Nicotine testing question

I am expecting my first DIY order this weekend and I am looking everywhere for all the info I can soak up but one thing I can’t really find an answer for is, will I need a nicotine testing kit to make sure I have my desired level in my finished product? Or would everyone be pretty confident if the recipes are followed? I’ve seen a couple of posts about testing but it is usually about testing the unmixed nic bottle you get from the company. In all of the guides to making your first batch, I’ve never seen anyone mention a concern for the nic level in their mixed juice. This may seem like a simple or dumb question but I’d rather know than guess. Thanks for any info. I’ll take all the help I can get.

2 Likes

I’m rather confident that the calculations done by the recipe software is correct. If testing nic is the concern I’d test the nic base…

2 Likes

Thanks. That sounds about like I was expecting it to be. My nic is coming from Nic River and they seem to have a good reputation here so I feel a little more confident about that aspect. Now if only I were that confident about my mixing abilities.

2 Likes

No question is dumb. Not asking a question, well that’s dumb :slight_smile:
Now Yes, Using a Nicotine Titration test is great way to test your Nicotine base. The goal of the titration test is to use a substance of known concentration to determine the concentration of the other substance in this case Nicotine.
We know once that the concentrate of the base is has been assessed that is the figure we will use. Whether it is 98,48,100, etc.,etc…
Once that has been determined, simple mathematics or a quick calculation will give you a accurate end product.
There is little to no need to retest. Unless you feel there may have been error in calculation.

4 Likes

Thanks. That makes perfect sense. Do you normally feel that the nicotine you get from known places like Nic River are as advertised or do you test all of your nicotine bottles?

1 Like

Great company IMO , but as others have stated it is a great idea to test your base when it arrives. One infamous company who I will not mention sent some out that was 186mg if I remember correctly.
Everyone makes mistakes and it is always better to err on the side of safety. Great question !

3 Likes

Any recommendations as to where to get the kits?

1 Like

I picked mine up here , another good company. IMO
Edit : They are even on sale at the moment!:grin:

http://www.ecigexpress.com/shop/diy-e-liquid/diy-e-liquid-flavors/signature-flavors/signature-menthol-mint/nicotine-testing-kit.html

1 Like

I just looked at that and was about to get it but I noticed that it said all of the items could be purchased at a pool supply store. (maybe they shouldn’t have added that one) Is this true or is there some small difference that makes it not usable for our purposes? I wish that Bull City Flavors had nicotine. I only live 4 miles from them. I can pick stuff up from them right after work. Talk about saving on shipping costs!

2 Likes
2 Likes

They can ,iirc there was a video on YouTube explaining how to make your own test.

I’ll look that up. Thanks for the info. I was wondering though if I had to have something when I start making juice or if I can go ahead with my initial testing and just get one as soon as I can?

1 Like

I would go ahead and start your mixing , and add a test kit to a later flavor order.I mixed for a few months until I picked one up. You will be fine , if after mixing your juice tastes really harsh or you develop a headache then I would stop until I got a kit. Honestly your body and brain will tell you if the nicotine is too high way before anything dangerous will happen.
You will be fine and if you run into any problems ask on the forum and somebody will help!

Sounds good. I’ll do that. Thanks for all the help. This site is definitely living up to what I was hoping for.

2 Likes

Good , have fun and if you run into any problems plenty of people here to get you headed in the right direction.

1 Like

Great question i lernt alot in australia we cant even buy juice with nic so every one mixes this will help heaps of people that arent into diy as well cheers

After seeing this thread I watched a bunch of Youtube videos of the process. It strikes me as a very questionable method since it relies on human visual perception of color. And none of the vids I saw showed any reference chart for the target yellow color.

My wife does lots of similar testing on her marine aquariums. Adding drops of chemical to a base until a certain color appears. But all of her test kits have a color chart. She holds the test tube against the chart and adds drops until it matches the chart.

Anybody know of a test kit with such a chart? Also, anybody know of a test by weight instead of volume?

1 Like

I use 100mg/ml nicotine base.
I would be so thankful if i found out my new base actually was 186mg/ml.

Most people today vape 1-3mg/ml.
I personally am around 3mg/ml. First batch i make with the 186mg/ml nicotine base i would instantly taste that the nicotine level was around 5,5mg/ml and not 3.
Now i just use less nicotine base because less is required. :ok_hand:
Nobody would ever hurt themselves more because it was 100mg + 86mg.

1 Like

Sorry I don’t know of any , here is a video of the one I use and it is very easy to see when the color change occurs. I have no problem trusting the results of the test for my needs .
https://youtu.be/mqt4-tY7G90

Awesome , hopefully it will!

I mean, if you spill the bottle in your lap you’re fucked regardless.

1 Like