Other Hobbies?

I think you need another base.

3 Likes

Iā€™d like that, but Iā€™m outta likes again !!!

4 Likes

Iā€™m just about set-up to stabilize wood. Just need the chemicals which Iā€™m nearly ready to pull the trigger on. If you want, I could turn your carvings into something impregnated with clear resin. It would be pretty much impervious to the elements and be shiny like it was wet if polished. Just a though. Pm me if ya want to experiment with one. Check out Cactus juice and wood stabilizing on u-tube to see what Iā€™m babbling about if you want.

6 Likes

Play guitar and also photography and go for rides on my Harley

6 Likes

I think you mean Work on my Harley.

2 Likes

For over 10 tears I worked for the 2nd largest distibutor of tropical fish in North America. I was in charge of picking out the marine specimens. The coolest thing was the national aquarium in Baltimore had me choose a fish at my discretion to be the center piece of a Carabean tank the were building.

9 Likes

Other hobbies? Does sleep count???

I like cooking, watching movies, gardening (even though Iā€™m not very good at it), hiking, and just being with the hubbyšŸ˜. I also enjoy the things that go BANG, but thatā€™s another threadā€¦

6 Likes

Do you keep fish yourself, or was working with them enough to put you off? Choosing the centre piece fish is quite an honour, what did you pick?

4 Likes

I had aquariums for 25 years when I got the job. We all kept tanks, huge elaborate got it all for wholesale setups. I donā€™t have any set up right now but I have 2 bay window style acylic tanks, a 60 gallon and a 125 gallon. My 125 was filled with live rock and coral from Hawaii. It was taken out of the reef by a store owner in 1947 (youā€™d get 10 years in prison for that now) and had been in a huge display tank in his store in Hilo all those years. He passed away and his uninterested son inherited the store. They owed us a lot of money so he sent us everything in the tank to us and our boss let us have our pick. About a month after I got it I heard a load thump come from the tank it was in. I looked over and the biggest piece of live rock, about 18" around and 24" tall, had broken in the middle and was leaning on the back of the tank. When I went to look at it I discovered that the whole thing was actuelly agiant clam!
The fish I sent was a Queen Angel, Holacanthus ciliaris. It was 12" but in full adult markings. It wasnā€™t breathing when we opened the box so I just rocked it back and forth forcing water over itā€™s gills. After a minute it came to. It twitched really hard and a spike on itā€™s gill went into the tip of my thumb. Someone showed me a picture of it 20 years later. He got huge.

7 Likes

I play magic the gathering and read comics books. Iā€™ve taken an interest in studying Time Management and have recently de-activated my facebook account due to wasting too much time there. I do miss the conversations there but, eh, more important things in life.

13 Likes

Im going to bump this thread because this painting inspired be to try something that i wouldnt have. Ive never had any artistic talent, i think it was mostly a lack of patience. But for some reason, when i saw this i starting seeing things just a bit different.

Well a couple months later i starting coloring. I did some research, bought some nice starter pencils and some books. Some how i no longer totally suck at forming pictures in my head and putting them down the way i see it up there.

This probably belongs in the Has someone inspired you thread but it has become a fun new hobby for me. Thank you @Jazzy_girl. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

This is beautiful!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s such a great story that @Jazzy_girlā€™s painting led you to your new hobby! You already know how much I love coloring! Itā€™s calming, a form of pain management in a way, and I like the Creative part without the pressure of needing an idea of what to create, that part is done. Plus, you can do something very simple or something very detailed with shadow and highlights! You should post your latest WIP!

4 Likes

Hows the bush craft going mate?
My hobbies are mainly gardening i love being out side with my dog and chooks tending to my vegie patch i get little fuzzies when i eat something that is at least 70% from my back yard or food my wife and i foraged from the bush. Probably why iam loving all the diy involved with vaping.

5 Likes

Wow this is really awesome! Iā€™m so glad my painting was able to do this for you :). Thank you for being so open and trying something new and Iā€™m really honored to have been able to inspire you!!! This makes me feel like getting my brushes back out! @Jenny1978 is right painting and coloring is very calming and a form of pain management.
Iā€™ve actually started to think about painting what the pain looks like, and putting onto a canvas. Thanks @Ken_O_Where and @Jenny1978 u guys are awesome!!

4 Likes

Iā€™m glad this thread was bumped.

Due to my limited range of motion in my back, I can no longer play golf. And having given away my last guitar a couple years ago, thatā€™s another lifelong hobby off the books. So for whatever reason, last year I decided I wanted to start making sourdough bread. Now all you folks who have been making sourdough, please contain your laughter. Especially you @ozo. Iā€™ve seen those gorgeous loaves you make!

If youā€™ve never made traditional sourdough or done any baking for that matter, this is a most interesting hobby. First you have to get cultured. Sourdough doesnā€™t use bakerā€™s yeast. Rather, you create the yeast culture using flour and water, and keeping this at room temperature. I wonā€™t go into all the details of sourdough starterā€¦you can find that easy enough. But then once youā€™re ready to make your first loaf, you suddenly enter a world of icky sticky. That dough you handle with your bare handsā€¦well it reminds me of the farm where I lived as a child, and getting all that Alabama red clay stuck to my shoes. Then thereā€™s all the heavy, dense and hideous loaves I made before I got the hang of it. Now things are much improved, but I still need to perfect it.

Next I want to try something else like maybe English Muffins, or Ciabatta. Baking to me is very therapeutic.

8 Likes

This reminds me of something my mother used to say in her kinder, gentler moments when I was a little Ogre. She would say. ā€œletā€™s bury the hatchetā€. She would pause. She would then say ā€œin your headā€. Makes me feel all warm inside, how about you?

5 Likes

Hello, my name is Julie and I am interested in cooking and photography. And I like football and sometimes go to the gym. I also like to take pictures of food, such as cakes, pizza, italian food and so on. By the way my photos are here http://fixthephoto.com/blog, I hope you will enjoy! XOXO :blush:

9 Likes

This is an interesting topic. I guess Iā€™ll add my hobbies.

Apart from mixing juice & building coils, like @cooper1 I also keep fish tanks. I have 2 at the moment, but no pics to post right now.

I noticed that no one here mentioned my most recent & favorite hobby which is 3D printing. Seems to go hand in hand with vaping.

I just designed & printed a couple for display stands for my RTAā€™s

7 Likes

Well, since i kicked over the ant hills i have been able to do any coloring. Tonight im going to try, hehe. IN still in the same place:

https://i.imgur.com/hY8tPZc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PsoXEGY.jpg
These are the second and third images i colored using techniques i learned from the book they come in:
https://i.imgur.com/7RTBjcc.jpg

Ive got a long ways to go before i try to paint something but oddly enough it is one of my goals. I say oddly because never in the 46 years that i have been alive to i recall wanting to paint anything, until Jazzys picture.

9 Likes