Pugsley's Gigeresque and other worldly review of the Smok Alien 220w Baby Beast Kit

It’s bloody terrible. I hits temp protection almost right away and is unbelievably unstable. Setting the TCR at 108 for SS gets it to fire may two out of five times. For someone that only uses TC I wouldn’t recommend an alien at all. My iStick 100 does it far better. It’s gets two :thumbsdown: of those of TC

1 Like

Thanks for info Dr!..have you tried a few different set ups or is this just with the one? it’s something people should def know about if it is indeed an issue

1 Like

Tried it in Ti on the serpent mini and had the same results, same with SS in the engine and goblin mini. You can adjust the ohms to around .1 higher than your actual build and it’ll work okay but I’m not comfortable doing that. It’s also running the newest firmware. Found this after I had tried it lol

1 Like

Same builds and tanks worked fine on the iStick

I Thought it was about 20-30°c too hot on the SS316l build I had in it. My build was a single coil ammit tank parallel 26 gauge around 5 wraps from memory. seems similar to the runaway experience of the op in your link. Maybe not too hot just not working now you have posted it.

I’ll have to try some other builds as I’ve not used the TC much I think, if at all perhaps. See if I can get it to struggle and replicate these issues with other builds. Interesting.

I tried dual 24 awg SS316L. The same 24awg single coil and also dual claptons 26/36 and 24/36, also SS316L. Ti was dual 24awg. All were 3.0id 6.5 wraps.

TCR values set as per steam engine. .00088 for ss316l and .00366 for Ti.

1 Like

Thanks Pugsy, I guess if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I vape Alien at about 80-85 watts with .2ohn TFV4 and at 55 for .2 aspire cletto which I absolutely hate. Lots of spitting.

1 Like

I don’t actually have any exp with a Cleito but spitting could be down to the coil and wicking rather than the tank itself…just a thought :+1:

2 Likes

TCR for ss 304 is .00105
TCR for ss 316 or 316L is .00092
TCR for ss 317 is .00088

These are the tcr values I use i dunno if it is me or steam engine is wrong (more likely me). But trying them wont hurt (much lol). So if you are on ss 316 coil it will make a difference if you are vaping at close to the ss304 tcr.

3 Likes

That’s the point I was making. It won’t fire at all when set at the correct TCR. I had to keep moving it up to find where it would actually work. I think it was DJLsv vapes that suggested 108 in his technical review of the alien.

1 Like

Hmm that is weird mine fires fine at 92 with ss316l fused clapton Maybe re install the update and it should set everything back to defaults (not 100% but updates usually do). If that doesnt work I would look at rma.

It is not 100 puffs old I actually clocked it today (well dunno if I clocked it it but it was up over 10k and it reset to 0)

4 Likes

Thanks mate, I’ll try that when I get home :thumbsup:

1 Like

I bought one when they first came out and the paint was horrible. I bought a “B” version about a month ago and with pretty much daily use the paint is holding up fine. A couple of dings on the bottom but otherwise its OK.

2 Likes

Try the 0.4 Ohm Cleito Coils. They are much better than the 0.2

1 Like

I will have to put my .4 back in, I used an ice flavour with it and hated the flavour, too mentholee so I tucked it back in box. Maybe this weekend I will brave that flavour again and run a bunch of my mixes through tank to wash off that coil. Or maybe hmm I should just go and buy a pack of .4’s. Everyone I talk to raved about the tank so I will giver a go.

1 Like

If you have any straight VG that works well to flush out an old flavor.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll try Vg, only mixed a few batches so far we don’t want to waste those. Thanks for reminding me I have a point 4. Lol

1 Like

How I felt waiting for mine to arrive. It came Sat. Love itttt!

5 Likes

HaHa glad to hear it dear :wink: …see…said ‘Dear’ and everythin…boom :wink:

4 Likes