Over steeping?

Hi all…wondering if theres such a thing as over steeping a recipe?
I did a mango strawberry and after two weeks its terrible… is it over steeped??
Thanks

2 Likes

can you link the actual recipe?

I had something similar happen in a mango strawberry mix of mine. strawberry became too strong after two weeks

3 Likes

Steeping can bring the flavour out more so it is possible that there is a touch too much of something or a touch too little of something else and the steep has accented the problem.

Over steeping is not really an issue at 2 weeks if you left it for a year it can be over steeped but that is not really an over steep it is just ‘I forgot it was in the cupboard and now it has gone off’

9 Likes

Thx guys… just realized i forgot that i added somethjng to it yesterday.
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Probably over flavoured :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Wish I had that problem. My palate for tasting strawberry is riding the short bus.

1 Like

I have a long-term vaping friend (like 7 years now I think) who steeps his juice for two, minimum. Years, that is. He says it takes that long for everything to come together. Works for him, so who am I to question it. :+1:

5 Likes

That there is a patient friend. Real dedication to maximum flavor.

5 Likes

DAMN!!! I have had mixes that made it to 18 months… only because I forgot about 'em… I’m fairly certain by then it will be a 0 nic mix.

5 Likes

Yup… i just realized that i forgot that i added a different flavor to it the other day…thats why it was terrible… but im happy i learned something anyway:)

7 Likes

He adds the nic after the Sleeping Beauty routine is complete.

7 Likes

that makes his steeping process more successful. still that’s a long time to wait for vape juice

5 Likes

I make a popular clone of the O.B by Suicide Bunny that only really gets to my liking after about five or six months,I have a few others that I have tried after an even longer steep and they have been great. This method only works well for me with heavy creams,cakes,coffee and custard juices though and I don’t add nicotine until it’s ready.

4 Likes

I have experienced some issues similar to this. In my experience there are certain ingredients, whether they be flavorings or enhancers, which seem to mute or fade over time. Sometimes that’s a good thing, sometimes not so much. I’ve found that most modern flavors will bloom with steeping, in-particular most tobacco flavors, so as others have said it’s possible that you may need to decrease the percentages used. I personally allow most recipes I mix to steep for a week before I make any decisions on alterations, and at least 3 weeks with most tobaccos and creams. I have not experienced flavors that change their flavor profile significantly when used in SFT, but certainly when mixed with other flavors. Some flavors I used to mix would have what I considered to be a short lifespan, in which case I would usually mix up only as much as I could consume within a couple of weeks. Flavor being entirely subjective, and assuming you like the individual flavors that make up the recipe, you might consider cutting down the percentages on a new batch and steeping it for a week before testing.

Good luck to you, and let us know how it turns out.

Flicker

5 Likes

For me, I experiment with my recipes and their individual steep time. I have a few that fade away after a month or two. But most of them stay strong for 6 months(that’s the longest I have been able to make one last before it is all gone)
I have adjusted flavors and more of them work out now.
Awesome thread! Thanks!

6 Likes

You are keeping mixing notes, right?

2 Likes