My GPRIV 220 Mod Exploded!

That is Sweet!!! Love the finals on that bad boy. That must sound wonderful!

1 Like

Totally off topic, but kinda since you said youā€™re knowledgeable on Radio Frequency, yes? Iā€™ve been having a problem when I listen to AM radio at night-Iā€™ve been getting a good amount of ā€œcontaminationā€(Or is it signal bleed? Iā€™m confused!) when trying to listen to C2C on AM radio. It sounds like Iā€™m picking up an Oriental radio station, but it fades in and out with static, sometimes completely obscuring the voices from C2C. Am I picking up shortwave radio? Is there a pirate radio station somewhere nearby? Iā€™ve tried surfing up and down the dial to try and find the source, but Iā€™ve never found it-I usually get more C2C from a station much farther away that ā€œsurgesā€ in itā€™s broadcast clarity-it goes from barely audible to REALLY LOUD WITH LOTS OF STATIC. Iā€™ve tried the google, but I must not be using the correct terms as I wind up with some really odd search resultsā€¦If thereā€™s any light you could shine on this, Iā€™d be forever grateful!

At night the ionosphere changes and radio signals bounce differently. Sounds like you are picking a bounced wave up. Small powered radio stations can transmit pretty far from this bounce. Probably is an oriental radio station broadcasting at the same frequency of the station you want. If you are using an external antenna, you could try an antenna that is ā€œweakerā€ but itā€™s hard to say how much effect that will have. Depends on the relative difference between the strengths of the signals. We used to take advantage of this condition in Germany to establish a link to the east coast at night for GIā€™s to call home for the cost of a domestic call. It was called a Mars station ā€œMilitary Affiliated Radio Stationā€. There are a few on the east coast and they work with a network of stations throughout Europe, or at least did in the day.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome! I cant even begin to imagine what Ma Bell was charging for an international call back thenā€¦

Thanks for the info. Seeing as Iā€™m on the Left Coast, Iā€™m probably picking up Radio Thai or some weird station. Guess Iā€™ll go looking for AM radio stations in the Orient to see if I can hone in on what Iā€™m actually picking up!

Absolutely! Go for it! That would be a hoot. CB radio users used to call it ā€œskipā€. Usually it was ā€œone wayā€. You could hear but the person on the other end could not hear you. But every once in a while it would work two way and they would call it ā€œworking the skipā€.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a cyberpunk/SF story in that phrase somewhere!

1 Like

Akin for sure. Worm hole-esk.

1 Like

Nice, I just ordered a new set of tung-solā€™s - 6 12ax7ā€™s, 1 12at7w and 4 matched 6l6gc str, and a sovtek 5ar4 for my amp. Different kind of amp but it will breath like fire with these new tubes.

On a side note to the topic. Iā€™ve been using for over a year and have personally sold more than 50 sets of the new 3000mah 35a efest 18650ā€™s. Without any problems or negative feedback. Iā€™ve since been getting vtc5a and vtc6 from nkon and really enjoy them though. I will add that there are lots of people who buy and resell fakes from dhgate and alibaba as well as wholesalers from those sites who also sell their fakeā€™s on ebay. But both dhgate and alibaba also have some of legit wholesalers whom also sell on ebay as well. Just have to do some research.

Really comes down to shady people and not always the brand per say.

2 Likes

@Whiterose0818
I have four Efest 18650 2600 mah 3.7V BT PRO batteries. Yeah I knowā€¦ but I bought them before reading about them here in ELR. Mixed reviews. On top of that they are button top so from what I know, the only mods they will fit in are mechanical? Which worries me. I have seen a few online with similar black/gold design like thisā€¦but donā€™t see then in Moochā€™s list.

My question is should I trust them not to vent or worst case scenario thermal run away? Iā€™m tempted to toss them after reading this thread. I bought from a shop in Colorado and they did come in an Efest box. Are they rewrapped? IDK Unused/not charged they test out at a 4.13V.
Thy donā€™t fit in any of my regulated mods or my Whiterose but I use the Sony VTC5A in it. I also have a Hammer of God V3 and a Stentorian RAM BF Squonker which Iā€™ve yet to use. In transit and a preorder.
Any advice would be appreciated. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I personally wouldnā€™t use any thing efest. You donā€™t know what your getting. Stick to the big 3, Lg Sony Samsung, from a reputable seller and you shouldnā€™t have to worry.

4 Likes

Yeah I should go with my gut I suppose and toss them. I bought them cheap a few months ago (For spares and to total up an order to get free shipping) before reading the horror stories associated with them. Bad choice I guess. At the time I read the button tops would fit in a lot of the regulated mods but find that they donā€™t. I have 4 of the Sony VTC5As so will stick with those for my unregulated mods.
Iā€™ve read others here use Efest with no problems so was hoping they could be used for something. But not sure if itā€™s worth the risk.

3 Likes

I know a lot of people do use Efest brand but I look at it like this, 1- I like my face and hands, 2- anytime something goes bad in the vaping world due to some kind of malfunction, whether it be from user error or misleading ratings, itā€™s just more firepower for those that would like to see vaping die. I donā€™t want to contribute to those peoples cause.
My first set of batteries were Efest. Guy at a B&M said they were great batteries.once I found Mooch, I tossed those batteries in the trash and have stuck with the big 3 and only buy them from IMR.

3 Likes

Yeah that Mooch is brilliant. And I buy all my other batteries from here. I think they are pretty reputable.

3 Likes

They are highly regarded. Good choice.

1 Like

Low amperage items are fine for eFests. I use some in my 18650-capable flashlights and they work alright(Helluva lot better than the 3x AAA batteries, at any rate!)

2 Likes

Good to know. Iā€™ll hang on to them then and use for other than my mods. Thanks @paingawd and @NChris. :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Those cells arenā€™t worth the risk to use for vaping, imoā€¦but they do work really well in flashlights.
I have several 18650 flashlights that I use my old 18650s in and they work great!
Lemme know if you need links.
You can get really nice flashlights for under $20!

5 Likes

ive looked for a few for cheap prices and usually only find high costing Flashliggts that use 18650 so a link would be great

2 Likes

Here last time I bought them they came with a sleeve to take up the extra room of an 18650
Gosund T6 LED Flashlights-Water Resistant Zoomable Tactical Flashlight of 5 Light Moā€¦ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D4HL93C/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_jDJPzb0XB3SJ3

1 Like

Glad you are ok @Salsawy . By now, I only vape by the built-in or single 18650 battery mod. Maybe low power, I think it will be much safer .