Mille-feuille (Clone Thy French Pastry)

What is this thing??

The mille-feuille (French pronunciation: ​[mil fœj], “thousand-leaf”), vanilla slice or custard slice, also known as the Napoleon, is a French pastry whose exact origin is unknown. Its modern form was influenced by improvements made by Marie-Antoine Carême.

Traditionally, a mille-feuille is made up of three layers of puff pastry (pâte feuilletée), alternating with two layers of pastry cream (crème pâtissière). The top pastry layer is dusted with confectioner’s sugar, and sometimes cocoa, pastry crumbs, or pulverized seeds (e.g. roasted almonds). Alternatively, the top is glazed with icing or fondant in alternating white (icing) and brown (chocolate) stripes, and combed.

Just look at it…

To make a mille-feuille cake, you take puff pastry, make out of it five cakes of equal size, & of the thickness of two coins, in the last one you shall make a hole in the middle in the shape of a Knight’s cross, regarding the size you will base yourself on the dish that you will use for service, bake them in the oven. When they are baked & cooled, stack them one on the other, the one with the hole on top, & jams between every cake, [sentence unclear, maybe referring to covering all sides with jam] & ice them everywhere with white icing so that they appear to be a single piece; you can embellish it with some red currant jelly, candied lemon skins & pistachio, you serve them on a plate.

Let me know what you think?

Have you ever had this? Is it as good as it looks?

What flavors do you see here?? What would you use to make this vapable?

4 Likes

Apart from something called Flan de coco, a “napoleon” is by far my favourite pastry.

Even tho its concidered for the elderly around my parts, I always strap on and go deep with 2 slices when a cafe have them fresh :smiley:

The main part of a napoleon is the cream / custard part, which consists of a eggcustard mixed with whipped cream (there are variations, but some layer them, some mix them etc). The flaky pastry is a butterdough, with a powdered sugar frosting on top. Thats the basic ones at least, the more fancier types add other flavours. I’m a purist and dont need anything stealing attention away from the custard…

When you eat this, you usually use a pastry fork, to more easily crack the crusts, while some just scoop out the cream and eat the flaky layers by them selves…

To crack the aromas needed to achieve this, well I’m not sure… but JF’s bavarian cream plus maybe VCv1 (CAP) for the custard part? I’m also thinking frosting by flavorah for the powdered sugar part… the flaky butterdough im more unsure of, but croissant sc (WF) springs to mind, but needs to be a sweeter flaky pastry, so maybe layer it with some sweet dough (FLV)?

Anyhow, nice pics and a good challenge to get this down :smiley: I’m expecting to see some long steepers here haha :smiley:

4 Likes

Love these kind of desserts and as I started vaping, till even today, always my goal. But so far it has been impossible, because you want to keep it authentic, not putting a American or whatever spin on it.

This puff pastry is very unique and the only vaping flavor that’s possible to be recreated with is croissant. Now here’s the issue, as usual flavors are not accurate to bottle/label.

We not only looking at a true authentic croissant made out of puff pastry (not butter croissant) but also a flavor that’s strong enough.

So far there’s none. (WF) croissant could be bend but it’s a butter croissant not puff pastry, which is important. (VT) croissant is a hybrid, we’re they didn’t know what they eanted, for this dessert not an option. Nobody else makes a acceptable croissant so far in my opinion.

The cream is not a custard, I know it looks like it but it is not. Again true to Europe it’s probably a pastry cream, which normally is a mixture of whipped cream and/or butter cream. This can be archived more or less, if you find a authentic tasting whipped/butter cream that doesn’t mutes the recipe at higher percentage, but still tastes like it.

Then as indicated, the inside of the pastry layers is thinly coated with a marmalade/confiture, mostly dark berry mix. This is possible to recreate as well, the berry marmalade aspect, but you can’t layer it as such, so your whole cream and pastry is going to taste like wild berry mix lol.

To top this off, this is not American plastic sheets of icing, Europe used marzipan/buttercream/creams as icings. None of the vapeable icing is that. It’s all artificial American icing, some are more plastic than others.

And since it wasn’t bad already now you need to implement a toasty pistachio crunch later on the bottom pastry slice, not all over the pastry :wink:

I still would say try, but these kind of desserts are my nightmare and pleasure to the same time, just like black Forrest cake, many tried yet everyone failed. This is a other one of these, with current flavors available not possible if it should taste authentic, as well as correct layering which won’t work with vapes.

If the plan is of not authentic, then we don’t need to look at the picture, all you gonna need to create is a berry custard with dough aspect. That isn’t difficult lol.

For reference, Jazzy_Girl took a attempt at it, not sure how authentic it is, in my opinion looking at the ingredients it’s more of a cake then a actual puff pastry, but maybe it helps.

6 Likes

I don’t know if it can be recreated or not, but some 20 years ago me and my brother would get stoned and go to a bakery that was open at 3am to eat very very bad Mille-feuille (which tasted totally awesome when we were stoned :smiley:)

4 Likes

Just thinking out loud (in text that is), and this could probably be done with fewer aromas.

Napoleon Dynamite

3.00% Vanilla Pudding (Flavorah)
2.00% Bavarian Cream (JF) > These 3 to form the eggcream/custard base.
1.00% Vanilla Custard (Flavorah)

0.20% Caramel (FA)
1.00% Croissant (SC) (WF) > These 3 to form the pastry, with a bend towards the custard.
2.00% Zeppola (FA)

0.10% Frosting (Flavorah)
0.20% Golden Butter (CAP) > These as addatives to give a slight toastyness, butteryness and frosting.
0.75% Toasted Marshmallow (TPA)

Flavor total: 10.25%

I think you would want to focus on that creamy mouthfeel, with a linger of “fried” or well baked buttery but still flaky dough part in there somewhere.

4 Likes

I’m not much help here. I just wanted to say that mille-feuille sounded like Milly Foo-willy when I read it, and totally made me think of Milli Vanilli! Cary on :smile:

3 Likes

Chiming in, thousend leaf Is actually the way that the pastry itself is made.
Mille foglie is 2/3 layers of pastry with a cream in between (crema pasticcera/custard) and sugar icing on the top.
That’s the straight forward recipe… From this base you can actually add/do whatever you want.
Our recipe would boil down to:
GC clear or similar
Crema Pastioccera (FA)
Vanilla frosting…

I know it’s not that simple but I believe in KISS ing… :joy:

4 Likes

I’m just lurking around reading this, reading that…and then I find this! This right here is the memory of my father. He turned me on to Napoleons. He loved bringing home fresh pastries of all kinds and this was one (or maybe thee one) of his favorites.

Good luck in creating a recipe. I imagine it wouldn’t be easy. Until then I may have to visit the local pastry shops. Lucky enough to have two in the area. Hmm, maybe I’ll get one from each and compare them :drooling_face:

2 Likes