N.E.T Creations and Reviews (Naturally Extracted Tobaccos or Teas)

Nice thinking @Errl!

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--stainless-steel-o-rings--P002_060_006_002

1 Like

yep, thats where Iā€™ve seen them! about 13 years ago when i had a job there as a young lad lol

1 Like

Yeah, good idea @Errl. My funnel is slightly tapered. Itā€™s 3 inch at the top, and 2.75 inch at the bottom, where the filter paper sits. Itā€™s 1.75 inches deep. If I could find something like those, that were 2.75 OD and made out of square stock, it would be perfect.

1 Like

here ya go buddy, I think they have 2.76 square :wink:

http://www.jbprince.com/professional-culinary-molds/ring-molds.asp?viewall=1

like this here might work: http://www.jbprince.com/molds/valrhona-perforated-square-tart-ring-2.75-inches-length.asp

1 Like

I think that 2.75 dia round one might just do the trick.

Thanks Errl!

1 Like

no problem! glad I could help! I thought you were saying you needed a square oneā€¦ I did think a square funnel was odd :laughing:

1 Like

Oh dear, yet another useful thread that I will have to comb through in the coming weeks.

3 Likes

Yup. There are a few useful NET threads here on ELR. Not too many folks make their own NET around here, but those that do will be glad to share their trial and error methods, even if it has been discussed in a thread already. :grinning:

Iā€™m vaping on a creation right now! Very tasty and satisfyingly tobacco ladened!

1 Like

Looks nice! 10% EM Iā€™m assuming this is in the dessert category. Iā€™m glad to see a NET mixed with synthetic flavors. Once I manage to source single variety tobacco here in Canada Iā€™ll definitely be trying some hybrids with synthetic flavors added.

1 Like

Itā€™s a 9:1 dilution. 9 parts PG/1 part ethyl maltol crystals. It gives my NET mixes a nice burnt sugar or caramel note. :wink:

You can buy a small bag of EM crystals from many flavor vendors and have enough for a lifetime of mixing; most folks just buy it premixed for ease of use.

Hereā€™s a happy little link for educational purposes: :nerd_face:

1 Like

I do it quite often when I want a bit more tobacco umph in my synthetic mixes and in reverse when I want a bit of something to flavor my NET.

2 Likes

Hey nice article! They also have one on Coumarin that I checked out. I do have a bottle of ā€œCoumarin Pipe Tobaccoā€ by FW that I havenā€™t payed much attention to. I recall making a 3% tester and not being wowed. Maybe time to give it another go. At least it will be properly steeped by now.

2 Likes

I am thinking of going with an Aeropress for my extraction/filtering process. :thinking: Iā€™ve read a few good things about this ā€œtoolā€ for the hobby.

Between that and some 2.5um filters, it should improve things on the gunk factor of my NET.

Sometimes itā€™s just the natural dextrose in the tobacco, from which one canā€™t escape, that causes the gunk; Virginia tobaccos especially.

2 Likes

That looks nice. Not too pricey either. Definitely within my DIY budget. Added to my shopping list!

2 Likes

I read that these fit with ease in the filter cap:

:grinning:

It needs to be mixed between 15-20% (their own recommendation) for it to be any good. Iā€™ve got a bottle of it myself but FW is rather weak. It has been a while so I donā€™t recollect the taste but I see in my stash I gave it 4 stars. I guess it is ok but not great, will have to revisit.

1 Like

Awesome! Just need to find some actual leaf here in Canada and Iā€™ll be good to go. Gonna try to avoid blends and aromatics. Just untreated single variety. Will have to see if I can order from US but I kinda doubt it on account of the nicotine.

15-20% is a heck of a lot! I found the tester I did and itā€™s a 5%. Will try it out later today and maybe mix up a 15%. Iā€™ve never smoked real coumarin tobacco so not sure what to expect. Iā€™m sort guessing itā€™s in the condiment category but if thatā€™s the case then it will have to be mixed in much lower percentages. Will make a post on results.

1 Like

Okidoki, all caught up on this thread. Not to be a wet rag but anyone looked into negative health effects of NETs? I know many e-juice companies send their mixes off for testing and I wonder if any NET e-juice companies have done the same. Or anyone making NETs for that matter.

I realize weā€™re all guinea pigs in the great vape experiment but I do try to be as informed as possible on the health side of things.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t tell you where to look for info such as that. :thinking: But, what I imagine is that as long as we are omitting the combustion part of the scenario with using tobacco, itā€™s probably no worse than inhaling all of the synthetic molecules related with other flavors. :smirk: I gave up sucking tar and 4000 other nasty chemicals into my lungs, so I donā€™t feel the least bit bad about inhaling a NET. :grinning:

3 Likes