Pugsley's A touch belated review of the Smok G-Priv 220w Touch Screen Box Mod

It must be 5…maybe 6 months since I first saw a picture of this mod somewhere, an instant pole position at the top of my wanted list just based on the looks alone, I was using my H-priv daily at that point until it’s untimely death after a few short months, but even that did not deter me…I wanted this device, I wanted it real bad. Then came the Vaper Expo in mid October last year and I even went with an extra stash of the hard earned just to buy one, they were there on display…in glass cabinets…some were even out on the counter for you to play with…but no amount of

Was going to persuade a single vendor to let one go…pre-order only…and that was only if you were wholesale.

Greetings my fanatical fog fiends, I trust we are all well after the NYE festivities, I myself haven’t moved off my bed in 48 hrs due to the dreaded Man Flu…clearly terminal, Not that my better half believes that…“you have a vagina” I believe is the term she used…harsh all thing’s considered, but still, It has at least given me time to bond with my latest toy, A toy I never foresaw me ever getting my hands on, even since I have been reviewing I must of been promised it 3 or 4 times only to be told that stocks were depleted…then…without warning, one turned up on my doorstep courtesy of my none warning friend @June from Gearbest…it must indeed…be Christmas, at long last…I have my very own Smok G-Priv 220w Touch Screen Box Mod.

If the Smok Alien was the most talked about mass produced Mod of 2016 then this wasn’t far behind…if not level with it, and both from the same company, A company I voted as Vape Hardware Manufacturer of 2016 based on both Innovation and the staggering volume of different devices they brought out last year. Every Vaper who has anything slightly resembling a ‘collection’ will undoubtedly have 1 or more of their device’s in their arsenal, not always great, admittedly I myself have owned several that have gone quite…quite mad…or just died. But under the premise that they will more than likely learn from their mistakes the new batch of Smok devices at least appear to be better put together than it’s predecessors. So…out with the ‘H’ and in with the ‘G’…I have prattled on too much already, lets take a closer look at what’s on offer here and welcome this device like the gangsta I am…(What?)

Tut…can’t even spell my name right…anyhoo…The device, my first reaction was surprise on how small this thing is, I totally wasn’t expecting that, for a 220w mod this thing is tiny, very compact and heavy, I like that, makes it feel quality, it runs off two 18650’s too so when it’s loaded there really is some weight to it, It has the signature smok side trigger bar found on many of their mods these days and on this occasion it is clearly modelled after the H-Priv, I wont say Alien, as it feels completely different to that, actually I’d say the trigger bar isn’t quite as good on this as it is on the Alien, it feels a bit rattly in comparison, not as bad as the H-Priv did but not nearly as solid feeling as the Alien, but the trigger really isn’t this devices power play, that would be the screen, A 2.4" toughened glass touch screen, super responsive, super easy to read too due to it being a black background with a white font but unlike it’s competitors such as the Laisimo L3 and the Tesla touch you can’t upload your own pictures onto it, not an issue, I mean I did that with the Laisimo but I didn’t even bother with the Tesla, it’s a cute touch granted but in this instance you really wouldn’t want to, the interface is clear, and clever, and looks cool just the way it is…

Once you hit the fun button it shows you wattage, Amps, Volts and Ohms very clearly, However…they have gone one step further with a MASSIVE plus point on the G-Priv…If you read my review on the Tesla touch you will know my issue with not being able to turn the screen off, I even commented on how hard could it be to implement a ‘Stealth’ mode…well…they nailed it, a button…just a simple button above the trigger…press it once and the screen just simply…

THANK YOU SMOK!..seriously…how hard was that!..a button!!..although…ironically the G-Priv doesn’t exactly light up your face like a Xmas tree due to the predominantly black screen but still, all touch screens should have this…simple as.

Locking the screen is always an essential procedure with touchscreens, they all have it, and on this you can do it 2 ways, press the ‘screen off’ button once and it’s off, however keep your finger on it for 1 second and it simply just locks the screen but leaves it on which is what you will want in most cases, I mean what’s the point of a touch screen if you can’t see it right? the rest of the menu is simple to navigate, it literally took me 2 minutes to find my way around and work out where everything was.

Setting the wattage is a bit on the quick side for me if I am completely honest, it uses .1w increments up to 100w and then 1w after that…my argument would be, why .1?..who on earth needs .1? just keep it at 1w increments and at a speed that’s easy to get where you need to be, that’s all you need, small annoyance though.

It has your 4 pre-heat settings and on max the ramp up is straight on there, no messing, click…boom! love that, nothing worse than having to wait even if it is just for a second.

As for the overall look of the thing well…I love it, it’s kinda futuristic spacey lookin especially with that screen, and on the reverse of that you get a big panel of carbon fibre framed in a chrome bezel,

The battery door is the usual kind of back panel held on by 4 of the strongest magnets I have seen to date, I mean they REALLY didn’t want this door to come off, I just hope you have strong fingernails.

The only concern I might have is the paint…this is a Smok product after all, and they have a habit of painting their devices with water colours and felt tip pens, AND it doesn’t fill me with confidence when they give you a free silicone sleeve in the box but…time will tell, sooner or later they WILL have to address their paint problems though.

It’s also available in the following colours, kinda liking the gold one has to be said…

So here we are again when I am forced…FORCED I say, to give up a list of …erm…zzzzzzzzzz

Dual High-Amp 18650 Battery – Not Included
Dimensions: 85mm by 58.5mm by 28mm
Wattage Output Range: 1-220W
Min Atomizer Resistance: 0.06ohm in TC
Temperature Range: 200-600F
Supports Ni200 Nickel, Titanium, and Stainless Steel Heating Elements
Superior Zinc Alloy Construction
Super Big 2.4 Inch OLED Touch Screen – Shatter Resistance
Screen-Lock Button – Simplify Operation
Five Drawing Effects: Min, Max, Soft, Normal, Hard
Temperature Coefficient of Resistance (TCR) Adjustments
User-Friendly Interface
Stealth Firing Bar Mechanism
Magnetized Battery Cover – Carbon Fiber Inlay
Temperature Protection
Short Circuit Protection
Over Current Protection
Over/Under Voltage Protection
MicroUSB Port
510 Connection

WTF!..right!..where was I…oh yeah, my final thoughts on the G-Priv… MASSIVE overhaul on the H-Priv, If I was to compare this to my other 2 touchscreens I would say that this method of not having the ability to upload your own image onto the screen is dare I say…Better…? Just concentrating on what needs to be on the screen in a layout that is geared towards just that and nothing else makes the whole experience easier to deal with in my opinion, the stealth/lock button is a game changer in the touchscreen world I only wish it was on my other 2, and to be honest, I cannot see any issues with this device worth worrying about…like…at all, reliability?..meh…who knows, durability?..same again, it’s still new, it feels better made than the H-Priv that’s for sure so time will tell, the ‘being small’ thing I mentioned earlier actually…is more of an optical illusion if I’m honest, I just put all three of my touchscreens next to each other and although the G-Priv is shorter than the other 2 it is wider AND thicker, the Trigger bar makes it considerably wider but because it isn’t part of the screen the whole thing appears to be smaller…I’m so confused right now…

All in all, If I had to pick one of these to live with…I would totally have the G-Priv screen and stealth button in the Laisimo body with the Tesla paint job and fire button…can I have that??? AARGH!..MAKE IT FOR ME!!

I think the G-Priv sneaks it with the stealth button, but only just, any of these mods will do you proud but that…that one little button …should be on all of them .

As for the price well…bare in mind that the release price for this was around £110…not that long ago either, In fact I seem to remember it being more than that, I know I went to the Expo with £130 put aside purely to buy one, but now, well…would it surprise you to know that you can pick one of these amazing devices up for under £60? in a flash sale here…
G-Priv 220w Touch Screen Flash Sale
At that price I cannot recommend it enough, use Code PRIVCVD and you’ll get it ever so slightly less than the flash sale price.

So if you have some Xmas spends left over…you could do much worse.

We out!..PEEACE

Pugs

16 Likes

Another fantastic review. Glad you finally got one :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks Lisa!..yeah better late than never eh lol…awesome thing it is too.:ok_hand:

1 Like

I’m waiting to hear your thoughts on the Joytech Ocular 150w. Or 80w :wink:

Touchscreens seem to be the next “in” thing.

2 Likes

Yeah I have been trying but they wouldn’t release them just yet, couple of weeks maybe, I’ve got some good stuff coming up though :wink:

2 Likes

Yep another great review! The side by side comparisons are great and would really be helpful to anyone about to drop some $$ on a new mod. Rest up!

4 Likes

Thanks brother, appreciated as always :wink:🖒

2 Likes

I always look forward to reading your reviews. It’s like opening a late Christmas present. Great review as always.

I think the Tesla styling and fire button position makes it the best looking of the 3, but not being able to turn the screen off is a deal breaker.

2 Likes

lol, thanks man :wink: and yeah that’s the thing. it just edges it in front, all three are awesome mods tho I’ll recommend all three all day long

2 Likes

You’ve done it again you fab reviewer you!

I looked at these online when they were pre-order but wasn’t sure about the girth size (ooo-er). Can you ask your delightful better half to hold it and give a feminine opinion? (mind out of the gutter dear :wink:)

4 Likes

Well…asking her that will get me in all kinds of excellent situations …(I live in the gutter dear sorry…it’s where I met you I believe)…

I have small hands, chubby…but small, unless you’re Jeramy Beadles right arm you’ll be golden :wink: :+1:

4 Likes

And thank you btw :wink: much appreciated as always x

2 Likes

My girlfriend grabbed it, and said it definitely wasn’t too big

:disappointed:

5 Likes

Mine is still as pristine as it was when I first got it. That’s about 3 months ago now, and I’m using the G-Priv daily. :wink:

5 Likes

I see what you did there neff, and I like it!

Lol.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks boss :wink:

2 Likes

Same issue I had with the H-Priv, I just can’t get past the name… To me a priv is a porta-potty. Quite literally a box of sh*t :frowning:

Excellent review though, as always. I mean, I like your reviews anyway (even if I never said so before) and always enjoy them. But I actually read this whole thing whilst thinking of a blue plastic toilet, and I still enjoyed it. That’s a sign of a damned decent reviewer right there.

But I probably still won’t buy one.

3 Likes

Haha, thanks…i think…? Lmao
Its a valid point though
Not quite as bad as the ‘Wanko’ RTA …but bad enough lol

2 Likes

Great review friend. Always entertainment at its finest.

2 Likes

Thank you very much sir :wink:

1 Like