One-Shots being added to the database?

I’ll preface this by saying I searched the forums here for an answer but came up with nothing. If there is a topic addressing this I totally missed it.

So, I ran across a user who has recipes posted on the other side. He has started turning them into One-Shots via the blue wrench option, giving them a name and then putting them in his flavor stash. Once in the stash the new “flavor”,by default, then gets recorded in the ELR database.

Keeping in mind that the flavor DB is whacked all to hell, even though efforts are underway to make it mo’ bettah, is this something the people involved in those cleanup efforts should just ignore? Because as more and more users discover this little trick the database is going to be worse off than it already is!

6 Likes

yes but it’s not a flavor

2 Likes

:thinking: they using what we would call a stone in other mixes then? that make bit more sense

5 Likes

I just want to say thanks to all that are working on the db. I can say that I have seen great improvements.

As for one shots. Well that is tough cookie. There in a sense one shots already in their. One could argue LB is a one shot and flavor.

For some newer mixer…there will be more of a trend of new folks finding elr and the calculator and want to input their favorite one shoot and mix up their preferre vg/pg/nic ratio. Those mixers will be the next future core group that moves from store bought ejuice to mixing…just now alittle hump in the middle. Heck…we saw that push with the tpd changes.

That being said…I would vote for manufacture one shots being approved for the dB and custom one shots not. But I wouldn’t want to restrict the functionality of elr either.

6 Likes

I think there should be room for this trend to grow. If I make a stone from a recipe, like a Crust stone, my own creation, I’d want to enter it in a recipe and throw creams and fruit at it. I think that’s already common practice.

Similarly, if I have a complete recipe and make it a one shot, I’d still like to enter it in a recipe and try adding other things to it.

I believe that’s the difference between one shots and stones. One is a part of a recipe and one is completely layered and finished. But it’s cool to take a Pineapple Cake One Shot and add some Blueberry or Apple. We should be free to do that and somehow keep the DB clean.

The issue seems to be how to differentiate between those two and those two vs. commercial concentrates.

4 Likes

So what we are looking at basically is continuing to allow users to put ‘new flavors’, in the form of a one-shot, into the DB where they will mingle with the standard flavor concentrate names. Does anyone else besides me see another huge problem brewing here?

So my newly created one-shot I shall name Strawberry Fart Blossom Ice Cream, is now an entry in the Flavor List for all to see. Because I put it into my Stash! Now, multiply these unique flavor names that people will use (including those with horrendous spelling skills) by 500 or more (for example) and initiate a flavor search. I’m guessing the search results returned will be epically cringeworthy!

3 Likes

If the user labels as a one shot/stone what’s the problem? We aren’t drones, we don’t want to conform to someone else’s mixing style. I’ve finally got a blend of various oranges to my liking and will put it in my stash. I use this blend as a flavor. It’s flavor total is 8%, I use it in a mix 3-5%. Not technically a one shot or a stone by definition. What would you have me call it? I need it listed in my stash so…

4 Likes

You have to look at it like a stone which is what they are using it for so if stones are allowed they would have to be too. I agree that both have to be weeded thru in the Db in order to find things tho but they are useful for those who use them. Id suggest marking them in same manner that you plan to do w/ stones to look over if you dont know what they are.

4 Likes

It has nothing to do with conforming to mixing styles or being a drone. How do you even get that from what I said? My concern is simply more garbage accumulating in the DB, the effects on the search engines and new users unknowingly choosing wrong names for their recipes. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Separate databases could theoretically solve this.

2 Likes

think he/she just lashed out since they use stones but they meant that they dont want to be regulated by what they put in the DB

1 Like

or hiding stones from the public, somehow, idk,wher’s that deadhorse gif?

1 Like

That’s part of the problem There needs to be SOME regulation of what is put in. And that’s not a new concept. Countless people have said the same thing.
I’m just more verbal about it!:sunglasses:

2 Likes

This is something I’ve wrestled with (on a personal level, not as a dupe fixer) off and on on occasion.

The bottom line I arrived at was “it is what it is”.

Point of validity:
You have bases and stones, which everyone sees as being perfectly acceptable (rightfully so). And those are effectively “One Shots”.

So if you take (for example) Pro_Vapes’ chocolate base (which is entered as a single flavor for use in a mix), then others should be able to do the same. Primarily since (as crazy as it may sound to some) there is always the chance of someone going “ya know, I wonder how PV’s chocolate base would work with DIYorDie’s Macaroon One Shot?”

Regardless, I get where you’re coming from. And while I think that as a whole, the majority would yield a muddled mess… There’s always the chance that someone may find a combination that they really love.

What I think is a bigger issue to consider, is to make sure that folks aren’t entering finished e-liquids into the database!

As long as a “One Shot” or Blend (looking at you FA UK) exists, then it’s got to be considered a valid flavor IMO.

Anyone who finds/makes their own custom base/stone/etc is going to use it as the valid ‘convenience entry’ (from a database standpoint) that it was intended to be).

3 Likes

Thank you!
That means alot bud. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Be a good place to post the acceptable syntax for a stone here

1 Like

Yeah this is something I’ve been thinking about suggesting to @daath as well. :wink:

I think if a color code could be implemented to differentiate between manufacturer flavors (let’s say green), to user “created flavors” (stones, etc in red), to retail One Shots (in yellow), etc…
I think it would benefit both users, and database maintenance alike!

1 Like

I just thought u had something in mind at least already "strawberry (stone) i.e

2 Likes

I kind of already addressed this (including format) in the database naming update thread (under my ‘requests’ area of the update IIRC) :wink:

Though yeah, it is kind of buried.

Edit: here ya go! :wink:

3 Likes

I vote for ignoring.
One shots to me, are a grey area. It could be argued that one shots are the same as a single flavor concentrate that is generally less concentrated than most flavors. Perhaps someone or organization has drawn a line to differentiate between a one shot and a concentrated flavor.
re: https://the-eye.eu/public/Books/campdivision.com/PDF/Sciences/Chemistry/Fenarolis%20Handbook%20of%20Flavor%20Ingredients_%206th%20Ed_%20George%20A%20Burdock_%202009.pdf

1 Like