Movies and Shows - What do you recommend?

US version. I’m wondering where it’s supposed to be set. I’m thinking maybe Oregon. There’s some beautiful scenery. Just binged the first season. You can tell it’s from the same people that did Lost.

I grabbed the first season, ill give it a go after i finish Smallville again. Watched Bosch Season 2, still a great Amazon production.

I hope the returned doesnt end up like Lost, i never even finished it i got so pissed.

One of my favorite shows is The Voice. At least until they vote off all the good people on the show. Then it just pisses me off.

Deadpool was awesome. I have seen it 4 times now. Great movie and I can’t wait til they come out with the next sequels. I don’t see how that is a movie they are going to be able to make many sequels of because they will never find anyone to play that part anywhere nearly as well as Ryan Reynolds does.

Another one if you haven’t seen it is Trouble with the Curve. Clint Eastwood does it again. Great movie.

And JoJo turned me onto the Daredevil series on Netflix. I was hooked after watching the first show. Great series and phenomenal acting and story line. Season two comes out this Friday! Woot!

2 Likes

Wow…glad too see I am not alone in my nerdasity when it comes to watching Sci-Fi / Fantasy.

On regular TV I really just watch the local news and the occasional special on Discovery or History channel.

On HBO I am still into Game of Thrones, even more so now as the movies will catch up to the books and the long awaited ending (I read the first book 20+ years ago). One thing kind of bothered me when the shows first came out and I guess it still does though. NO ONE knew WTF GoT’s was way back when…it was kind of like (one of the many) little gems we fantasy “aficionados” kept to ourselves. I used to NEVER tell people what I was reading for the look that came over about 80% of people’s faces. Their faces kind of go slack and they start to fidget a little, whilst thinking “what a NERD!” …but this was BOFORE the current state of affairs, where geek is chic and I have even heard that having played D & D in the past, as a kid, no longer holds the death penalty in at least 9 States in the Union.

I say PROGRESS!!

Now on SHowtime I was STUNNED by The Knick. It is set in the late 1800’s early 1900’s (the car is JUST starting to be used) at the old Knickerbocker Hospital in Manhatten. Hospital gags are usually not my thing, that time period also isn’t usually for me…but 5 mins in to the first season, the first episode, Clive Owen, who plays the lead, had me totally engrossed. The man is amazing and it gets a 10 out of 10 according to me (GoT’s only gets a 8/10 btw) so please, I implore you (yes YOU watching the Kardashians) go check this one out!

For my money, Black Sails is the way to go on Starz Originals…it is fun and entertaining. Lots of fresh faces you just know you’re going to see again in other shows.

other notable series: Silicon Valley (HBO) I die laughing every episode. OH OH…True Detectives on HBO is freaking incredible. Each season starts with a whole new cast (W.Harrelson and M.MaConaughy in season 1 and (Colin Farrel, Rachel McAdams and the AWESOME Vince Vaughn in S2). It is spooky, moody as well as dark and gritty and AWESOME!!. Slow paced and building with tension, this is a don’t miss RED ALERT kind of thing. I give it 9.5/10 actually.

For me, movies in the last year or so is all sci-fi and fantasy for me I think. I thought 47 Ronin was amazing, Seventh Son was fun. Last Knights was incredible…according to my g/f I am developing a man crush on Clive Owen. Who couldn’t? I have been watching a LOT of movies lately so…

Oh…“Get Hard” with Will Farrell and Kevin Hart was funny as hell…AND…I have converted a one-time Will Ferrell h8r into a fanatic, which means I get to watch everything from Zoolander to Step-Brothers to The Lego Movie once again!

I hate to end on a low note but…my biggest disappointment this year (and easily most predictable) was Star Wars:TFA.

I want to say I love just about anything JJ Abrahms has anything to do with. He has the midas touch, man. Since “Lost” and with “Bad Robot” production company, JJ has been a solid source of many hours of entertainment over teh years for me.

Something about Star Wars just didn’t do it for me. Maybe it was just the first episode in a trilogy and they were forced to spend a lot of time introducing new characters and places…but…I dunno. I actually liked the last couple "new"Star Trek movies much better. Which brings me to a point:

One cannot have the same person directing both the Star Wars and Star Trek series. I love JJ. I know the whole world loves JJ (we may all also hate him for the way Lost ended) but irregardless’ this is not meant as anything against JJ. I just know somewhere in the universe we disrupted the time-space continuum and likely killed billions of life forms by allowing JJ to direct both “Star” franchises. If we aren’t careful we are going to end up with “Star Confused” and have Young/New Spock trading punches with young Harrison Ford, whilst old (now ghostly:cry:)Spock fighting with old drunk Harrison and god only knows what Kirk and and Darth Vader will be doing. Am I the only one willing to address this?

Oh YEAH!! That’s on my list WAY above the whole SuperMan V Batman sillyness…

I thought it was a gag show when I saw Ben Affleck in the trailer…swear to god…

Yeah, might as well have cast Bobcat Goldthwait or Pauly Shore. Ben Afleck isn’t much, even with what he does best. Which also isn’t much. I did like him in Dogma, Dazed an Confused and The Sum of All Fears. But for the most part I think he comes across as a high school quarterback that was waiting on his girlfriend’s drama class to end, and stood in for one of the actors who called in sick that day. Hard to take him seriously even when he doesn’t play serious roles. Batman may be…well Batman. But it’s still deserving of an actor with some gravitas. Too bad they couldn’t just brush the dust and cobwebs off Michael Keaton.

EXACTLY!! Well said, sir!

I started watching a Screener of Star Wars a week or so ago to see if it was worth seeing. I don’t like screeners, but I can easily watch one and know if I like the movie. I was 20 minutes in and turned it off. It didn’t feel right. I have high hopes that if I force myself to sit and pay attention to it I will like it. But I don’t know if I will be able to. Maybe it gets better after that. But to me it seems they have taken something away from the show other than the terrible acting. Or do they reintroduce Jarr Jarr later on? :slight_smile:

I too love the new Star Trek movies. It is a touch too hip for my tastes, but the cast works. And it’s just great seeing how much that series has changed over the years but managed to produce great movies over and over.

Currently working on The Americans, about cold war kgb spies living in the USA.
Merlin (not sure if its the BBC one you mentioned or an American make?) I have three seasons of that downloaded.
The librarian, similar to warehouse 13.
And warehouse 13 also.
Catching up on Vikings also right now, have three seasons, hopefully finish in time for season 4 soon.
That’s my list we are slowing knocking out right now.
Some other ones I liked is The 100, Continuum, Californication, Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black, and if you like anime/manga, Death note, and Souleater are decent. And of course DBZ…
I’ll think of some more later, currently on break at work :stuck_out_tongue:

11.22.63 is a pretty good show, Hulu makes it. About a man who goes back in time… I leave the rest to be discovered…

2 Likes

YEAH! Vikings!! Forgot about that one…we have a new season coming out any day now. I highly recommend getting caught up as the opening in season 4 is sure to be nuts, given where 3 left off…won’t spoil it…just get caught up!!

1 Like

@SthrnMixer im now 5 eps in on The Returned, quite an enjoyable show. Thanks!

EDIT: And i just found out it was canceled, bummer.

2 Likes

Yea, I love that show, my girlfriend and I are still in season 2! lol, well, I have seen season 2, but not 3, she is way behind, I could be cought up in a day or two, she just doesn’t binge watch shows as well as I do, she tends to get up and do other stuff randomly and misses most of it, so it’s tough to stay even :slight_smile:

Can’t believe I forgot about Black Sails! That is another pretty good show.

On a more frustrating note, one of my roommates upstairs just got caught torrenting, and Comcast sent me a copyright infringement warning today… But, In-case anyone cares, I will post the file name so you guys are aware it is being watched… and having a little talk with my roommate about being more careful (I share my wifi, 1gb network with 170mb down, with them free of charge, and really don’t want them getting my service terminated, or worse.)
So yeah here is the info Comcast sent me…

Filename: Thor.The.Dark.World.2013.720p.BluRay.x264-NeZu
Reporting Party: antipiracy2@dtecnet.com
Reporting Party Case ID: 222123451548
Infringement Date: Sat Mar 12 00:56:32 EST 2016
Infringement Method: BITTORRENT

Season 4 is already out. It started Feb. 18th. I have 4 episodes downloaded already.

2 Likes

Oh crap. Guess I know what im doing for my day off, tomorrow!

Billions on Showtime is a great series. Just finished the first eight episodes, can’t wait for what’s next!

lordy I have EXACTLY the same problem. Then I get yelled at for watching w/o her so we are perpetually out of sync that way. God help me if I told her I prefer watching solo so I am not peppered with endless questions while trying to watch…so I am trying to simultaneously watch/comprehend/explain. And she isn’t unintelligent…in fact much smarter than me…I think she does it on purpose.

I can sit and blow an ENTIRE day just watching GoT or whatever and vaping about 50mL’s of SpaceMilk and just be happier than a pig in poop. Two episodes into the binge and she gets squirrely and wants to walk the dog or cringe …vacuum …

:slight_smile: Thank god I love her.

1 Like

whoa whoa…what??! Was he torrenting in or out?I know it goes both ways but was he downloading a show from someone or was someone getting it from him? And was it FROM his BR player or is Blue Ray just a designation of quality?

That’s some scary stuff man…I never torrent any more if I can help it as it creates security issues I am not comfy with and I knew it was able to be monitored but…never occurred to me they actually are doing the monitoring. I just knew they were ABLE to.

Thanks for the info. I have to go call about 97 people now…