Newcomer looking for a little direction

I had (still do sometimes) the same issues you have.
Started vaping store bought liquid (Heisenberg) and discovered instead of paying £4 for 10ml i could but the concentrate and make my own.
One i had the basic kit and a few batches under my belt i started looking at mixing other flavours and like you most of them had a perfumey or flower taste but smelt fantastic.
While I can’t offer any advise (a newbie myself) about your issue i can offer a suggestion of getting a set of weighing scales. When i first start looking at mixing other flavours I found ELR while looking for advice, good, friendly, knowledgeable people who were going beyond just giving advice :thumbsup: to all of them.
It was here where i first learnt of mixing by weight. If I had to keep using syringes I probably would have given up on DIY.

Just noticed that no one has asked if you had shaken your flavour concentrates prior to mixing? This is a must and something my wife seems to find amusing when i do it (i don’t know why :innocent:)

2 Likes

If your shaking technique is like mine, I know why! :fist:

I once made a horrible tasting single flavor mix with a quality tobacco concentrate; it had an incredibly dirty, ashy taste and no tobacco aroma even after a month of steeping. Realized I must have forgotten to shake the flavoring bottle and the contents must have separated to a fair degree to give such a vile flavor.

3 Likes

Speaking strictly for myself here, but I’ve found that if you try to mix a few different flavors to get a certain flavor, let’s say Skittles, you will have much better luck than just buying a single concentrate that is supposed to be Skittles. I’ve learned that single flavor mixes just don’t cut it for me and I only use them to test what the flavor is like so I know what I can play with when mixing with other flavors. The next thing to remember is to purchase brands that are well established in the vape mixing world. Stay away from the “gimicky” flavors. Lastly, ask questions! Lot’s and lots of advice to be had here and everyone is helpful.
Welcome to a whole new world!

3 Likes

Did you flavours come with the kit? I guess it’s very possible the flavours included are just low quality. I’ve read up on the flavours that came with my kit and they are supposedly from TPA, FW etc and even have that on the bottle, but it is still a third-party label from MakeMyVape so they could be lieing.

Yes, but I wouldn’t say it was as thorough as it could be. I’ll go cray on the shaking and put together a 10ml bottle, see if it makes any difference.

I’ll avoid single flavours in future and look into well supported flavours.

Gotta’ wait until payday before I can try anything new sadly so hopefully I’ll have some results in the next month.

2 Likes

I had the same kit. Most venders buy in bulk and then dispense into smaller bottles, normally with their own labels. I can’t see them lying as word would get around and they would not be in business.

Good to know. Just poor flavour choice then :wink:

Seeing as you are where i was when i started i thought i would show you a few recipes that I have used, these were the first that i was happy with the results and still make.

Mustard Milk - Simple Strawberries and Cream

Ingredient %
Strawberry (TPA) 6
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (TPA) 8

Flavor total: 14%

Remember to rate it at e-liquid-recipes.com!

twisted dick

Ingredient %
Bavarian Cream (TPA) 1
Strawberry (Ripe) (TPA) 2
Sweet Strawberry (CAP) 7
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (TPA) 6
Vanilla Custard v2 (CAP) 1

Flavor total: 17%

Grants Vanilla Custard my way

Ingredient %
French Vanilla (CAP) 3
New York Cheesecake (CAP) 3
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) 4

Flavor total: 10%

My daughter loves

Mikes Melons (Cuttwood Monster Melon Clone)

Ingredient %
Cantaloupe (TPA) 5
Mango (TPA) 5
Papaya (TPA) 5

Flavor total: 15%

I would suggest when you order your flavours you get them from https://www.chefsflavours.co.uk
They have a good range and very good prices.

3 Likes

Hi,

You will get a lot of advice here and you couldn’t be in a better place :slight_smile:

Here’s something I learned the hard way after 6 months of failure:

Try mixing your VG with 1% Vodka and 4% Distilled Water before you add in whatever percentage of flavoring you add. The water thins the VG, the Vodka breaks down the VG molecule so the flavors can permeate the VG. It will smooth the throat hit and make your flavors pop.

Follow the long standing mixers in here for recipes. Read the “notes” sections for recommended percentages on the flavorings as guidelines. If you see 6 or 7 people say “use 5%” than use the 5%.

This is going to take time to learn your own preferences and some of the flavors you will need to somewhat acquire a taste for. If a flavoring taste like crap or is burning your lungs, you are either using too much of it or you may even be a bit allergic to it. Start by using a teeny tiny bit of it.

You are in the right place, you just gotta be real patient with yourself.

1 Like

If it helps any in choosing some flavorings in the future, you can also view some of our ‘Flavor Stashes’ to see what most of the more experienced mixers are using. My stash for instance, is a pretty well rounded collaberation of what many of the awesome people on here have put together for me to help me get started with. I wouldnt tell you to pick any one particular brand as they all have their greats and not so great flavors, so try to research the top rated flavors (search flavor list for something then sort by rating or recipes and see what the top few brands of it are, then read notes on each to find the flavor profile you’re looking for).
Anyway here is a link to my Stash for you to have a good idea of the more popular used flavors out there, hope itll help some :slight_smile:
http://e-liquid-recipes.com/publicstash/50543

As I can’t get any concentrates until payday I asked my friend (works in the local vape shop) if I could steal some of his older concentrates that were almost used up. Ended up with a odd assortment including Bubblegum, Caramel etc, all Capella. Most notably though; Sours and Wine Gums.

I’ve mixed a 10ml bottle of VG, Sours, Wine Gums/Wild Berry and a drop of Tutti Fruiti and it actually tastes like Vimto. No crappy perfume taste. It did have an after taste that I can only describe as the horrible ice taste left in an ice lolly after you’ve sucked the flavour out of it (y’know, the horrid, plain ice water taste) but leaving it over night that’s pretty much been eliminated.

Think it’s safe to say my flavour choices were just poor and clearly, as stated already, mixing flavours is the way forward.

2 Likes

MASSIVE PRICE DROP PLUS 15% DISCOUNT CODE!!

(Previously Just Vape 247 ltd )

MASSIVE PRICE DROP PLUS 15% DISCOUNT CODE!!

www.justflavours247.com has dropped their prices considerably to adapt to the massive mixing market.

Capella 10ml £1.99 , sizes available up to 100ml
Flavor West 10ml £1.50, sizes availble up to 100ml
TFA 9 TPA) 10ml £1.50, sizes up to 100ml
Kandi Hed ( normal range) 10ml £1.95, sizes up to 100ml
Kandi-Hed Blended £2.55, sizes up to 100ml

WE ARE THE LARGEST STOCKIST OF VG BASED FLAVOURS! Did you know we were the first in the UK to stock VG flavours? We have over 100 flavours on offer. Under our Kandi-Hed brand.

We also sell AG based, which is Aqueous Glycerine, making the flavour thinner and easier to mix with.

Both our sites are still working, www.justvape247.com and www.justflavours247.com. Our new branded site is cheaper to purchase from!

All packages are sent via APC courier next day delivery!

AND IF THIS WASN’T ENOUGH… OUR 15% DISCOUNT CODE IS STILL LIVE UNTIL THE END OF THIS MONTH… USE " REBRAND" TO GET 15% OFF EVERYTHING ON OUR SITE. To enter the code, go to " view basket" and then enter the code in the box before checkout.

3 Likes

I saw The E-cig Shop mentioned here a couple of times. Just wanted to let you know that we get 12% discount with ELR12 :slight_smile: http://thee-cigshop.co.uk/

9 Likes