Question about dilutants (and the Safety of PG, VG, PEG)

Talking about PEG makes me think that in 2010 I was involved with building the new museum over the Mary Rose in the Portsmouth dockyard.
The Mary Rose had been under wraps in a controlled environment for some 30 years, in a constant mist of PEG which they were using to preserve the wooden remains of the ship. Interesting.

3 Likes

What would you consider a serious mixer? Someone who puts their heart and soul into it, or in this case, someone that takes themselves a little too serious?

Here is something to think about. A majority of mixers got into DIY out of necessity. Cost. Some mixers got into it with aspirations of making money. But either way, or for whatever reason, mixing should be fun in my opinion. Do serious mixers have fun?

This response gave me a bit of a giggle for some reason. I do like the fact that @ringling did point out that PG is in fact antifreeze. It should be noted that it is not the deadly antifreeze that kills our pets. In 2012, 17 states passed laws about adding a bitter substance to prevent our pets from the sweet taste of antifreeze. This followed suit of other countries, like Canada, that started this in 2009 in BC. Later on companies started to make a kid friendly antifreeze. They called it, are you ready for this, propylene glycol antifreeze, or propylene glycol based antifreeze.

All of that is fact. I would link it, but if you are a serious mixer, then you will educate yourself. If you are a serious mixer, then you already have educated yourself and you know that PG is antifreeze.

Brother, you know I think of you as a friend, but this is aimed directly at one person and I don’t think that is right. Now that the other poster and Ringling and myself and countless websites have stated that PG is in fact antifreeze, please accept this as fact, and move on.

Oh? I love jokes! Do you have anymore? That one wasn’t even close to funny. As far as I can tell, this is your first attempt at humor on a SERIOUS mixing site. Frankly, I don’t get the joke.

11 Likes

I remember when I first started vaping my mixes (purchased) were 80/20 pg/vg… now days they are 80/20 vg/pg the world has turned upside down… lol kinda miss those ol’ ego cartos and ran across an old zmax mod I had used at one time.

EDIT: Does anyone even make 80/20 pg/vg anymore (store juice)?

3 Likes

I still see a lot of 50/50 but haven’t run across 80/20. Those old cartos could handle damn near anything you threw at them though.

3 Likes

@Ailith
Try Google searching "PEG400 Cannabis"
You’ll find plenty of hits for many of the PEGs as EJMix is primarily PEG-200 and 400 blended and is one of the more popular infusing materials for canna vaping.
I’ve got and use PEG200-400 myself as well as the standard PG-VG found in all vape juices along with 190 proof Cannabis tincture I use for infusing.

1 Like

Yeah I saw lots of that, but that’s a different thing I 1: Don’t have interest in 2: Is illegal in my state >.> bullshit as it is, breaking laws just aint worth it. I ain’t going back for pot man, not remotely worth it.

2 Likes

California here so totally legal now for everybody as of the first of the year.
I’ve tested the PEG 200-400 in place of the PG both infused and not with about the same results.
Both work equally well for thinning down the VG and I didn’t notice any reaction like minor lip blistering I have with a high PG blend (50-50) will raise tiny bumps-like blisters on my lips.

1 Like

One that know the difference between the lethal and the safe use of PG. This is more directed to those that believe the media hype about the deadly effects of PG in our mixes. Then come to forums like this and repeat that BS. PG is used for a ton of applications and it shouldn’t be related to just antifreeze.

This reply has nothing to do with you. If I feel a need to share a joke with you then I will tag or reply directly to you.

1 Like

But as mixers, and as vapers, here is the thing…we must own that. It is somehting that we can not avoid. We have heard and will hear for a long time to come that ejuice has antifreeze in it. Own it! Look them right in the eye and say “Yes it does”. And drinking antifreeze can be lethal in high doses. But we aren’t drinking it, we are vaping it. The cake these people eat has PG in it and they are ingesting it. Tell them that and smile.

And as long as we vape, people will associate vaping and antifreeze, because it doesn’t matter how many applications PG is used in, it is used in antifreeze. It is something you and I will have to deal with.

Say it with me, PG is antifreeze.

1 Like

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=1120&tid=240

1.1 What is propylene glycol?
Propylene glycol is a synthetic liquid substance that absorbs water. Propylene glycol is also used to make polyester compounds, and as a base for deicing solutions. Propylene glycol is used by the chemical, food, and pharmaceutical industries as an antifreeze when leakage might lead to contact with food. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene glycol as an additive that is “generally recognized as safe” for use in food. It is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or food products. It is a solvent for food colors and flavors, and in the paint and plastics industries. Propylene glycol is also used to create artificial smoke or fog used in fire-fighting training and in theatrical productions. Other names for propylene glycol are 1,2-dihydroxypropane, 1,2-propanediol, methyl glycol, and trimethyl glycol.

Propylene glycol is clear, colorless, slightly syrupy liquid at room temperature. It may exist in air in the vapor form, although propylene glycol must be heated or briskly shaken to produce a vapor. Propylene glycol is practically odorless and tasteless.

1 Like

Bob_Bitchen

12d



A little reading on PG and PEG and my 2 cents

PG = propylene-glycol when used as an antifreeze in Marine and RVs it’s colored PINK to show it’s FOOD safe and can be used in drinking water lines to protect against freezing. It’s also use in refrigeration systems where a leak could contaminate food supplies for the same reasons it’s FOOD SAFE.

PEG = polyethylene-glycol is the Toxic green stuff found in Automotive Antifreeze and even it is sold and used as a Vape Fluid under the guise of Cannabis infusing. ( See PEG 200&400 )

If you look you’ll see all my recipes have 1% or more of PGA (Pure Grain Alcohol) in my case it’s 151-190 proof EverClear
Works as both a fine carrier for additional adulterants like THC-CBD and helps enhance flavors in a high VG mix as @Maureeenie has noted.

Cross posed on Alcohols as diluents.
I knew it’d been covered.

3 Likes

And it stops stuff from freezing.

7 Likes

So does gasoline and alcohol and dozens more substances.

PG isn’t used as a antifreeze in mixes, so I don’t feel a need to classify it as such when used in vaping. If I use it as a de-icer or such then I’ll say antifreeze.

1 Like

Gasoline isn’t used in mixes. If it were, would you not refer to it as gasoline? What would you refer it to?

2 Likes
2 Likes

We’re going nowhere very fast here. I use PG and I’m guessing you use antifreeze in your mixes. I respect how you define this flavor carrier. Maybe you can get @daath to change PG to antifreeze in the Calculator so it will be understood by the masses.

2 Likes

No, I use PG also. I call it PG. When someone says “don’t you know that stuff has the same stuff as anti freeze in it?” I just own it and say “yeah, I know.”

6 Likes

Soo – yeah. Shouldn’t have brought this up. I think 3 of 37 posts are relevant?

4 Likes

Propylene glycol is not Ethylene glycol, the principal component currently used in automotive antifreeze.

Glycerol, IE: Vegetable Glycerin, was once widely used for automotive antifreeze.
Glycerol was historically used as an antifreeze for automotive applications before being replaced by Ethylene glycol, which has a lower freezing point.

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:…:rofl:

12 Likes