Menthol crystals how to use?

OK so I’m ready to try making my own menthol concentrate for diying. So went to my local compounding pharmacy and bought 4g’s of menthol crystals just to play around with. Now I use flavor art Artic winter and I like it alot so a dilution that compares to it would be fine. My question and problem is what is the dilution rate? I Googled menthol crystals how to use for ejuice and that’s when my problem happened everyone has a method for dilution but it’s to their own taste nothing is definitive so that’s why I’m looking for a dilution to match Artic winter. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Can’t say for Arctic Winter, but from the Menthol (TPA) notes

Description from TPA web site 12/22/16:
Menthol Liquid (PG)
Below is the formula for our Menthol Liquid For 1000 grams (1 kilo):
660 grams menthol crystals
340 grams PG (equals 327.553 ml of PG)

So about 1/3 PG and 2/3 Menthol Crystals by weight. ( But about 50:50 by volume)
This product is sold by weight, and the gallons may not appear full.

1 Like

I am worried. Which menthol crystal did you buy? Is it “safe” for vaping? This is why I would purchase from a vape related vendor…because there are lots of different compounded versions of menthol in this world.

5 Likes

some menthol cyrstals like maybe the ones u got have a oil in them…they are used to make muscle body rubs…for sore muscles…i would ask the druggist if he knew if they contains any oils

1 Like

So 4g of menthol crystals to 4g of pg right?

1 Like

@Chrispdx they are usp pure menthol crystals and all are derived from essential oils from what I have read and understand the oil is heated up and cooled and then the crystals form I could be wrong but the pharmacist said they are used in all preparations.

Most of the menthol you’ll buy in a concentrate for vaping is either 10% menthol or 20%. I also have Arctic Menthol and it wasn’t strong enough for me but I’d guess 20% would be close. I dilute by weight 100g crystals in 100g PG. For a while I was mixing the crystals by volume using roughly 66% crystals and 33% PG but it took longer to dissolve and would try to recrystallize in cooler temps.

2 Likes

That would seem to be the case.
I seem to remember that moderate heat (30-40C) would help with dissolution

1 Like

I mainly use Artic winter for bringing out the flavors in my fruit Mixes and mix with it at .75 - 1.5% it’s just enough to make the fruit pop with a light cooling effect.

1 Like

Since you’re using such small amounts, I’d recommend mixing 2g of your crystals in 8g of PG and test it out with small batches of juice to see how it compares to Arctic Winter. I get my crystals from Amazon 4oz at a time.

1 Like

That’s a great suggestion but I also use it in a few recipes at higher %'s and from what’s been said I’m leaning towards a 50/50 mix but I’m going to wait for some more responses before I pull the trigger.

1 Like

use the sauna crystals
dissolve
1gr in 1 ml pG
let sit and shake
be careful
for me 2 or 3 drops to 10 ml juice.
u always can ad more…

1 Like

1 Like

I was a Newport person when I smoked love the penguin though. I think this is the way I’m going to start but the place I want to be is able to make a 4oz bottle and use it as I do the Artic winter instead of drops it gets to be a pain in the ass 100ml and larger bottles.

My experience is that if you make large batches at high percentages it becomes difficult to dose in a recipe.
what I did is the 10% rule, it worked for me… 2 grams of crystal and 20 ml of PG so it got slightly higher, hot water and shake, hot water and shake… that’s it.
This way I can dose it better and a 1 to 2% is more then enough for me…
I’m more or less “variating” the Heisenberg and I wonder why nobody used crystals with it… it’s so bloody clear that they used them, u know… blue meth…:joy:

2 Likes

Thank you it’s the starting point that I’m looking for. I’m not one to just go and waste my supplies and money that’s why I bought a small amount because if I’m not happy with the outcome of this Im not stuck with oz’s of crystals. That’s what is great about ELR if I have a question all I have to do is ask and someone will come up with the answer.

1 Like

Beyond the way I use it, you could also consider the way TPA do their Menthol Liquid (PG) which is:

Menthol Liquid (PG)
Below is the formula for our Menthol Liquid For 1000 grams (1 kilo):
660 grams menthol crystals
340 grams PG (equals 327.553 ml of PG)

hope this one helps you too!

1 Like

that is not a 10% rule… 10% rule would be 2g of crystals in 18g PG. That way you have 20g of which 10% is crystals and 90% PG.

2 Likes

I know that… thank you for pointing out and not misleading people…
I should have said higher…diluted. :joy:

At that time I didn’t do it in weight and what I did is to take a 20ml bottle put 2 grams of solid cristals and filled it to the 20 ml mark I knew, throw it in hot water just for a quick test… so it could very well have been 18mls, at the end… I still got it :joy:

3 Likes