Poll - Resistance Wire... What's Your Preference?

I don’t touch Ti or Ni wire, was kanthal only until recently, and got some 25g 317L wire. Loving it. 11 wraps, 2.5mm, or 9 wraps 3mm gives me 0.3 ohm duals, I don’t like to go any lower than that.

3 Likes

bumping up

2 Likes

I ordered some SS for the first time yesterday. It’s only been kanthal for me since I started. Recieved a bunch of kanthal from my friend who paid it forward. Now I’m looking forward to trying the SS. I don’t do TC so no need for Ti or Ni.

3 Likes

I have some 22g Ti, kanthal even gauges from 24-30, and nichrome80 30g.
I haven’t had much luck with the Ti myself, just not a big fan of such low ohm and tc honestly… I prefer to stay between 0.3-0.6ohm so the 24g kanthal has been my main choice lately, tho more recently i have done a couple build with 3x twisted 30g nichrome80 with pretty satisfying results.
Ran out of prebuilt ss316 0.5ohm cubis coils for my AIO, so i decided to rebuild them and using 24g kanthal with 7 wraps works great in them. I dont have an rba for it, but the prebuilts are simple enough to redo so i havent bothered getting an rba yet… Once the rubber insulator gives out on them i will probably order a couple though.

2 Likes

Just found this website a few days ago, gotta say I love it over reddit… I have been using SS316 exclusively for the past 5 months and now I gotta go order some 22g. How much are you spacing the coils?

5 Likes
4 Likes

Eventually I will have to try this… Got 22g ss on the way now. Ill let you know how it is!

2 Likes

Sorry @Dan_ltz. I thought you were referring 22g Ti. I’m sure this will work with SS also. I actually space my coils according to the deck size. IME (in my experience) spacing doesn’t really matter as long as your wraps aren’t touching. It’s the number of wraps and coil ID that actually get you the ohmage you want. I’ll probably revisit SS since Evolv has updated the SS profile.

4 Likes

As do I, im To0nMaN over there but spend most of my time here and in chat.

I just placed an order for some more 316L, my wire of choice, and decided to check Temco again. 250ft 24g and 100ft 22g was 18 bucks delivered.

EDIT: BTW, welcome to ELR!

7 Likes

Ditto that, and all I use is 26g SS316L.

2 Likes

Finally got around to trying it, I like the 22g but I cannot get the build to work right in temp control mode. I am using a cuboid and the limitless rdta plus. I might have to try Ti soon. I know it works better is temp control… Flavor wise I cannot really tell a difference between it and claptons.

2 Likes

I don’t think contact coils is a problem at all with SS. In fact if it is then it’s completely escaping me as I’m using it on the SMOK TF-RTA G4. I figure if it was a problem then a quad coil would certainly show it quick fast and in a hurry. I’m getting a glorious vape in TC off this build and TC function from the new DNA200 firmware is amazing. Build is 4x 26ga 316L with 8 wraps and 2.5mm ID. I wind the coils on a jig and then dry burn/crimp before wicking. And just so you know it’s not a fluke, I have 3 of these identical set ups and all vape the same. FWIW.

1 Like

I didn’t mean to imply there was a problem with SS contact coils. The distance between coils isn’t majorly important in a spaced coil. I think that’s all that was meant, at least that was the sentiment I meant to echo. A 5 wrap stretched out to 4 mm from leg to leg isn’t terribly different than a 5 wrap stretched out to 5 mm. I wouldn’t worry about having those on either side of a dual coil dripper for example. But I would expect issues if I had a spaced 5 wrap on one side and a contact 5 wrap on the other. Consistency is a bit more important with contact coils, isn’t that why you crimp them?

Decided to retry Ti wire again. I was cleaning it with alcohol prep pads and not really liking it. I tried cleaning it this time with steel wool (actually a brillo pad) then a really good rinse, followed by the prep pad and…wow! Uuuuuge difference in taste. Took about a 1/2 tank and the flavor just came shining thru. I used 24g dual spaced 0.15ohm in the Apache tank on a Cuboid,and 22g single spaced in the Bachelor tank on the Hohmwrecker G2. Both are outstanding.

1 Like

I need to trt Ti again, I put duel 22 in my tsunami, but I didn’t really get on with tc mode and I didn’t like the look of the ‘flat’ grey Ti, I’ll try your method of cleaning it and have another crack :+1: thanks for the tip

I would suspect you are right. Never tried space on one side and contact on the other. But I think unless you’re jokingly different in spacing there would be no difference if your two spaced coils were slightly off from on another. As for crimping, I still do it out of habit I guess. But when I wind coils on a jig they’re usually pretty tight. I always wind one extra wrap so that the end of the wire that went through the little jig hole can be pulled off so I have a straight leg. And if you do that (don’t ask me why, i’s a mystery) you can usually fire and strum rather than pinch the coil. It just works is all I know. When all are firing the same, evenly, and from the center of the coil outward, bingo you’ve got it. If you haven’t tried strumming please do so. Just don’t even attempt on Ni or Ti because it’s only good if you get the coil to glow, which you want to avoid with those wires. I doubt I just told you anything you don’t know so that’s for everyone who doesn’t know :slight_smile:

Amazing isn’t it? Yes when you have clean Ti it’s the absolute sweetest hitting vape in all of TCdom. For nearly all of my tanks i use the 22ga Ti spaced build that @pro_vapes introduced us to. Been sticking with the SS in the TF-RTA G4 though because first, I can’t get 22ga to fit and haven’t been very wow’ed by 26ga, and second the configuration of that deck is such you can’t get much cleaning done. With the SS I can just dry burn the crud off the coils. Still want to try a quad 26ga Ti build though just to see. It may be worth rebuilding every few days. I’m glad to hear you discovered the joys of Ti though. It’s so good, and so consistent.

1 Like

Actually, I think the credit goes to @SthrnMixer for the steel wool idea. I believe it was his post that I read instructing this. It makes a world of difference.

Yeah buddy! The Apache deck and juice wells are massive so you can build big. So is the Bachelor. I’ve got 3.8mm ID coils in them and that TI is kickin’ butt. I think you were the one to post about the steel wool cleaning, and it’s well worth taking the time to do so.

Yeah, that was me. I kept noticing residue left behind when using alcohol only. Then went to the plasticish (new word :slight_smile: ) scouring pads which did much better. But the steel wool is awesome. So glad you’re enjoying Ti. I can’t imagine anyone not liking a Ti TC vape if it’s set up right.

1 Like

im new to this sub ohm thing …i have a rainbow spinner ego …and im thinking about upgradeing to a nono tarot which would be my first sub ohm … was wondering if its a good starter…it seems pretty easy for a newbie like me…