Musicians of ELR: Share Your Sounds and Stories

No idea what triggers the association, but I especially dig older Aerosmith, and even some of their “unpopular” later albums. Often because they were never afraid to explore, and varied influences always shined through.

Thinking about it a bit more though… I think it’s mostly the phrasing rather than tone, but to me, has overtones of ‘Kings and Queens’ (Draw the Line), or ‘The Reason a Dog’ (Done with Mirrors).

There’s definitely an element of the voice that does it as well though, primarily the raspiness combined with the phrasing. But I’m betting most trigger on Joe Cocker or Randy Newman because of the the old school piano tone, and the fact that it’s so up front in the mix. :wink: YMMV though! lol

2 Likes

I’ve been playing this for what seems like forever, I’m really good at it… :sunglasses:
music

9 Likes

That HAS to be a stock pic. I’d bet at least $10 that you’d have licked half the color off yours by now! :crazy_face:

7 Likes

My other love… I can bang out some serious dings on this thing… :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Playing with your “ding-a-Ling” !!!

4 Likes

I’m still practicing this one but I’m getting there…

stick_0

7 Likes

I’ve not heard a good stick solo in a very long time! You should make one and share it with us!

4 Likes

Well darn, broke it in half… :unamused:

2 Likes

Dang dude, easy with that grip!

1 Like

You “:nauseated_face:” your own post… :rofl:

4 Likes

I just wanted to see who :nauseated_face: so I clicked it to see. :wink:

4 Likes

Alright… Simma dow nao you two turkeys. lol
We’ve got a great thread going here! :wink:

3 Likes

Sorry, here’s my story… :sunglasses:

mystory

2 Likes

@Sprkslfly Thanks Rob. Not only did I have plenty of time to grab guitars and basses when on break and appreciate tube amps, I started to notice another trend. The more I recorded it became obvious the analog boards were really capturing the sound I liked for my kit. Personal kit, studio/house kit, didn’t seem to matter. Although I have recorded a lot of material I often times didn’t own the master so I don’t have much of the work, but even with the bands I’ve worked with, I started to notice a trend going back to some of the older analog boards (like the big Mackie), pushing down to DAT’s only for critical listening before final mixdowns, punch in’s, etc., and then finishing/mastering on 2.5" tape. I’m not anti digital, but analog whether tubes, or equipment just seemed to add warmth, and better capture what was going on, with little to no compromise, despite NOT being as “hi-tech” as some of the newer solutions. Just my .02.

3 Likes

@Plunderdrum I think ^^^^ that nails it.

1 Like

Looking at the pix of your kit has me drooling. Man how I wish I hadn’t given up playing!

I also can’t help but notice you’re a lefty. That right brain, left brain stuff working in your favor :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you @SthrnMixer. What’s LEFT of the brain that is lol.

3 Likes

Once a drummer, always a drummer. It’s never too late to come back ! !

4 Likes

I tried playing one of those but never could play good so I play a guitar instead it’s easier
:grin:

5 Likes

I am now trying to master this next:

4 Likes