OK, what's the REAL DEAL with Stainless Steel Wire?

Interesting. i don’t know at what temp each of these wires/metals will glow red. when i simulate this exercise on Steam Engine for ID 2.5mm, 8 wraps, and 15 watts, the heat capacity (mJ/K) for these coils are (added the links for you to double-check)
K1: ~36.7
SS316: 44.7

SS produces more heat for same coil resistance (corrected, thanks to Gambit). that’s also my own experience …

3 Likes

Heat capacity is a different thing altogether though. The ss will definitely produce more heat overall. But resistance in an electrical circuit is manifested as heat. So that’s how the higher resistance wire will come to temp faster. But it definitely won’t produce as much heat

3 Likes

I’ve read this paragraph several times and maybe I’m just dumb as a brick here, but I don’t really know what you mean. When you say “higher resistance wire” what exactly are you talking about? Lower gauge, different material or something else? I was assuming you meant different material, as in kanthal being a higher resistance material than ss for like the same gauge. If that’s the case, well I’ll take your word for it as far as coming to temp faster. Surely though, most of us could only use a stop watch and our eyes for the point where it visibly starts to glow in order to see the difference. Unless you have some sort of infrared equipment to read temperatures in the hundreds or thousands of degrees, I think it would be impossible to say which gets hotter - all things being equal with power, etc. So the part about not being able to produce as much heat - well theoretically (or factually, I dunno) that may be true. But what are we talking about here? Seems to me it would be temperatures none of us would vape anyway. As for wire gauge, I think that matters far more regardless of your material. I’m not going to like 28g in anything, and it will burn through before it produces the vape I like :wink:

I’ll offer my opinion though about the REAL DEAL with stainless. My initial experience with this material was anything but pleasant. But I was using what I later found out was crap wire on a crap mod (xCube) which had nothing remotely touching proper temp control for stainless. So I let it ride a while and stuck with the titanium. Then my DNA purchases tempted me to try again. And I fell in love with it. My observations are purely academic, but I found I preferred SS over Ti wire because of it’s versatility, easy of cleaning, no off taste and how I didn’t have to try and remember what material I had built in atty A, B, C or D. I went 100% to Stainless and so it works regardless of my mod.

So for me, the question is not so much why should someone use Stainless, but rather…why not?

7 Likes

It was a difference in materials…kanthal vs stainless steel. It was mentioned that the ramp up time on the stainless would be the quickest, but that isn’t in fact the case. I’m not trying to get into anything other than the fact that 2 coils made exactly the same, except 1 being kanthal, the other stainless steel. The coil w/the most resistance (kanthal) will heat up/cool faster.

8 Likes

Ahh, roger that. I wish I could test that for myself, but sadly the only Kanthal I have left is 22ga and I don’t have any SS that big. But…my cloudy atmosphere doesn’t seem to notice the difference :laughing:

7 Likes

Hmmmm. I wonder for all the people wondering if you have checked out this thread.

6 Likes

Well I tried to adjust the pin and still jumping around… might need to try the coil again and fix that leg to be right under the post screw… after I’m done cooking dinner I might try that

3 Likes

I didn’t think I was being uncongenial, nor was I being arguementative. I was simply questioning why one person seems to have sound knowledge on the topic and the other is spewing randomness.

I am trying my hardest to remain congenial.

It is comments like these that force uncongeniality. When someone new sees that what is to stop them them from thinking nickel or titanium is just a friggin wire? Technical details do matter. Do you see where I am going with this?

8 Likes

just a quick question, is the resistance going up when you fire it then come back down when it cools? sorry you may have told us but i didn’t see it if you did.

4 Likes

That’s exactly what is happening

3 Likes

well you are probably just reading the actual resistance then. you see as wire temperature changes so does resistance, that’s what makes tep control work, is that a new mod to you? from what i understand on some mods that don’t have temp control they just read the actual resistance and don’t lock in the base resistance to calculate from, it may also be something in the settings you can change so you don’t see the fluctuations but the mod will.

7 Likes

It not a new mod it’s an IPV8… temp control worked well the couple times I have used it but I’m lazy and usually vape in power mode to get that good hit… iv had it for a while so it’s not new to me either

2 Likes

Did you lock the resistance by pressing up and down buttons at same time? The yihi chip requires this in TC I believe, but it will maybe help out in power mode as well.

4 Likes

Not with this build I did not… still think I should retry the build and I will lock it this time before I try it in power

3 Likes

I’m sure there is a science to this and I’m sure it all makes sense, but in truth, I personally can taste kanthal. It isn’t a bad taste per se, but there is a slightly metallic aftertaste to it IMO. With the SS wire, regardless of TC or wattage mode, the taste is much cleaner. No metallic aftertaste. There are a lot of people who don’t see a difference in wattage mode between the two regarding flavor but I can. I rebuild my ex’ Reaper coils using SS wire and she always comments on the cleaner taste of the rebuilt coils, so I guess she can taste the difference as well in wattage mode.

9 Likes

Oh my, something went south. Ya’ll continue this one without me. This just weird’s me out.

3 Likes

One thing I want to say which I’m sure most of us are aware of, but here it is. Make sure your battery matches your wire and build especially with a mech. Sometimes we get caught up with hype of new stuff. a vtc5a is only rated at 25amps so if I was using these I’d probably opt for kanthal! When using ss use a battery rated between 20-30 amps! Vtc4 says 30amp but it’s really more like a 20 amp that can be pushed to 30 according to mooch! Point is make sure your battery pairs well with build!

6 Likes

So… I rebuilt my tank with another SS coil… Still ohm jumping… from .39 at the start and every time I push the button to heat it goes up and up until around .6 that’s a big difference when you are vaping in power mode… what am I doing wrong?

P.S sorry @SessionDrummer for hijacking your thread :wink:

3 Likes

Ok maybe I jumped the gun… dry firing this resulted in big fluctuations in ohms… as the coil glowed the ohms increased. After I wicked it and started vaping on it… only moved by .01 of the original setting… and let me say this… using a simple contact coil I’m getting the best flavor iv ever had from a single simple coil build… wow talk about clean flavor!!! I’m only tasting my juice and it’s awesome!

6 Likes

@SthrnMixer, FWIW @Gambit117 was right … and i was wrong - i think i managed to confuse myself and explained it wrong - many variables here… so please, all, forgive me.

the same coil ID, wraps with same gauge in K1 would have higher resistance (say 1ohm) and will heat up faster… in the old days, we used coils like these at 14-17 watts range… then came SS, if it’s the same build, it will have lower resistance, and hence will heat slower… and you can/need to up the wattage to 22-25 to get similar experience (in terms of heat) – the confusing part, is when instead of sticking to same-size coil then do the comparison, you build a same-resistance coil. where with SS you need more wire in the coil, and end up with hotter vape
(trying my best to avoid getting into technicalities again :))

thanks @Gambit117 for correcting me. again, all, please forgive me.
this part out of the way, i think we summed up the answer to why some people move to SS, cleaner vape, ability to run in power and TC modes, less health concerns, As easy as (almost) kanthal to work with … and you guys are wonderful :slight_smile:

7 Likes