New Years' Resolutions/Goals for 2017?

Wondering what the ELR family members have as their 2017 resolutions/goals :grinning:
I have ā€œbe more positive/positive thoughtsā€ & to make the time to read more books.
How about you guys?

7 Likes

Lose 64 pounds
Exercise more
Reduce stress
Increase Xanax
And from my favorite bookā€¦be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger.

7 Likes

Sounds like an awesome plan brother :+1::boom:

2 Likes

No offence to anyone, but IMO then most new years resolutions is for undetermined people, who needs a special occasion to make themselves a promise they most likely wont keep anyway. If people are determined to change something, such as stop smoking (which is probably one of the most common new year resolutions) they dont need an occasion to do so, if they need that they are not determined enough and will most likely fail.

Plans/goals on the other hand is another ā€œconceptā€ which is good to make and have :slight_smile:

My plans/goals for 2017 is to move forward with personal business, visit family and friends back in Denmark, get married and finally make sure my daughter get her danish citizenship.

7 Likes

Love this!!! I really needed to hear this quote and also try to heed it!! My resolutions sound a lot like yours! I need to reduce stress and find time to exercise more!!!

I can see how this could be for a lot of people, but there are also others who are just too busy to find the time to do things for themselves (like me) so they make New Yearā€™s a time to sit down and put things in perspective for themselves and maybe make a promise of something they have been meaning to do but never find the time to actually do it because they are always so busy with everything elseā€¦I, for one, always put my husband and children and their needs and wants above my own, except for my school work (I am a full time student in my 3rd year) and even that sometimesā€¦I always find myself cramming to get something turned in on time because I didnā€™t take the time to complete my work so I wait until the last minute I have to get it doneā€¦so I must disagree that New Yearā€™s resolutions are for undetermined people, because I am a very determined person, I am just usually very busy and do not put myself before anyone else I care aboutā€¦[quote=ā€œIumentum, post:4, topic:101395ā€]
My plans/goals for 2017 is to move forward with personal business, visit family and friends back in Denmark, get married and finally make sure my daughter get her danish citizenship.
[/quote]

Sounds like you have some great plans for 2017 though!!!

7 Likes

Lower my spendings on unnecessary bullshitā€¦ lower stress and eat healthier.

6 Likes

Iā€™ll just carry on as usual

8 Likes

Be more positive is a trap!! be more truthful. If something is terrible itā€™s terrible and you canā€™t shine a shit sandwich. Iā€™m not being personal but putting out there another way of looking at it. The positive psychology peoples have fooled us into thinking itā€™s the way to contentment.

In studies itā€™s shown that those that were more ā€œpositiveā€ during a fight with cancer fared much worse psychologically then those that embraced the crapness of it. Just sayingā€™ as an example. There are plenty of other examples where looking for the positive in bad situations can cause things to go worse. The GFC was caused by a positivity syndrome in a way. People couldnā€™t speak up about the bad trades going down at fear of being negative.

Vulnerable and hard emotions and thoughts have their value, I think the positive movement which has become the only thing in the last 10 years comes from the fact we tend to exaggerate and focus on scary things. Gosh we are protecting ourselve and media and news donā€™t help we feel like the world has never been scarier or not great. But the fact is that itā€™s never been safer, never been better to be a human on earth. So just remind yourself to be truthful. Is that guy being a doochr or are you being too hard on him. Are you really fat or not at all but put on 1lb, whatā€™s the worst thing that can happen if you ask that girl out. Truthfully nothing but itā€™s scary.

Take it all as you wish, itā€™s just a annoying thing I see that teaches us that certain things are bad when they are not. Crying, sadness, vulnerability all are very valuable. Weā€™ve all met the complainer goes on and on and brings everyone down. They are not being truthful. Personally itā€™s a better tool for me. Allows me to recognise when itā€™s alright to be angry, sad, etc. Hope you don;t mind my rant too much. Can I recomend you ignore me if it doesnā€™t fit your tastes. Maybe just another way of looking at the same situation.

OK Resolutions. Itā€™s good to think about it huh! what things would help make my life more gooderer.
Keep not smoking, donā€™t spend too much on vape gear(booooo), I think Iā€™d like to do more strenuous exercise.(I don;t do any) , lets aim for 30mins minimum each and every week by the end of the year, Keep working hard!. I can only eat ice-cream If I make it. AHA thatā€™s a good one.

Cool thatā€™ll do. Happy new years everyone. I hope we all can get huge amounts of luck in the upcoming year. Huge, may all the cards be dealt your way, each of the good people. And may the rotten bastards get bad luck, lots. Hah!

9 Likes

This is an excellent one!!! I eat way too much ice cream (my husband does too!), but I cannot make it soā€¦

2 Likes

The only New Yearā€™s Resolution Iā€™ve ever kept is about 20 years ago when I resolved not to make any New Yearā€™s resolutions. Since Iā€™ve succeeded I donā€™t need to make any new ones! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

I donā€™t make resolutions, itā€™s setting yourself up for failure. Get stressed about making those resolutions, which leads to depression and beating yourself up for things you couldnā€™t get doneā€¦which then spirals into poor self esteem in reduces the desire to strive for what you want.

Naw, Iā€™ll stick with a list of goals I would like to achieve and give my all to everything I try.

First Goal: Stop buying more flavors. Effective immediately :slight_smile:

9 Likes

My goal for 2017 is to try and save up enough money to buy a more reliable car. I would like to be able to visit my family without feeling guilty that someone has to come get me and be able to get back and forth to school without worrying if today will be the day it finally falls to pieces. LoL

10 Likes

Give up red meat. More cardio to take advantage of not being an actual smoker.

8 Likes

Okayā€¦I am officially confusedā€¦I thought that a resolution is a goal/plan for the futureā€¦I thought they were one and the sameā€¦

1 Like

In a sense yes. I just worded it that way since some people donā€™t agree with the word or idea of resolution lol

5 Likes

I think a resolution is something youā€™re committed to doing and a goal is something that you may or may not get around to doing :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Resolution: A firm decision

Goal: Think of something you want to do, or work towards

8 Likes

Ahā€¦okayā€¦thanks guys!!!

2 Likes

I want to live even more healthy, do more yoga, see my family more - share more love

5 Likes

To continue challenging negative thinking patterns and to step outside of my comfort/safety zones a little more. And to reduce caffeine intake :+1:

5 Likes