Nicotine salts vs. free base nicotine

I was gonna start another thread but thought maybe y’all will get back into the conversation…

Has anybody had an issue with nic salts making you short of breath? I have to admit that I like the way it hits me in the morning after sleeping for my allotted four hours. It is almost like when I smoked my first morning cig. The problem for me is, after a couple hits, I can’t BREATH. It scared the living crap out of me. I’m scared of dying, I am scared of HOW I die and being suffocated is a big one for me.

In all seriousness though. Has anyone else had this issue?

3 Likes

I switched to nic salts about 4 months ago, and never had an issue. Main reason for the switch was that i wanted smooth vapes, without any throat hit.

I do mix it at 3mg or 1.5mg only though, so I have no idea how would higher concentrations impact me.

4 Likes

Did you increase your nic?

2 Likes

When I sub-ohm I am about 2mg, When I MTL I am at 12mg freebase nic.

I have only tried one type of Nic Salt and that is Sapphire. I got it from Breazy I think. Oh and I purchased a Nic Salt commercial juice that does the same thing to me. The comm. juice is at 50mg and the one I purchase and put in my own recipe is 36 mg. I can only assume that that is quite a bit more than 12 mg of traditional (freebase) nic.

I hadn’t thought of that though. I reckon it could be that it is way too much. I may have to to an experiment.

@adary I love love love my throat hit. :grin:

3 Likes

From what I understand the strength of salt nic and freebase is the same. If you’ve only used 12mg of freebase with MTL then going to 36mg salt is 3x the amount which is probably the reason you’re feeling that. Just because you can go higher doesn’t mean you should.

5 Likes

Yes it’s like a real cig nic wise, at high levels.

Maybe ur not use to higher nic anymore and you body is feeling it, and your starting to have a mild panic attack, because your feeling it? I mentioed it a few times before, higher nicotine salts is something you will put down if you start getting too much of it. :hugs:

Try relaxing… if you insist on using it higher. And make sure to lower your wattage and take shorter smaller vapes, no intense heat.

Read the replys from Nic River here about using it in more powerful devices.

2 Likes

I agree

I don’t insist on it. It is merely ignorance. Thus the reason I posted the question.

Thank you both for your responses. I see I should have done some research on the subject. I did not realize
“From what I understand the strength of salt nic and freebase is the same” I don’t remember reading or hearing that at all. I ASSUMED that it was supposed to be higher, and yes I know what ASS uming does.

Anywho, that has got to be the problem then. I did watch a video that suck my mod put out on the subject and they say nic salt hits the blood stream much quicker. I have not watched the vid you posted Freddie3 but I will in a moment.

Ok, I watched it and read some comments… ??? I got nothing from it bro. sorry. I do appreciate the help though.

I may get some nic salts from them when I get some cash and I will start at 12mg to see what happens. Thanks guys.

5 Likes

Dan read all of the REPLYS from NR. Take your time and go through them. I undertstand it’s not the same brand, but it’s more information to build your knowledge base on.

4 Likes

got ya, will do.

4 Likes

Plenty of info here about nic salts - if you have any questions you want to ask in private feel free to drop me a DM

4 Likes

Just love this nicotine salt, just switched over personally. It’s so smooth. Had to double my nic mg’s to get the same kind of hit but that’s ok, nicotine was never the enemy. For me, it stopped the coughing and peppery hits that were quite common on the standard unflavoured nicotine. This is just my personal experience, anyone still on the standard nic…enjoy.

2 Likes

I’m a freebase nic girl, all the way. Been vaping for nigh unto 10 years now, and its just how I do it. I’m down to about 3% nic freebase, but that’s a choice. I could have gotten rid of nic years ago.

My brother juuust started vaping like a month ago, and he was determined to go with nic salts, regardless of my begging. He just didn’t think Nicotine down at 6% just would get him off tobacco. I get it. When I started vaping way back when, freebase came in much higher levels, because it was before sub ohm vaping days.

I refused to let him get a pod kit, because i know him, and I know it would drive him crazy not being able to tweak it to his liking, airflow, coils, etc. He’s sort of a hobbyist by nature. But as a new vaper, I did NOT want him playing around with 35 or 50 nicotine Nic salt juice and a device that can conceivably go sub-ohm… just struck me as dangerous. For an experienced vaper… sure no prob. But I wasn’t willing to risk it. So I had him get this little Vandy Vape EX-Squonk thing… its an RDA kit, but designed for salts. Device literally won’t fire with a build under .8 ohms, and its variable voltage (not wattage) and only goes up to like 4.2 volts. That way I figured at least with the 35 nic, he’d be safe, and have the ability to tweak his build, airflow, drip tip, etc.

He’s loving it, but I definitely need to swing by Nic River and get some nic salt base to mix him some juices, because those nic salt juices are like $20 an ounce! Nutty. I’m really looking forward to trying the differences between the two, freebase and nic salt. For him i’ll mix the nic salt at about 20 nic levels. But for me, to try the differences… I’m wondering, if I mix a nic salt recipe SUPER low nicotine, like 3%, I should probably use a traditional freebase recipe? Those nic salt recipes are designed more for the higher nic levels, I’m guessing?

2 Likes

Hi. I find it’s basically a game of doubles. 3mlg of freebase aquates to 6mlg of salt nic for the same kind of throat hit. Just a guide that I find works. I’ve never seen nicotine as the enemy, it’s addictive sure, just like caffine but harmless in vaping doses. When I started vaping, I instantly gave up the smokes and never went back, and think that is why it’s important to get your nic hit. I was an 8mlg smoker and vaper, on nic salts I raised my nic to 12mlg, a great hit plus so smooth and enjoyable, most importantly, never a peppery taste. It’s trial and error as you know, we must strive to find our perfect mix. By the way, I use a 15% flavour level and a 65pg/35vg ratio of pg/vg.

4 Likes

I discovered at about six months of vaping that I did not care for throat hit. I looked into it a little and found that analog manufacturers put in a chemical to reduce throat irritation among all the other crap they put in there. About every six months I have found myself halving my nic levels. In the last go-around, I was finding that free base at 2% was irritating my throat. I switched to salts at 2% and like this a lot. Cravings are satisfied and I really enjoy the smooth vape.

8 Likes

Salts and freebase are literally 1:1 for strength. There is no tweaking mg necessary, never was.

6 Likes

Last two comments are spot on for me, anyway. I switched to salts over a year ago, maybe 18 months. I use them at 3mg, same as the 3mg I used for freebase. I find it to be no different at all from FB other than the very welcome throat smoothness and lack of pepperyness. Very glad I switched because, like @SmilingOgre, the throat harshness was starting to really piss me off.

7 Likes

some do have propblems with Salts, mainly because trace componenst of the acids used to convert it to Salt-type.

3 Likes