Nicotine Strength Advantages / Disadvantages?

Hey DIY’ers,

I have been mixing my own juice for about 2 months now and have stumbled upon a question to which I don’t see any answers online. I started off with a “DIY kit” which came with a bottle of 48 mg/ml nicotine and some chintzy equipment and have since upgraded everything and am finally catching my stride. I am now running to the bottom of the nic that came with my kit and am about to purchase some more.

My question in a nutshell: is there any advantage to using 100 mg/ml nicotine over 48 mg/ml nicotine and so on and so forth? I can’t think of one for the life of me, but I figured I’d throw it out there and see what comes back before I order.

Thanks! Happy DIYing.

3 Likes

The only advantage for me is storage.It is easier to store using the one liter bottle of 100mg .Simply doesn’t take up as much space in the freezer.

5 Likes

no diffrence to flavour by higher consentrate

WHAT CAN TASTE BAD …
Depending on what brand and where you get it, ive had some horrible tasting nicotine before even at the same nic % 7.2 here in the uk
also VG and PG taste diffrent depending on company

Higher consentrate is better if you find a good one :wink:

5 Likes

Same thoughts as @BoyHowdy. :+1: It just takes up half as much space.

5 Likes

I also agree with @BoyHowdy about storage. You should get the most concentrated nic that you are comfortable working with. Dilute your nic yourself. Although lower mg nic is cheaper, you may see a inflated price for the pg/vg the vendor use to dilute their nic.

I’ve had bad nic too. You should research for the best quality you can afford.

5 Likes

It’s very toxic at that level, its a preference thing but I don’t buy it higher than 36 mg.

3 Likes

100mg/ml nic - You use less, it lasts longer…

5 Likes

Nicotine can be toxic at any level.Don’t drink it! :grinning:If you spill it then wash it off in a timely manner.Always wear glasses and gloves and mix in a ventilated area and you will be fine.
If you spill it and somehow ignored it long enough to absorb 1ml of 100mg nicotine through your skin , it will be about the same as smoking 50 cigarettes at once.If you wash it off immediately and absorb .1ml of 100mg of Nicotine it would be like smoking five camels at once.
Use common sense, do not let it get in your mouth or eyes and please don’t huff it!
If you don’t feel comfortable using 100mg Nicotine , then you shouldn’t use it.I like most started out using lower mg strength until I got completely comfortable handling it.I now would hate to go back to using anything else.
Less to store and less to measure out each time , makes life better for me.

4 Likes

Usually the price gets lower per ml as the strength goes up too. I use 100mg and don’t have any problems…well I had one problem. Just realize it’s poison and respect it. So wear gloves, clean up right away, and keep it away from people and pets. That goes for any strength, but it obviously gets more serious if you are dealing with 100mg.

Early on I had a problem when cleaning out my nic bottle. My face was right in the middle of all the steam from the hot water. I was breathing it in without thinking about it… well I got pretty sick and was in bed and out of commission for the rest of the day. Yes, I was being stupid and should have realized that would be a problem. I’m just glad I don’t buy pure nic because I can’t imagine how much worse it would have been.

3 Likes

I spilt 50mg/ml all over (drenched) my hand while mixing, I was half way through and my scales turn themselves off so I just carried on, I was thinking, “im going to be really ill from this”…

Nope, nothing…

It was on my hand for at least 3mins, I think if it had been 100mg/ml the outcome would have been different.

2 Likes

Storage, more often than not you will pay less per MG of nic in the 100 MG/ML value and being as lazy as I am I do most everything based on 100 ml bottles so numbers are interchangeable between volume and percentage.

4 Likes

You hit the nail on the head with two things here @BoyHowdy
Common sense and what do you feel comfortable using. I read a post recently from some guy using “pure” nicotine (1000ml/ml) and immediately thought not a snowflakes chance in hell would I ever mix using pure nicotine. Just thinking about it made feathers grow on my back I even crowed a couple of time. Yup I’m a big ole chicken when it comes to that.

5 Likes

To summarize, and add a few points:

100mg/mL Pros:
Higher Nic concentration typically a better value mL per mL
Potentially easier to store a longer supply
For Max VG applications, PG Nic has smaller impact

100mg/mL Cons:
Requires more care with handling
More prone to oxidation than lower nic (non-issue if you store and handle correctly)
Requires more precision with mixing

24-48mg/mL Pros:
Less toxic in case of a spill or drips
Oxidizes more slowly (should avoid oxidation regardless)
Small overs in measuring result in only minor increase to Nic level

24-48mg/mL Cons:
Less of a value than higher concentration
Need to store larger quantities for same amount of Nic
For Max VG applications, VG Nic likely preferred - requires effort to avoid hotspots

Personally, I mostly mix to 4 mg, so I use 24mg VG Nic as my base. I buy 1 litre, shake the hell out of it, divide it into 120mL amber glass bottles, and store them in a locked freezer. I keep one 2oz. squeeze bottle in the locked fridge as my “working” Nic. I pull it out 10-15 minutes prior to setting up my mix area so I can again shake it well before dispensing into my mixes. It works great for me. I don’t mind refilling my dispensing bottle after a couple of mix sessions, and I like that I’m not pulling the same nic in and out of refrigeration (and adding more oxygen after dispensing) many times over a long duration.

2 Likes

True, but a lot of people fail to account for the cost of the VG and/or PG in the mix. When you account for that and freight the price isn’t much better (might even be worse depending on where you shop).

So,
Who has information on the pros and cons of
Nic shield nic select and nic select
The information on nicotine river about the nic shield seems amazing, but id like you fabulous people to give me a real life review