PLEASE send your broken mod to me!

I was going to send them to area 51 but they wont give me the address. Not even a PO box…what a bummer :smiley:

5 Likes

it’s authentic, I’ve already sent it into craving vapor 2 times prior to this. It’s a Hexohm Vaporshark edition

1 Like

PM’s updated. =)

1 Like

You have my curiosity up. What exactly do you do with all the old parts?

2 Likes

Store them until needed?

As I said in the first post:

It’s all a labor of love, and curiosity primarily.
The same thing that made me pull apart my first stereo when I was 12 or 13, still holds true today!
At it’s simplest: “what’s that do? How does this work? Where’s that wire go?” Legos pretty much started it all… Then came the stereos, then car engines (rebuilt my 73 LeMans ground up. 400 big block, turbo tranny w/shift kit, etc…), etc.

It’s just how I am! Lol

7 Likes

Testify brother!!!:facepunch::facepunch::facepunch:

1 Like

Nice. 10 chars.

1 Like

To elaborate a bit more in depth (and because I felt like a bit of an ass for quoting myself, though I didn’t mean anything by it)… Some of my prime curiosities are:

• are they using wire of an appropriate gauge for the application?
  • some mods are not firmware upgradable… Is this an honest limitation (due to chip selection) or are there still normal eeproms in there that could be flashed multiple times, and the manufacturer just wants to force obsolescence to maintain the money train? (Think “Creative” and the whole Sound Blaster live/Audigy/etc nonsense, where the hardware is very capable of being used from one OS to the next, as long as the slot [ISA, PCI, PCIe] is viable, but they artificially crippled the product by manipulating the drivers and ID codes :rage: )
  • who uses decent (unseen) parts, and who doesn’t. (but it will take some time and dealing with many teardowns within the same brand to form an opinion)
  • on average, are “non liquid-related” failures due to component failure or user error, or design flaw? (Did solder not take because a via* was too small? Was it an 8 layer pcb that was mounted in such a way that additional stress was added to the board, and caused premature failure? These are but a few of the questions that run amuck in a tech’s head…)
  • more that I’ve forgotten as I’m taking too long to get this typed out on the phone >.<

Anyways, I didn’t quite get what you were “not getting” so it kind of hit me funny. Hopefully, between my two replies it makes a bit more sense to you. :wink: Nothing crazy (or stupid) in mind here, and I don’t have the facilities or inclinations to play “mad scientist” with combining random surface mount ic’s onto a homebrew pcb or other grandiose idea(s). But! Given how many truly creative talents, and ideas, you can come across by deconstructing a product, sometimes they can be applied to another existing idea that was still waiting to come to realization!

There’s so many reasons really. :slight_smile:
But those are some of my top ones, as they come to mind…at this moment in time and (head)space! Rofl

*A “via” is the technical term for the little holes in multilayer pcb’s that don’t have a wire (or anything else) going into the hole. Their sole purpose is to allow the circuit to continue from one layer of a pcb to another. :wink:

7 Likes

You had me a “multilayer pcb” lol

3 Likes

You have a PM hon (and a repaired mod awaiting)!

Thank you ma’am for the faith, and opportunity to have a peek inside and gain additional knowledge!
It’s very much appreciated!!
Rob

6 Likes

Still waiting to hear back on your PM sir!

1 Like

Sending mine on Tues.! Sorry I have taken so long.

2 Likes

No need to apologize at all ma’am! It’s completely as your able to, and as cheap as possible IMO. Whenever it shows up, is just fine with me! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve got a couple for ya!

1 Like

perk :smile:
Well thank you ma’am!

1 Like

Not a problem, sir! :wink:

1 Like

Pretty jazzed that you fixed ol blue man! Good work! @Sprkslfly

1 Like

Was mine dead? I bet she was dead. :disappointed: She was special to me. I hope you were gentle with her inner lady parts. Poor Istick.

5 Likes

Yours has the potential for being brought back from the grave… Unfortunately, I’ll have to wait for another identical donor for that to happen (unless I can work a “minor miracle”).

Apologies for the delay in updating you on your donation though. I’ve been spending the majority of my time on the nonsense that is the Smok Alien.

I’ve got all but 1 or 2 pics that I need for the upcoming assessment/Op-Ed piece that I’ll share here, but have been debating on whether or not to just write the base “article” and then do a followup (probably the best idea) or continue delaying until I’ve got everything 100% like I want it (what I tend to do, and have been doing thus far, only another question always pops up… So yeah. Better just go with the first one). /facepalm

2 Likes

Ah, I knew she was a long shot, but maybe one day she will get her glory back. Why not take your time on it? I mean, it’s up to you obviously, but I know when I rush written pieces, I miss something, something that has to be added or perfected later.

2 Likes