Nitecore D4 or "New" I4 charger

I currently have a Nitecore D2 charger and am happy with it. But because of recently getting wireless security cameras that can use 4 rechargeable batteries (16340 size), I’m looking at getting a 4 bay charger, liking my prior experience with Nitecore, I’m looking at either the D4 or what is called the “New” I4 (the new part is mainly because of the display not just being lights as the prior I4 was).
Does anyone have pro’s or con’s over one or the other of these chargers? Or recommend another charger around the same price range…?

1 Like

Can’t speak for the i4, but I’ve had batteries charging in the D4 every day for the last couple years without any issues.

1 Like

I can’t speak on the i4 but I do run a couple of D4’s. No issues so far…knock on wood. I do prefer the screens over just lights.

1 Like

I have been using the I4 (not the I4new) for quite a while now and have been very happy with it. As long as you don’t find any bad reviews about the new display failing, I would think sticking with Nitecore would be a good bet…

hahaha…almost exact post

2 Likes

I prefer the LUC V4 over the Nitecore chargers. I’ve owned both I and D series and wound up having to replace them within 5 months of their purchase. They took forever to charge my batteries, got uncomfortably warm while doing so and would cause radio interference. I purchased the LUC V4 during the Black Friday sales of 2015 and it’s been a stellar charger. I like the fact that I can chose between 0.5 or 1 amp charging across all four bays, or I can charge at 2 amps on two. I don’t use the 2 amp charging a lot, but it’s nice if I need a cell or two charged quickly. The LUC stays much cooler than the Nitecore chargers ever did-All in all, a solid charger. You can usually find them for around $20-$25-Sure, it’s a little more than the Nitecore, but worth EVERY penny.

Personally a charger is every bit as important (safety wise) as the caution we try to exercise with the batteries. IMHO the best feature-rich charger for the least money is the Opus BTC-3100.

Of course one could go with all the bells and whistles of the 3400, but the 3100 is “my minimum standard”. YMMV

3 Likes

I’ve been using the opus BT-C3100. I don’t remember who recommended it but it’s an excellent piece of kit. It has a refresh function, you can check the mah of your batteries, quick test to check the internal impedance. You can charge between 200mah and 1 amp across the bays. It stays really cool during charging too. I’m really pleased with it.

4 Likes

Another vote for the opus. You should be able to find one for under $40 (i think gear best has them for around $30) which is a little more than the nitecore options, but well worth it for the features. I’ll admit I’m not well versed on the nitecore features, but the opus can:
CHARGE: Charge battery with 200 to 1000 (2000) mA.
DISCHARGE: Discharge battery with 200 to 1000 mA.
DISCHARGE REFRESH: Discharge and charge the battery 3 times.
CHARGE TEST: Charge, discharge and charge the battery, show how much current was discharged.
QUICK TEST: Measure the internal resistance of the battery.
It also has a fan to prevent overheating. Great charger!

3 Likes

How noisey is the fan on yours? Mine is apittle noisey. & @VapeyMama

Not overly bothersome. Noticeable, but it’s not bad.

1 Like

It’s basically what I would expect from a small fan. I don’t find it noisy at all.

2 Likes

It’s not like you’re tolerating an Xbox 360 or a PS3…
Lol
(2nds VM & Doc)

2 Likes

I appreciate the suggestions along this thread… I did finally go with the D4 (Nitecore), guess it was mainly because I have had great results with the D2 version of the charger… again thanks for the input though.

1 Like