Question about making e-liquid

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I had a question about using Dasani flavor enhancing drops to make nicotine free e-liquid. I am new to making my own Liquid so help would be great!
Thank you so much!

1 Like

I have never tried them but you want to be sure they are safe for inhalation. There are links on the resource page to vendors that sell flavouring that is safe and made for vaping. You can find it by clicking on resources on your recipe page. There is lots of other useful info there as well.
http://e-liquid-recipes.com/resources

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum. This is one of the best sites I have found for info and help with DIY e liquid. Great people on here that are always willing to help out.

2 Likes

Some of the members here put together a DIY Beginners thread with a lot of useful info. I recommend looking over this info to help you get started. The members here are very helpful, so don’t hesitate to ask questions

6 Likes

I personally would not use Dasani, MiO, etc. because they contain colors and preservatives that just increase the safety risk and amount of things you’re inhaling. That being said, I’m sure people do it. It’s something you’ll have to decide for yourself if you’re okay with it or not. If you don’t mind the fact that you’re inhaling artificial colors and preservatives, then I guess go ahead. Just know it’s not ideal.

4 Likes

Thank you for replying! when I looked at the ingredients it says that they don’t add color and it is unsweetened, the only ingredients that lists on the label are water, natural flavors, citric acid, potassium benzoate, and potassium sorbate. Im not really sure if these items are ok though. :smile:

1 Like

Water, flavors, and citric acid are all commonly put into e-liquid. The potassium benzoate and sorbate I’m not sure about. They’re common enough food preservatives, but, as with pretty much everything vape related, who knows what the safety/risk is when it comes to inhaling it. I live on liquid water enhancers and have thought about using them before, but now that I have a flavor stash built up I don’t really have a need to. Don’t take what I say as gospel, but I doubt using it will kill you immediately. :wink: If you’re in a pinch, don’t have other flavors, and making an e-liquid with them will keep you from smoking cigarettes until you can get flavors, I’d say you’re okay. I feel about e-liquids the way I do about food…the less ingredients the better, but I’m not gonna stop eating something just because it has a few things in it that might not be the greatest thing I can put in my body. Harm reduction and all things in moderation and all that good stuff.

4 Likes

Potassium sorbate is a preservative. In my humble opinion a very nasty one. Years ago I owned a bakery and one of my accounts gave me a recipe to manufacture that used potassium sorbate. It needed to be disowned in water before being added to the mix. Simple enough right? So I grabbed an empty tin egg can, (eggs are often mixed and canned, then frozen) and proceeded to disolve my potassium sorbate granulars with water in the can. Within seconds smoke started pouring out of the can. The chemical reaction burnt holes through the can. When all else fails read directions. I didnt. We don’t have metal cans in our bodies of course.

3 Likes

Doesn’t sound like one should be vaporizing and inhaling that substance.

1 Like

I’m thinking that perhaps (and I say perhaps half heartedly), used as a food preservative potassium sorbate may not be harmful. Try to omit it from your diet and it may be a full time job. However, vaping it? It made the air caustic for 3 feet around that can. I would avoid vaping any flavor containing potassium sorbate. I just went through 80 bottles of flavors, from 7 different companies, and not one of them contain potassium sorbate. It is used widely in food and baked goods but not in diy flavors. I do not think that this is a coincidence. I have no evidence nor do I have a chemical degree. I just watched it heat metal past it’s melting point. I choked on the gas it eminated. That was everything I needed to know. Please, for your safety, don’t chance it in your lungs.

3 Likes