No longer allowing duplicate recipes

If you try saving a recipe that is a copy of another recipe, your version will be set to private.

In the future, I will run through all public recipes and set all the duplicates to private.

If you see or experience a problem feel free to email me at lars at e-liquid-recipes.com :slight_smile:

46 Likes

Nice, been awaiting that change for quite a while and it will hopefully help reducing a lot of mess. Way too many release adapted recipes without any meaningful changes. Keep up the good work mate!

11 Likes

Will this affect the following situation?

Iā€™ve been adapting my own recipes, without changes, in order to place them on the recipe database timeline on the date I release them. Otherwise, a recipe created on October 31st, but released on November 27th will be many pages buried instead of showing the proper release date.

I have seen other mixers doing this, too. We add a little note at the end of the notes stating why we adapted it.

5 Likes

There may be a problem for people who added duplicate recipes as favourites. It would be nice to get them a way to keep their favourites.

Is there a plan for this?

3 Likes

The ā€œoriginalā€ is private in this case, yes? In that case it will still work :slight_smile: The note should also no longer appear :slight_smile:

Well, now there is :laughing:

9 Likes

Itā€™s been suggested (multiple times, and long ago) that if you find a recipe you like, adapt it!!

This solves not only the problem you mentioned, but also the fact that many times a recipe can go ā€œmissingā€. Either by someone rage quitting, by deciding theyā€™ve further refined it and deleting the original (that you had bookmarked), going ā€˜professionalā€™ :roll_eyes: (eg: think HiC or Wayne), or whatever other unknown reason.

11 Likes

Yes. Thanks!

4 Likes

By the way: This will soon change, so you wonā€™t have to do that. It will count the first time you set the recipe as public. Iā€™ll announce when that is in place :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Awesome!

Will this change the date when I view the recipe? I remember an issue about a year ago where the creation date was lost, and my older recipes were promenading around acting like they were just created in my personal recipe database timeline.

It was frustrating because I had to go to page 2 to see the recipe Iā€™d made the previous night and the recipes on page 1 were 6 months old and crappy!

4 Likes

Nah, it will function more or less like it does now, except it will record when you first set it public and keep that as the ā€œpublicā€ creation dateā€¦

6 Likes

Woo hoo!!
giphy

Bye bye 332+ versions of Mothers Unicorn Milk!

18 Likes

Then there is not much of a point to favourites. But this is only tangentially relevant so letā€™s leave it at that for now.

4 Likes

Thank you bby Jesus, finally we wonā€™t have to scroll through pages of the same recipe.

Wish we could do that for notes too, I donā€™t need to read 6000000000 times what HiC wrote. I understand it if I read it once :wink: but bby steps!

Thanks daath for this upcoming feature that makes cleaning up much easier :slight_smile:

10 Likes

If i see something that I may like, i will favorite till a later time when i have the time which more then likely will need to be adapted to base ratio and nic level and perhaps subbed for flavors i have.

4 Likes

Couldnā€™t have said it better!

6 Likes

Love this, a couple times Iā€™ve accidentally made one Iā€™ve adapted public and not noticed or adapted one of mine and forgot to check if itā€™s public. Now if you could just cure my incompetence. :rofl:

8 Likes

Great, I think it will help a lot to sort the recipe base, there are many meaningless duplicates!

5 Likes

This is great news less cutter the better. Keep up the good work @Death

6 Likes

Thereā€™s definitely a point to favorites.
But itā€™s not a guarantee of preservation.

Sooner or later, you will find that something you remember ā€œfavoritingā€ has gone missing, and itā€™s no fault of the system.
Thatā€™s why I mentioned it. And why I gave two examples of instances when Iā€™ve lost recipes (as they were removed by the USERS)ā€¦

8 Likes

Daath or death? Lol. Death to the dupes. All hail daath. Lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes