Need input -Mix by weight and heat?

Okay going to order these items tomorrow.

Been wanting to try measuring by weight.

Also wanting a heated mag mixer so thinking about giving this one a try

Would appreciate thought of those who measure by weight and mix with a heated mag mixer

2 Likes

@tartarusspawn You are spot on, wanting to mix by weight, the only real, consistent way to mix. Now as far as the HEAT thing, you may want to research that. VG might be the only thing that you would ever want to heat. I don’t heat anything, and mix with a heavy 70vg/30pg mix. Heat will ALWAYS pre-oxidize your NIC, and many times can also mute/dull flavors, so IMO, think twice about the heat.

2 Likes

Only part I really heAt right now is vg, pg , and flavors, Nic is added at a later date… more interested on thought of equipment … what do you think of the scale?

I like the specs of the scale, EXCEPT that it appears to be battery only, and there is an auto-shutoff, which you may learn to hate.

AMIR Digital Kitchen Scale, 500g/ 0.01g Pro Cooking scale with Back-Lit LCD Display, Accuracy Pocket Food Scale, 6 Units, Auto Off, Tare, PCS Function, Stainless Steel, Batteries Included (Silver)

Here’s what many of us are using, plug it in, never shuts down in the middle of a mix, easy to calibrate, accurate to same specs as yours…

https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-LB-501-Digital/dp/B005UGBG20/

5 Likes

Auto shut off on scales can be a pain, I would search for one without that feature.

3 Likes

Oh, the bowl comes OFF, LOL, I threw it away, nice smooth top, great back lighting. I re-calibrate mine every time I move it with (2) 200g weights. If mine ever dies, I’ll get another one.

2 Likes

same one I use, works great

2 Likes

Question:
Is there an a c adapter?
Answer:
No. But an additional spare battery.
By Jack H. on July 21, 2017

Question:
How long exactly before it automatically shuts off?
Answer:
The switch time can be set to 60", 120" and 180". To change auto-off time among 0/60/120/180 seconds: please press “M” key, after choosing, press “ON/OFF” key to confirm the setting.
By AMIR Direct SELLER on April 13, 2017

1 Like

@anon13011326 is wise

1 Like

Thx changed scale was looking at that one earlier saw batteries required so went for the cheaper battery. But see in questions of one you linked ac adapter included

2 Likes

What happens to your juice during a “speed steep” is much like what happens to your wool sweater when “speed drying” instead of hanging it out to dry. You’re diminishing your flavors; degrading them with the prolonged exposure to heat. Your flavors are made up of volatiles- chemicals that are already fairly unstable in a solution. By adding heat to these volatiles, you’re causing them to change structure entirely. The recommended way to use heat while mixing is to just warm the bottle to about 90F to make the VG thinner and easier to mix. DO NOT KEEP THE BOTTLE WARMER THAN ROOM TEMPERATURE FOR LONG PERIODS.

Heat:
AVOID excessive heat at all costs! Heat will only accelerate the oxidation of nicotine. While it will also accelerate the oxidation of the flavorings, the activation energy to do so is much lower than required. Within our laboratory, we have concluded that a room-temperature after bath between 20-30C is ideal for maintaining a stable steep temperature.

3 Likes

Thx , session for confirming my thought that heating the initial mix without nic to thin the vg is a good idea.

1 Like

With most (very) similar scales, setting the auto-off time to “0” seconds turns it off permanently.

2 Likes

Using heat to “speed steep” is much like what happens to your wool sweater when “speed drying” instead of hanging it out to dry. You’re diminishing your flavors; degrading them with the prolonged exposure to heat. Your flavors are made up of volatiles- chemicals that are already fairly unstable in a solution. By adding heat to these volatiles, you’re causing them to change structure entirely.

Heat your VG separately. Warm the bottle to about 90F to make the VG thinner and easier to mix. I use hot tap water. That’s it!

3 Likes

First I was just wanting opinions from people who use these types of equipment.

Second I’m not trying to speed steep juices. I just heat up my premixed a little to thin thin vg To aid in the initial mix. Then they sit on shelf steeping until needed with no nic and honestly speaking from experience I notice no difference from mixing with a little heat (setting mason jar in boiling water long enough to thin the juice, roughly about a minute) and no heat, other than it easier to blend Everything together in the heated mix.

Now I’m not saying your way is wrong or my way is better. Everyone does it their own way and enjoys vaping what they make.

Thou honestly I’m I’m interested in what one ELR member said and May try it . Let it sit on Warmer mixing for a few hrs… and compare the two in a blind taste test. Me being the mixer I can’t be completely impartial…

2 Likes

@tartarusspawn You’re in luck, you came to the right place !!! :slight_smile:

That’s the way you do it, test it yourself, and see what’s best for you.

1 Like

I may try to heat my vg a bit as well to thin it. I just pour slow and careful right now, but the last few mixes I did seemed like an air bubble or something blocked the liquid and made it bubble over the bottle. It did this even when i used a funnel. SO weird but sheesh today was a messy day for me.

I say whatever works for ya works for ya. Everyone has their own way and it isnt that big of a deal to do things a bit different. Hell some o f us suck down the juice so fast that whats bad for one might not matter to another…js

1 Like

Yea but I got other people I mix for. So a blind taste taste will be easy

Here two bottle of strawberry cheesecake tell me which you like better…

A or B

Once I started using the Liquid Barn bottles, I never stopped…

1 Like

I ordered 20 of the 500 ml bottles for my 0 nic premixes

Even transfer my pg and vg to those bottles so I can see how much I have left. Also plan to start buying pg and vg by the gallon…

2 Likes