Newbie to DIY

Hi All, am a complete newbie to DIY, have supplies arriving today and was wondering what is a good flavour percentage to start of with? I have been vaping decent juice for a few years now, Jazzy Boba, Wacky Pony etc. Juices with a good punch of flavour. Generally I use Kayfuns between .8/.9. Any info most appreciated.

3 Likes

Is that Overall or per flavor?

Per Flavor:
Take a look through the recipes and you can guage an average percentage per flavor, there is also :: Flavor list e-Liquid Calculator each flavor has user notes where you can pull average percentages.

Overall:
That depends on the types of flavors and your end product.

7 Likes

I second what grubby said. Flavor percentages vary a lot based on what you’re going for and what brands you use but definitely start with that link and see what people are using. That’s usually a good starting point.
Typically people try to keep their total flavor % under 20%, but with that being said I have a few recipes that are between 22-24% flavor, and then I have some that are around 6%. So again, it really depends.
Would you mind sharing what flavors you have coming?

4 Likes

Hoary for DIY supplies coming by in. Grubby hit the main point.

If you would like answers you may want to share what flavors you have coming in…like name of the flavor and brand. For instance…strawberry ripe tpa. You should get some additional specific replies by doing it. Some of my great mixes only have 4-6%

3 Likes

Read the “Notes” sections on the Flavors. Many of our fine members have posted their recommendations. If 5-6 people say they prefer 6% - start with 6% :slight_smile: You will seldom be steered wrong here.

If someone says “go easy, just a few drops” … trust me. USE JUST A FEW DROPS lol

4 Likes

Thanks guys for your replies very useful info. I guess i am looking for overall percentages. I will check out the link you posted Grubby, thank you. The juices I have arriving are,
Wild Strawberry 10ml Molinberry
Sweet Strawberry 10ml Capella
Bavarian Cream 10ml Capella
Strawberry Taffy 10ml Capella
Kiwi Strawberry 10ml Capella
Sweetener 10ml The Flavor Apprentice

2 Likes

Most of those except for the sweetener are probably going to be somewhere around 4-6% in a mix (roughly). You’ll be able to see if you follow that link. Make sure that when you look up each flavor that you hit “recipes” or “ratings” at the top of the list. That will bring the correctly formatted entries up to the top of the list for you so that you have a more accurate idea of what most people are using. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

your thinking exactly like I did when I started, I always worked off a 20% overall flavour, I read it on a different forum somewhere, it’s just not the case, start small think big, you can always add but never take out, these guys on this forum really know their stuff, your definitely in the right place buddy

2 Likes

I did the same thing. Every.single.recipe. was 20%. Lol needless to say I didn’t like many of those.

2 Likes

same…couldn’t even taste most of them after a month lol (face palm)

2 Likes

Cheers Guys, funny ye should mention 20% as I had seen or heard that number being said elsewhere. I’ll be taking your advice Pugs and start small. Try not to scare myself away at the beginning. Have spent the afternoon getting comfortable with the site, I may need to order more juice!!! Haha

2 Likes

Yeah, don’t be scared. It’s to much fun to be scared of it. :wink: If you’re gonna order some more flavors, I recommend checking out the top ranked mixes and see if any sound good to you. Then order the flavors for those. And for the ones you already have, try mixing them up as single flavors and let them steep for a week or so. Then you can see what they’re like, and start mixing them together. Good luck!!

1 Like

Have ye any suggestions for people to follow for recipes?

Me! Just kidding, I still hardly know what the hell I’m doing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Well, I mean you can follow me if you want to, you’re a grown-up, I won’t tell you what to do (I’m not the FDA… :wink: ). Lol but seriously, peak around the forum and see who posts a lot. Most of the regulars here post some good recipes over on the recipe site.

2 Likes

Check out these threads for some inspiration.

3 Likes

Like many of the others, I’d suggest you generally will have less than 20% flavor. You’ll need to maintain at least 20-25% pg for it to work well in a kayfun, but get there by adding pg. Many of my own private recipes have as little as 3% flavor. Some flavors are so strong they will be noticeably present at just 2 or 3 drops in a 30ml (flavorah lime for example). Watch the sweetener, too much will kill your wicks/coils really fast, 1% is usually enough.

4 Likes

hahaha, ill be keeping a close eye on you here alright, you seem like you have more info than you let on! :smirk: Have put my first 2 mixes together, nothing to crazy, let them steep for a day or so and ill report back. :+1:

1 Like

Cheers JMak642, just done 2 mixes there, one has 3 flavours, kept the total to 10%. the other is a single flavour at 8%. making small batches to start, can scale up when I’m happy with a mix. i look forward to delving further into the rabbit hole!!! LOL

1 Like

My info is pretty much just regurgitated info that others have given me! I’m pretty good at pretending to have my shit together. :wink:

Just make sure if it doesn’t taste good after one day to keep trying it every other day or so. Sometimes the magic doesn’t happen for a week or more.

2 Likes