Pairrings for custards

The equivalent in vaping terms is diacetyl :drooling_face:

1 Like

@Ken_O_Where
I see custard, i think of this man :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tried any oak aging? I went the cheap route and used the cubes they make for wine, @LordVapor bought a small oak barrel to age his. The cubes worked out very well and they are cheap enough to try different types of oak. The last batch i “oak aged” was with a medium toasted oak cube, it was pretty damn good. I would probably go light toast next time.

It is something different that very few people do.

https://www.deepsouthbarrels.com/create/Oak-Barrels?c=234153

4 Likes

I’ve been playing with the the easy version of this lately aka oakwood(FA) and toasted marshmallow(TPA) mixed with custard recipes

2 Likes

Can’t imagine it’s bad. I think you can even pair custard with cucumber and basil if you want to :smiley:
(esp if you take the peppery TPA version)

Sorry, but where I come from, suet is either bird or pig feed.

Not it!

2 Likes

I’ve had the honor of experiencing one of @anon13011326’s creations firsthand (and I mean that most sincerely, it was an honor!) and I was TREMENDOUSLY impressed!!

If anyone is interested in this type of thing, he’s definitely the first person I’d suggest talking with for insight into the process!

While it was a bit “runnier” than I’d expected for being 80vg (though I had no negative issues in the atty, nor with my PG sensitivity) the flavor he was working on was EXCELLENT, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. (I’ve been spreading it out to make it last…)

2 Likes

Ive used oakwood in the past too, its pretty spot on. The thing about using real wood is each different type imparts different but subtle flavors. Sure we can do this with flavorings but it is kind of interesting to see. Different level of char can increase or decrease certain flavors too. I would probably stick with light charing in the future, while medium was very nice it is also too much to vape all the time.

Wine making sites are a great place to start for information on the flavors different types of oak impart on beverages.

3 Likes

Sponge and raspberry jam :yum:

I wonder if you could use Jack Daniels wood chips or chunks that I use for smoking meats? If so, it might add great flavor for a cocktail and/or tobacco juice. Maybe a custard too.

3 Likes

Im not sure about that but i cut a limb from our White Oak, cut it into small blocks and then dried it in the oven. That worked out quite well.

People use old whiskey barrels for curing liquids in, if that helps at all.

4 Likes

I am sure it would work fine and transfer some of the wood essence to your mix, although a lot of the barrel steeping involves priming the barrel with a alcohol flavor you want. I filled the barrel with dark rum let it sit to infuse into the barrel wood then emptied and added my mix to set and steep for at least 2 weeks. then re bottled the mix into dark glass and let it steep months. Custard mix would be absolutely wonderful I would bet.

5 Likes

I find this technique very interesting. Maybe you could put together a little “how to” and post it.

1 Like

It is a pretty straight forward process. Nothing more complicated than buying a barrel, follow the manufactures suggested sealing process (very simple, fill with distilled water let it sit and rotate now and then until seeping stops, then empty) and then adding your mixture (minus nicotine I would suggest) let it sit for at least 2 weeks then re-bottle and steep for whatever you feel is necessary (recipe dependent)

Here is a thread discussing the process

5 Likes

How small are the barrels you guys are talking about? I mean you’re not mixing up a 30gal
batch of e-juice for this are you?

http://www.barrelsonline.com/showproduct.aspx?ID=43

mine is like this 1 Ltr

2 Likes

Might try:

I’m going too.

3 Likes

I will search if I can get the cubes I EU :slight_smile:

1 Like

bourbon and/or coconut w/ ry4 is one of my recent favorites:

Bourbon Tuscan Reserve v3 220ml
5.27% RY4 Double (TFA)