Mixing by weight - flavor weight

Wow that etekcity goes all the way to 2000g AND does hundredths…if I still have problems gonna order one, theyre only $14 on walmart site…thanks!

It’s worked for me so far. I don’t use the tray when I mix. I feel like it just gets in the way. Also, it has an auto shutoff but you can disable it if you hold down the tare button and change the number that comes up to 0. The backlight will go off but the scale won’t.

About 0.787 g/ml (spec. grav of ethyl alcohol).

1 Like

Thanks @JoJo

I have had this issue with some ‘stuff’ other than drops on scales in the past… I would note the weight, add x amount, then if it didn’t change, rather than remove the ‘stuff’ I would simply tap the scale lightly enough with my finger to force a change and see where it settles back to, that has always worked for me in the past, so hopefully it would work here too…

2 Likes

I used to tap mine too but I think that might be what was throwing it off. Blowing on it was a great trick IDK why I never thought of it… thanks @JoJo

1 Like

I have a plug in scale and I’m guessing that’s why it never turns off? LB Weigh Scale on Amazon

1 Like

The AWS LB-501 Under $23 on Amazon [also Prime free 2 day shipping]
Uses 4 AA batteries [included] and shuts off [auto-off] after 2 minutes
Uses a/c adapter [included] and never shuts off
Also comes with a bowl and (2) 200g calibration weights
500g maximum [500 x 0.01g]
5.5"w x 7"d footprint (closed) 5.5"w x 8"d -14"d (open-fully open)
Independent on/off light switch
Simple/easy/fast calibration check
7 months of regular use, no problems. Still as accurate as some of my expensive powder scales

yep it’s a great scale :slight_smile:

1 Like

Be careful NOT to order the Etekcity 2000g scale it is .01oz not .01g…The two look exactly alike and just about the same price so someone could easily get them mixed up and I looked at the wrong one when I posted before :sweat_smile: I believe the .01g Etekcity scales only go up to 500g. I have always liked quality of AWS brand though never seen a plug in one, may have to check that LB-501 out :thumbsup:

Correct, it says “500g x 0.01g” on the back.

I dont understand why my luck with scales is so bad…I got my etekcity and put the 100g calibration weight on it to check it and it says 100.10g …Etekcity said they would send out another but man does it suck knowing my mixes are off a hair IDK why it bothers me sooooo much but it does and now I dont even wanna use it lol. I thought maybe the calibration weight was off but thats its only purpose in life…If it fails at calibrating properly than why even make the weight. Only sucky part is the etekcity scale requires a 500g weight to calibrate it…go figure!

I figured since im not planning on buying any more scales, I mine as well just get the calibration weight for it…

What specifics are the problems?
My mixes are always off a hair [a cat’s hair], because the cats help me.
Never enough to spoil a batch though.
A 100g weight is plenty enough to calibrate with for what we do.
Relax…what is the issue? Roll one or grab a cold one, or meditate.

You have a $20 scale (?) yes?
I have some $300 scales for weighing gunpowder and they are not much more accurate than my $35 Hornady.
Which would you be more concerned about?

2 Likes

The Etekcity scale requires a 500g weight for calibration…I’ll be Alright lol but yeah It is only a drop or two that may end up off but I guess my goal is to pin point a “perfect” recipe so I can get good enough to make a bigger mix and not worry as much about potentially ruining the whole thing. I would also like to try and make concentrate bases too but its really just me being OCD about getting it right I guess…Didnt think that I would have this kind of luck either and it probably started with buying cheap scales locally instead of researching. I trust the Etekcity is good and figured if I have the scales I should prob be able to calibrate them or if they get off a bit Im stuck.

I totally understand OCD , some of that stuff has been known to get on me…like ticks.
I surely hope I didn’t sound ugly towards you…I just read my post and thought [who wrote that].
Anyway, why does your scale require a 500g weight…
American Weigh Scales [AWS] makes some high-end scales, and some inexpensive ones.
Many of us use the AWS LB-501 It’s a 500g capacity and comes with 2 x 200g weights.
AWS makes a big brother to it, the LB-1000 It’s a 1000g capacity and comes with 2 x 200g weights.
The LB-501 is about $22 and the LB-1000 is about $40
I have a AWS PNX-1001 1000g capacity that’s hooked up to a laptop and a printer. It was about $380 and came with no calibration weights, has an 8 digit readout instead of 6 digit, and it weighs the same accuracy as most of my other scales that cost far less [with the exception of additional digits].
The AWS LB-501 even reads the same accuracy as my Royal and my Pitney-Bowes.
I do have a dozen or so calibration weights, and rarely test them, but I never drop my scales or get rough with them…but when I do test them, I generally do them all, especially the ones I use for gunpowder, precious stones and metals, etc. and they all pass.
I surely hope the new ETC works.

1 Like

That was rhetorical, right?

MAGNILOQUENT… !!!

HAHA I needed that laugh lol …I was wondering why it needed it myself…I saw that Aws table top one that plugs in I almost got it but the other was a bit cheaper. Save a buck and cause a headache sometimes might not be worth it in the long run but I guess I do need to relax a bit(your post kind of reminded me to initiate “lighten up” mode lol) and have more fun making liquid, thats what its really about, yeah?

For my own sanity I finally just gave up on multiple tares. It seems any scale can easily get “confused” after a ton of them. Maybe theres always some slight changes it does midway through and throws it off a hair(it will show zero but really be -.01 or .02). I just find it easier to not tare, so if I need to I can take it off and it should be zeroed out already. I can turn it off and on or check accuracy with cal. weight if its driving me crazy haha…I just keep a calculator and add along as I go if need be, so im even less likely to slip :relaxed:. At least I know what flavor may be over or under a hair where it seemed harder to pinpoint the culprit the other way around. Some of these Flavoring bottles make diff sized drops and when im only using around .1% of a strong one just that tiny bit off can hurt a batch. I guess if I can start doing bigger mixes or flavor bases, it wouldnt matter quite as much since itd be a larger weight of everything. I am guessing the smaller the mix, the easier that something can go wrong. I just hope I am not the only oddball in the world with these problems :upside_down: