Over Flavoring

Simply put, this is a common issue that we see quite often. Contrary to some mixers beliefs, over flavoring will quickly ruin most mixes.

Common side effects of over flavoring are…

1. Over flavoring can cause muting of that flavor itself. Every flavor has a high usage limit or flavor ceiling and once you exceed that limit the flavor can turns against itself and actually get weaker instead of stronger.

1. Over flavoring tend to cause one flavor to dominate, mute or mask other flavors in a mix.

1. Over flavoring can result in harshness and/or an unbearable throat hit that can render your mix to be un-vapable.

1. Over flavoring can be costly, because some flavors are expensive and using too much is just a waste and leads to an increase of the overall price of a mix

1. Over flavoring can mutate that flavor into a flavor that it was not intended to be.

Tips to avoid over flavoring…

1. Ask questions if you’re not sure how to use your flavors.

1. Single flavor testing (aka SFT) and keeping good notes of your test results is one of the best methods of learning your flavors.

1. Seeing how other mixers use flavors in mixes can help you gauge percentages and how flavors are used.

1. When in doubt about usage percentages, just start low and work your way up if needed. It’s a lot easier to add more flavor than it is to dilute a mix.

1. RESEARCH… Utilizing the flavors database on ELR can help you find info for nearly every flavor used for DIY. Learning to use this self help tool below can be very beneficial when researching flavors…

Feel free to amend or comment with added tips or corrections.

22 Likes

High flavor percentage was used in the past because the atomizers and batteries that was available back then was not as advanced as the ones we have now. Back when silica was still used as wicking material.

with recent developments in vaping technology, we dont need high percentages in flavor anymore.

12 Likes

Agreed but not completely. One of my favorite mixes is 24% flavor. On the other hand most mixes I come up with are under 10% flavor. It all depends on the mix :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I agree with all the above for 99%. I’ve used flavors that tastes like burned rubber because of too high usage and that’s not a very nice experience.

There are some flavors that are the exception though. The INW Heisenberg clone comes to mind, where a weird and ridiculous overflavoring seems to work wonders. Recently I also tried a recipe with strawberry jam with toast (SC) (RF) and it works quite well at 8 to 10% flavor.
SFT is key here. Start at very low % and work your way up to see what the usable range of the flavor is for your equipment.

7 Likes

its like same on my case,i get low taste. all progress well done such as recipes, mixing strirer, stepping etc… still on developt to get thats flavour taste. about recipes i trying low until high percentage following ELR direction. but still low taste… anyone know where is my fault about this case ?

2 Likes

Try and give a bit more detail if you want people to troubleshoot, give some background too.
How long since you’ve stopped smoking. Do you have the same with commercial juice or only with DIY? What tank/coils do you use? Which recipes? Which flavors? How long and how did you steep given recipes? …

DIY doesn’t mean you have to suffer bad or light flavor. I’ve vaped DIY juices that have way more flavor than commercial juice and the other way around.

7 Likes

Over flavoring, Muting???

Looking at this, rather high… a lot of your recipes are 25-28%

your use of sweetener too is a bit too high… try .5% to 1%

3 Likes

Oh wow good catch! I neglected to look at his recipes. Looks like a hell of a lot of flavor indeed.

I’m seeing recipes with Dulce De Leche (TPA) at 7%. I recently revisisted that one and at 2% I thought it was almost too strong for my taste. He definitely has to turn it down a notch, whatever equipment he vapes on.

4 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined.

3 Likes

i’ve stop smoking after using MODS in DTL (*MTL rarely) may about 1years ago, and 2mouth laters im using PODS in MTL. im using comercial and also DIY. AIO pods 0.3Ohm - 1.2Ohm and PODS in 1.2Ohm. recipes and flavours its in many recipes & Flavour get thats especialy TFA\TPA juicy… thats so hard to get flavo notice. Step its about 3days until 2 week Fruity, 3week above creamy. Thanks for motivated @anon28032772 :smiley:

1 Like

its mean Muting a.k.a tiny flavour notice . thats part of developt recipes, How much better tottal flavour then. yeaaa i will try thats sweetener for next this recipe. Thankyou @anon84779643

1 Like

how if thats apply in AIO PODS and AIO. its will be the same notice ?

1 Like

Thankyou @Brotherbob, hope will be usefull for vapers and DIY in around the world to fix simmilar case. LOL… Thankyou :smiley:

2 Likes

One of the things you will learn with time and experience is that you sometimes need to mix for the device you intend to vape on.

Think of a recipe as trying to get the combination of flavors to “play well” with each other first, and once you have that piece of the puzzle in place, only then should you consider testing it on another atty/device.

Things frequently change from one setup to another. (Sometimes only in total percentage of the recipe needed, sometimes the recipe itself needs to be rebalanced because the atty shines a spotlight on one flavor or hides another.)

There is no “one size fits all” IMO.

Hope this helps, and welcome to ELR!

4 Likes

You really need to start low on your solo flavors. Your starting points will look much lighter… and the taste will be better, not just your sweetener… Good luck ianvape. :slight_smile:

4 Likes