New study suggests vaping damages the heart

1 Like

Remember, when you canā€™t win an argument, just throw insults. I could say youā€™re a moron too, but i donā€™t need to drop to your level. Nice to see people only like insults when the people they agree with are slinging them. The definition of butthurt. Iā€™m sorry we donā€™t agree. I think Iā€™ll somehow manage to get over it though. I like how fenrir liked it but moaned yesterday because he thought it was a strong of me to suggest a person being rude to me was salty. So intellectually honest of you :stuck_out_tongue:
I think that says it all.

Iā€™ll make it simple for you, you win, youā€™re right, scientists must only be listened to when you like what they say, you win, did i mention you win?
:wink:

This is absolutely fantastic, absolutely correct, and presented in a way any lay person should be able to understand.

You can skip the skit at the end, unless youā€™re just a huge H. Jon Benjamin fan tho.

5 Likes

I spent a few minutes on Google and believe I found the original study publication here:
Electronic Cigarette Smoking Increases Aortic Stiffness and Blood Pressure in Young Smokers
Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Volume 67, Issue 23, Pages 2802-2803

I was not able to find a ā€œfreeā€ link to the entire article though. If anyone has access to a medical library and would care to post/share; I would be interested.

2 Likes

Oddly Dr. Farsalinos ran a study a few years ago on aortic stiffness and elasticity:

http://www.ecigarette-research.com/web/index.php/research/2013/144-electronic-cigarettes-contrary

Which concluded that vaping doesnā€™t affect aortic stiffness and elasticityā€¦

17 Likes

^^^^^^^^^^^

ā€œThis study adds to currently available evidence which universally supports that electronic cigarettes are significantly less harmful compared to smoking.ā€ - Great find @daath

From this Document:
http://www.ecigarette-research.com/EUROECHO2013-ecigs.pdf

ā€œResearch on ECs should be intensified since they may be potentially useful in reducing the adverse vascular effects associated with smoking.ā€

4 Likes

Despite all the ā€˜banterā€™ yesterday, which I quite enjoyed to be fair, your message is true, we are and should be open to suggestions that vaping may have long term effects, no one knows and only time will tell for sure, but your delivery was confrontational and that of someone that was against vaping IMO, I trust the evidence SO FAR that suggests that vaping is way safer than smoking and I have yet to read anything that would make me think otherwise, you donā€™t come across as someone who trusts vaping, so donā€™t do it?
I donā€™t trust parachutes, so I donā€™t jump out of planes wearing one.
My only concern with the article you posted is the effect it will have on the peopleā€™s perception on vaping and the potential to make less informed people go back to smoking and we all know how that ends, for that reason you shouldnā€™t pedal that sh&t, because thatā€™s what it is. Sh&t. And dangerous sh&t at that.

10 Likes

Thatā€™s bloody well it, Iā€™m off to Brussels to lobby for the CPD. The smallest pack of coffee I can buy is 250 grams, I think that is totally irresponsible and should be brought back to no more than 25 grams. Also I want a ban on those huge coffee mugs theyā€™re selling all over the place, half the size of an espresso cup should really be the limit, and I insist that caffeine free coffee should still be labeled as a product derived from caffeine. Are they absolutely out of their minds and what about the kids, with all those different flavours, all the latteā€™s and mocha shit and did you know that you can even get coffee with ice-cream in it? :smiling_imp:

17 Likes

Breaking News Everyone !! Nicotine is a stimulant.

Saying that inhaling nicotine, can momentarily increase blood pressure, and stiffen arteries, is like saying pouring water can make things wet. It is simply cause and effect. Next, letā€™s study the effects of proving the obvious on the gullible massesā€¦

8 Likes

Honestly, thatā€™s one set of data that just the thought of makes me cringe. Thereā€™s already far too many viable examples IMO. Iā€™d almost hate to know what the real numbers wereā€¦assuming we could get real numbers in this day and age. /sigh

3 Likes

In a world where studies are reported in a more accurate and scientific manner, if should have been reported like this:

"In a controlled study with a large representative sample size, scientists found a statistical significance between aortic swelling and vaporized inhaled Nicotine at concentrations of 6mg/ml, with an equivalent effect size among cigarette smokers who smoke 10 full strength cigarettes per day. "

ā€¦ And even then, it wonā€™t be newsā€¦ because nicotine doesnā€™t become less potent when it is vaporized.

5 Likes

FWIW? I trust parachutes FAR more than I trust ā€œModern journalism!ā€ =)
And yes, if I had the money, Iā€™d damn sure go skydiving!! (Itā€™s another of the things on my bucket list!) After being up in a bi-plane -another thing I think anyone with the opportunity should do, the amazing history really comes to life, and helps put things in perspective! :smiley:

3 Likes

dudeā€¦I was just making a point ā€¦tutā€¦:rolling_eyes:ā€¦lol

2 Likes

Point Schmoint. I was just sharing that Iā€™d loooooooove to go skydiving! :smiley:

4 Likes

I almost didā€¦onceā€¦years ago, for charity, but I had constructive spinal surgery so I wasnā€™t allowed, if I land hard Iā€™d pretty much just concertina into the floor ā€¦and that doesnā€™t sound like fun?, I canā€™t say Iā€™m sorry it didnā€™t happenā€¦:confused:

Yikes! Completely understandable. Hope things are better these days.

2 Likes

oh yeah yeah it was 4 years ago, Iā€™m 80% now, more than happy with that :grin::+1:

Iā€™m like basically Wolverine now :grin:

3 Likes

That looks savage, what happened?

1 Like

popped a disc, had to have it cut out and a prosthetic one put in, Iā€™m a lighting tech, it involves carrying a lot of really heavy rigging/truss round a muddy uneven field on occasion lol, ā€˜glass backsā€™ are rife in my industry

1 Like

I know people with popped / crumbling discs and they have so much pain :confounded: