New study suggests vaping damages the heart

The biggest pro of all, if you ask me, is the lack of second hand smoke. So even if we choose to damage our body (however small the risk/damage is), we’re not dragging our kids, spouses, other family and friends in it, we’re not doing any harm to others.
So please, stop nagging and let us enjoy our harmless vices. If they’re going on about vaping so much, they should do the same for people addicted to fast food, alcohol and whatever other vices there are.

6 Likes

The bbc did a recent in depth study on ecigs and they concluded that e cigs are 95 percent safer than tobacco cigs.And indeed e cigs might be 99 percent safer than smoking.The 1 percent is the nicotine element which might temporarily constrict blood vessels.So if you have this evidence what are you going to do if you are a smoker?Well the logical conclusion is to become a vapor.It is weird.These pc people in S .F.are up in arms because Trump pulls out of the carbon reduction movement yet hammers the vaping community.Talk about sheer Hip -o-cracy.S F.is not a city i want to visit anytime soon.These nut jobs like cohen have taken over the asylum which is S.F.It is a left wing hellhole.

I am just going to throw my 2 cents in here…
I think, while the OP chose poorly on which “study” to highlight to make his point, there is a valid point he was trying to make at the inception of this thread. Be diligent, be critical, be cautious with EVERY study. I have also noticed a bias on information that is passed around among the “vaping community”. Vapers latch onto any study that proves they were right and vehemently denounce those that don’t fit the narrative we are trying to pass on to the public. I understand that it is important to make sure that we combat the bad publicity that the FDA and BT are passing around to scare people away from the giant financial threat that is vaping, but we need to be open minded about all studies, then research the holy fuck out of them until we get to the bottom of the methods and agenda being put forth. And the goes the same, or even doubly so for any studies that come out in favor of the benefits of vaping, so that we can see the flaws before our opponents do. I think that was well explored in this thread, on the articles mentioned by the OP, and since he had an ax to grid, he kind of missed that that was what was happening, right before his very eyes. But where an opportunity was missed was when he asked for analysis of the British study to prove its viability, as of post 107, none was given. We need to be able to not only cite studies that highlight what we know to be true, but also be able to defend the legitimacy of those studies with information about the methodology, sample size, and results. I hope that all of this comes out as I intend it to, as a call to arms, a way to make us better at defending our position that Vaping is a wonderful way to improve our health and the health of millions of others. Sorry I was so late to the party! :smiley:

4 Likes

Arterial sclerosis can be caused by a number of things, being in the medical field and a vapor for 3 years. I can honestly say that the harm reduction benefits out way the slight risks from vaping. Just my opinion,

1 Like

fox news and dailymail? :confused: idn…

1 Like

Most of the arterial stiffness is due to the nicotine which also happens with alcohol, caffeine, coldness, stress, exercise, and if you bladder is full.

What the article doesn’t state is that arterial stiffness reduces within 30 minutes of vaping for 30 minutes vs taking 60 minutes for smoking for 5 minutes. To say that vaping for 30 minutes is just as bad as smoking for 5 minutes is disingenuous if the effect of arterial stiffness is reduced in half the time.

Here is the full study by the way: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0735109716326559

We already know that nicotine causes arterial stiffness https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19207722 but it’s effects are short term.

I’m also curious why they would use 24 smokers as the subjects for the study. Most of us coughed like mad when first getting used to PG/VG and guess what, coughing also increases arterial stiffness.

The double-blind randomized controlled trial (RCT) is accepted by medicine as objective scientific methodology that, when ideally performed, produces knowledge untainted by bias. This test wasn’t even close to what I would call an accurate “study”.

I’ve reduced my nicotine level down to 1.5% and reduce another .5% every 5-6 months. Point I’m making is there are already studies that link quitting smoking to less arterial stiffnes, and that’s due to the elimination of nicotine.

If you can reduce your nicotine level down to very low or 0% then really it shouldn’t have any effect on arterial stiffness.

8 Likes

I really like the discourse on this topic. I’m a scientist/engineer so critical fact based discourse is my game.

That aside…I think folks seeing vaping as an FU to big tobacco or some kind of threat to it are likely misguided. My nicotine is grown as tobacco in south carolina. Most nicotine avalabe is tobacco derived. Vaping ain’t hurting tobacco is (just) my guess.

Like with weed, until the goverent figures out how to tax it, the lobbyists will be able to effectively argue against it. They’ll be successful based solely on the economics and their campaign contributions of course. If you want to stick it to big tobacco…you gotta stop vaping nic IMHO. When you see big taxes levied on nicotine, which I doubt, is when big tobacco will take a real hit. Right now we are just a new, rapidly expanding market for their new product.

2 Likes

@micah2 Thanks for the studies! It is great to hear more information, about the whole story behind the original argument.

@therabidweasel I agree whole heartedly. The way forward is to cut all ties to tobacco. I try, when it is applicable, to get non-tobacco derived nic, and personally have been nic free for years. I think the real goal of all vapers should be to move away from nic altogether, but for some, it just isn’t an option, nor will it ever be. I think suppliers should seriously consider moving to an industry standard of tobacco free nic. JMO

3 Likes

Lots of good info here. And the debating skills were entertaining to read. For the most part, our community stayed grounded and logical. Good read guys and gals!

6 Likes