Norseman’s Review on the Athena Squonk Box from Geek Vape

I received this Athena Squonk Box free of charge from Sourcemore for the purpose of this review. Regardless of this, it will not color my opinion on this review in any way, shape or form.

Packaging
It comes in a black rectangular box with a picture of the Athena mod on the front. On the backside you will find the scratch and sniff together with some info on Geek Vape.

When you open it up, or should I say when you finally manages to open it up you will find the mod sitting on top together with a spare silicon bottle and underneath it the manual resides.

I really wish that Geek Vape had put a couple of cutouts on the box to make it a lot easier for the customers to open it up. As it is right now you need to use a bit of force or a tool or something to open it up.

The Device
So the Athena squonk box arrived and looking at it after taking it out of the box I found it to be a nice looking mod. It is made out of aluminum and the whole box weighs almost nothing empty. Just the material used kind of tells me that it will be durable and last for a long time.

The machining on this box is just beautiful and everything seems to be flawless. The door panel on the back got two fairly big magnets on it that holds it in place. The door panel on the front got three bigger magnets that holds on to the battery and one smaller magnet that has its opposite inside the box.

The front panel does rattle a little and could have a tiny better fit and maybe even stronger magnets. It isn’t so lose that it is disturbing but it does move around a little bit.

The pattern engraved on the door panels is something that will divide the users into two layers, one that like how it looks and the other that doesn’t. For me personally it doesn’t matter at all and it doesn’t make my vaping experience with the Athena any different.

It is delivered with two squonk bottles, one is a harder plastic and the other is a silicon one. During the time I have used the mod both bottles have worked just fine for me.

Both the 510 connection and the contact plate are silver plated for the best conductivity possible and all I can say is that it got good conductivity for sure. It hits really good and I haven’t had any errors like misfiring.

The 510 connection is spring loaded and it works like a charm. I haven’t had any issues with any of the RDA’s I have tested to put on it and they all sat nice and flush. The 510 connection does also have an engraving on top and it is some kind of pattern and as a decoration I kinda like it. A nice thing is that it allows you to use 25 mm RDA’s if that is your choice of poison since they do sit nice and flush without any overhang.

It is a small device and if it wasn’t for the sharp edges on this mod it would have been pretty comfortable to hold. As it is now it is a bit on the sharp side to be honest and I would have liked it a lot more if all the edges had been rounded out in order to be more smooth.

The button itself seems to be made out of some sort of plastic or delrin and doesn’t lead any currency what so ever. The throw is short and I must say that I like the feel of it. One more thing needed to be said while I talk about the button is that it got a locking function to prevent it from fire while in a pocket, bag or something.
Does it work you might ask… All I can say to that is – Yes it does.

One clever thing on this box compared to other I have looked at is the hole Geek Vape put in the box on the battery side of things, allowing you to push the battery out. This makes it really easy to change battery and makes the need of a battery strap useless and I must say that it works like a charm.

While using the Athena I have not encountered any issues at all and it has worked flawlessly the whole time. Changing the squonk bottle is easy as pie and takes no time at all. Changing the battery as I stated earlier is also made so easy that it barely take any time at all.

I have really enjoyed the time I have spent with it and I know that I will keep on using it after this review has been posted. I think it might become a nice little workhorse of mine that I will enjoy for a long time.

Assessment
A really nice squonk box that is really well made. Only things to complain about is the somewhat sharp edges on it and the slight rattle on the front door panel but other than that I got nothing else to complain about.

Can I recommend it to others?
I sure can and if you are in the market for a well built mechanical squonk box this might be what you are after. High quality and a fair price makes this one attractive.

Pros
High quality
Comes with one extra silicon bottle
Hits good
Silver plated contact parts
The hole to use for pushing out the battery
Lock function of the button
Size
Spring loaded 510

Cons
Rattling door panel
Sharp edges

Parameters
Width: 25 mm
Height: 73 mm
Length: 46 mm
Black, Blue, Silver, Gun Metal

Package includes
1 x Athena squonk box
1 x Extra squonk bottle
1 x Manual

You will find it here
Athena Squonk Box for $31 at the time I wrote the review.

And before ending this review I want to point out a few things of importance to those new to mech mods and also the seasoned user. Remember to always pay attention to…
Battery safety
Ohms law
Keeping your mech mod clean at all times. Meaning the connections, button and internally.

Thanks for reading this far and Vape on!
Norseman

11 Likes

Thank you! Great review as always.

2 Likes

Thanks man :+1:

1 Like

nice one man. could not agree more on the sharp edges that makes it a bit uncomfortable to hold.
never the less a well built device worth the money.

2 Likes

Thanks bro :+1:

1 Like

Nice review bro. I’m digging your photography!

3 Likes

Right on man, another good one.

2 Likes

Thanks bro :+1: I do my best to try and do good photos for the reviews.

1 Like

Thanks man :+1:

1 Like

Great review, and thanks for the honest pro’s and con’s .

1 Like

Thanks man, you’re most welcome.

1 Like

Man i dont know about that hole for the battery seems like you could damage the wrapping or somthing with your keys in the same pocket

2 Likes

No worries there is a door panel covering that hole until that moment when you need to change your battery.

1 Like

Yer 3rd pic in lol i like the texture look on them to cheers well done

2 Likes

I just got one today from eightvape who had a sale, mod for 9.99, thks again @AlanS. I am really enjoying using it even w/o squonking as i am waiting on a rda pin. The lock on mine indeed does work even when pushing hard which i have heard some peps still had her fire if u pushed hard. The doors do slide when u rub up and down, solution: dont do that! :rofl: The hole on the backside makes batt removal cake and install is just as easy. She hits great on her own but i love to tinker and had her apart within 8hrs. The contact bar is flat but 510 is round so arching does occur. Solution:Bend the flat contact so it meets the round 510 connection evenly, hits a lot nicer.

2 Likes