Musicians of ELR: Share Your Sounds and Stories

@mrpipes I have ZERO woodworking skills, and often times it seems the guitarists get all the kick ass wood grains. Love me some beautiful wood !!!

7 Likes

Truly nice work, sir. I wish I had met you 20 years ago. I suspect that one of your custom builds fit right in with my Valley Arts and PRS. Oh well…lol. You sir are my favorite type of artist. Thank you for sharing. Please feel free to share more if you feel so inclined. I, for one, would never get tired of seeing your work.

4 Likes

That is gorgeous. You have a pic of the whole kit?

2 Likes

14 Likes

That is a badass kit, man. I have played with several drummers who played Master Customs and they sound great. Very nice, indeed. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes

@WitchWolf and @mrpipes thank you. Mrpipes the acoustic drum industry has been beat down pretty hard by the conservation of certain woods as you probably know. Woods that used to be usable are now out of reach. The reason you probably can’t tell the wood type is because it’s Bubbinga. BUT, this is where it gets interesting. I do have a full bubbinga kit, but this one is actually an all Birch kit, with the outer ply is stippled. Bubbinga has a tone all it’s own, as does Birch. When I heard Pearl was using stippling on some of their finishes I wasn’t sold on it, until I saw it in person. Get the looks of bubbinga, with the weight savings, and tonal characteristics of birch all on the same kit.

6 Likes

You can see I don’t even have the brass on in those pics. Everything’s baddass, UNTIL you have to mic it, mix it, or move it LOL. This kit doesn’t move, and I was afraid Pearl would discontinue the finish, so I, … ummmm, bought a couple extra, … just in case. 20 heads is a lot of heads to change and tune. And, it took a while to find the sweet spot on the tuning, because I couldn’t tune in 1/5’s like I normally do. It can be a PITA at times, and as is always the case, bigger doesn’t make it better, just gives you a LOT of choices.

4 Likes

Oh man I would be all over that bass. Really beautiful. If it sounds half as good as it looks, its a masterpiece.

3 Likes

Love the grain on the back of the neck too !!!

1 Like

I hear ya. Drummers have it rough when it comes to gigging for sure. Even a 5 piece is a pain compared to a guitar rig…lol.

4 Likes

So how many musicians can identify with this?

You have a gig and show up a few hours early to haul your gear in, set it up and do the sound check. I play bass so it didn’t take me long to wheel in 3 cabinets, my Anvil case with my amp head and one or two basses. Then I would help the drummer haul all his stuff in, and the riser if we had one for that show. You work your ass off setting everything up, then one minute before showtime, the lead singer shows up, takes his mic out of the case, says “check… check… one … two”. And then he acts like he did his part. Thats why I like my B.C. Rich basses with all the sharp corners. Sure Mr. Singer Man… come over and jam with me (poke jab poke) OOPS sorry, too bad you couldn’t show up with the rest of the band to help haul equipment like you agreed to. BWAHAHAHA

Just seemed to be the norm with singers lol

5 Likes

Yep yep! Looks like the typical fender, or old music man spaghetti. lol (Though the upright shield is throwing me for a loop on the model/specifics atm.)

Great looking tweed though!

(And you know I’ve got a whole lot more to get back to you on in this thread. I was just going to wait until I had a clear head to knock it all out. :laughing: )

But I will say right now STUNNING luthier work brother!

5 Likes

I may be a drummer, but I love them tubes !!!

5 Likes

This is an awesome thread.

8 Likes

“Musician” is a bit of an overstatement, but I like messing around with audio software. It usually doesn’t go anywhere, but sometimes I have my friends over, Jay Z and Method Man and Dr. Dre (he can lay a beat better than I can. He should do something with his talent! ) and a dude with a nasal rap voice called snoop dogg. So yeah, they’re aspiring rappers, obscure stuff though, you probably don’t recorgnize these names.

Anyway they freestyle for a bit and I add some gritty beats and that sounds like this… (this is with Jay Z. You can probably hear some Dutch old school house influences in the theme tune or whatever you call a chorus without singing :slight_smile: )

The picture is from a Vodou exposition that came to Amsterdam some years ago. . Very impressive, these puppet armies.

Another example is with Method Man and Redman from some garage rock band called The Wutangers or something.

OK one more then: this was my MASSSIVE summer hit of 2017 (it was listened to 13!!! times! not counting myself!)

But yeah I can see why the fans liked it. It’s a cool tune, it has a reggaeton / dembow beat and it features Snoop, Dr. Dre and Dizzee Rascal.

The picture = me, yay! It says “Kreg 't zuâh”, which is some local slang for “Go suffer from acid reflux!” or “Get regurgitation!”. It also means "get the citric acid or lemon juice or pickles.

It’s typically Dutch to swear with diseases: the whole world is about taboo sex when they’re mad at you (“motherfucker”, “your mom blablabla prostitution”, etc) but the Dutch kindly wish each other cancer or typhus or tuberculosis. Although it sounds much better in Dutch I must admit: “krijg lekker de kankerteringtyfus.”

Anyway, please buy my albums. I haven’t got any but I can quickly whip something up if you’re interested.
I’ll name it Pestpokke & Touwtyfus, that probably sounds authentic to you guys.

10 Likes

That tells me two things.

1. You’re not the average drummer. (of course we already knew that.)
  2. You have good ears (and good taste! But again, we knew that. Lol)
6 Likes

Musician is actually quite appropriate! That shit is dope! Sounds like you’ve spent some time in the Smartshops and Coffeeshops getting your head on straight. Good stuff!

5 Likes

Smooooth brother!!
Love the ‘slow burn’ vibe this has going! :applause:

Also dig the Steven Tyler thing the singer has going on at times!

2 Likes

Thanks! It was a really fun band. That’s the first Steven Tyler reference I’ve heard! He usually got a cross section of Joe Cocker, Tom Waits and Randy Newman when people tried to explain his voice. Glad you dig it!

2 Likes