Norseman's Review on the Ironsmith v1.1 Mech Mod from Ironsmith Group

I received this Ironsmith Mechanical Mod free of charge directly from Ironsmith Group for the purpose of this review. Regardless of this, it will not color my opinion on this review in any way, shape or form.

Packaging
It comes in an orange package with a drawing of the mod on the front together with the name of it. On one of the sides you will find info on what material the mod is made out of, and in this case it says brass.

On the backside you find specifications, what’s in the box, manufacturer, a guide on how to use it and info about Ironsmith’s social media.

When you open the box up you will find the mod residing in a cut out, wrapped in orange rice paper to protect it, I imagine. You will also find a warning card on safe battery use and what I assume is a manual of sorts.

The Tube
The one I received is a brass tube and it does come in other materials such as copper, stainless steel, a limited edition and an aluminium, or aluminum, depending on what part of the English speaking world you come from.

It is a curved design and at its widest point it is 26 mm, at the narrowest point it is 21.5 mm, and on the top it measures 24 mm.

It is a nice looking mechanical mod and when I opened it up for the first time I must say that I found it really good looking. The machining on this one is really good; the finish on the outer tube is flawless and they have buffed it up to a really nice shine.

The weight and feel to it is substantial. The form factor makes it really pleasant to hold and it lies real nice in the hand as well.

In case of a battery venting this tube has ventilation holes both on top and through the switch, all in all 6 holes. And the way they look they should be able to do the job intended and let any gasses out of the tube in case of an emergency.

The switch is made out of five parts and it is spring loaded. The switch housing is made out of copper and the button out of brass. It does also have a delrin ring where the battery reside, in order to avoid any contact before the button is pushed. The contact pin is silver plated for what I think is better conductivity. The spring is on the soft side and it could benefit from a stronger spring.

It does sit recessed in the tube and it won’t auto fire when put down on a table. However, it doesn’t have a locking function of the button, and since the spring is a bit on the soft side it could auto fire if you are unlucky while it’s in a pocket.

The switch is what’s used for adjusting battery rattle, and what you do is you put the battery into the tube and then screw the switch in until it sits snug and thats it; the battery rattle is handled. It is also serialized with an engraving on the side of the switch housing.

The travel on the button is a bit on the far side, but it does work well and I haven’t had any misfiring happening while using it. Nor have I experienced any hot button. But what I have experienced is arcing and arc marks on the contact pin, and lots of them. It is even so much arcing going on that the silver plating on the contact pin is getting damaged.

All the threads on this tube is just smooth,and changing battery is no problem at all since the threads won’t be giving you any trouble. A useful hint though whenever you change battery is to loosen the RDA somewhat to make it easier to get the switch out. The same thing when you screw the switch back in; leave the RDA a little lose and as soon as the switch feels in place, you tighten the RDA again and everything sits real snug.

Assessment
It is a well made, well machined mechanical tube mod that holds a high quality for the most part. It does hit well and it doesn’t get any hot button. Only real gripe I have with it is the arcing and if it hadn’t had that it would have been awesome. As it is now it is a good tube mod with a flaw.

Can I recommend it to others?
If you are in the market for a well made mechanical tube mod that is fairly priced, I can’t see why not. The quality on it alone makes it attractive.

Pros
Machining
Hard hitting
Silver plated contact pin
Smooth threads
6 ventilation holes

Cons
Arcing issues
A bit soft spring

Parameters
Width: 24 mm at the top, 26 mm at the widest point, 21.5 mm at the narrowest point
Length: 88 mm
Brass, Copper, Aluminum, Stainless Steel, Limited Edition

Package includes
1 x Ironsmith v1.1 mechanical mod
1 x Manual
1 x Battery warning card

You will find it here
At Ironsmith Group for $109.90 at the time I wrote the review.

And before ending this review I want to point out a few things of importance to those new to mech mods and also the seasoned user. Remember to always pay attention to…
Battery safety
Ohms law
Having a hybrid connection you must make sure to have a protruding enough 510 pin on the atomizer
Keeping your mech mod clean at all times. Meaning the connections, switch, threading and internally

Thanks for reading this far and Vape on!
Norseman

11 Likes

@Norseman Although I’m not typically a mech’r I enjoyed this review very much. Nicely done, laid out, and presented.

2 Likes

Thanks man, glad you liked it :+1:

1 Like

just the looks on it, beautiful design.
thanks for a nice review bro :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks and you’re most welcome :facepunch:

1 Like

Excellent review, is this an 18650 only tube?

3 Likes

Thanks man. Yes it is for 18650 only.

1 Like

I’m not much into mechanical mods either but I always enjoy reading the reviews, thanks. I’m always amazed at the price of these simple mechanical tubes, compared to some very good mods with chip boards and color displays on them. I do have to admit it looks very nicely designed and well machined.
And the packaging… OMG! They can probably pack 5 or 6 mods in there. These companies should really think about the environment a little more.

2 Likes

Thanks for commenting. I’m sure this will outlast any regulated device by many years since it doesn’t have any board or color display or any other electronic.

1 Like

Good Review @Norseman, I have a few Mech mods, some 25$ and some 200$ ones, But the mechs I own where made 2-3 years ago. I see the the top has 3 vent holes, looks like leaking or even sweating RDA would leak into holes. I see the contact pin where it has been arcing out , That should have been plated in white gold for 100$ and like you said the spring issue, for pennies they could have put a spring with more tension and of better quality. It would have been nice for them to put a sleeve inside the tube for better safety reasons. The outside of tube is polished very well, looks great, Hand fit and finish.

2 Likes

Pretty good review, but why no pictures with an rda on top. Concerned that it the cut outs on top will take away from the astetics with having three random holes showing. Beyond that, looks great.

5 Likes

Thank you Sir! Great Sunday morning read. The arching is a show stopper for me. Doesn’t take long to destroy a mod.

6 Likes

Another nice review and am sure was much easier to review then a pod, at least it was for me to read.

3 Likes

Thanks man. I’m sure the vent holes on top could let juices into the tube if you over drip. In the time i have been using it i haven’t had that issue since i have been using it with an familiar RDA i know how to drip in without over dripping.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comment :+1:
And since you asked so nicely i will post a pic here.

3 Likes

@SmilingOgre @worm1 Thanks for commenting guys. The pod review was a different one for sure :wink:

1 Like

We’re all pretty sure you know what you’re doing :smiley:
But I can see the point @Mix_and_Hope is making. If you have a bottom-breather that leaves some condensation when you purge, you don’t even need to over-drip. Definitely a con for this mod.

It really is a nice looking mod but IMO they dropped the ball a couple times too often.

3 Likes

Oh i do see his point as well. At the same time a tube with the vent holes on the side of the tube can allow liquids to get into the tube as well. The risk on this one is greater of course since the holes are on top.

Thanks for the comment :+1:

2 Likes

Don’t shoot me if I’m wrong, but I thought recent evolution was to put the vent holes at the bottom of the tubes. Wouldn’t you want that to happen as far away from your face as possible?

3 Likes

Not every manufacturer put their vent holes at the bottom as far as i know.
And i’m not even sure that there is a standard on where to put vent holes on a tube mod, but maybe there should be one…
In case of a battery venting i know for sure that i want that mod as far away from me as possible :wink:

4 Likes