Questions regarding stainless steel wire

Well, there ya go…;:wink:

1 Like

I’m prone to rust…

I just got my Smok Cube X 2 and I couldn’t be more pleased. TC for stainless steel works as advertised. I just did a dry burn test at 400, 450 and 500 degrees F, no burned cotton at all. Not even any discoloration. Stainless steel contact coils work perfectly. My cube came with firmware revision 1.092. I used the new firmware tool (beta) and installed 1.093, it worked flawlessly. Upgradiation…( really ? ) to TI and SS was a thirty second affair and worked as well.

2 Likes

I’m glad yours is fine some others have gone through hell…

As promised I did a build with contacting SS coils today. I’m very surprised that it works so well. I wouldn’t have dreamed with all the hot spots and damn near sparking I got before with contacting coils it would work so well, but before I had not compressed them. Obviously that makes all the difference. Thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

I know, I’ve read all the horror stories and watched enough YouTube videos to scare the living bejesus outta me :slight_smile: I was pretty nervous.

1 Like

MEE TOO! :smiley:

1 Like

Ok, I’m ready to take these two bundles of SS wire and chuck em out the g*&%@$# window! :angry: I’m so sick of pissing around with this stuff.

This is not the first time this has happened. It’s EVERY time. Just when I think I have cracked the SS TC code. It will work for a bit and then erratic mod behavior. This has happened on

The xCube
eVic VTC Mini
eVic VT 60w
DNA 200

The behavior has been 1 of 2 problems. It will work ok for a little bit then TC starts malfunctioning. Sometimes (only on spaced coils to date) it will throw far more power to the coils than it should. Setting to 200 deg shows no change in this. Other time (both spaced and now contact coils today) it will simply fail to fire consistently. And when it does it will often cut out during a puff - far sooner than it should, like within a second or two of hitting the fire button.

I firmly believe I’ve got some bad SS, I mean I know I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but come on! If I can build Titanium and Nickel builds that work flawlessly in temp control, what makes stainless any different?

That’s it. I’m going to drink adult beverages now.

2 Likes

Where did you get your SS wire??
To help with your problem, I will gladly send you some of mine, at no charge, just to bring an end to your frustrations…no problem to me at all…promise! I know mine is right.

1 Like

And this is, in no way, in any condescension whatsoever

1 Like

Dude that’s extremely nice and generous of you. I got it from the same vendor I get my titanium wire. I’m actually going to contact him and explain my issues and ask him to send me some samples. I’m giving up on what supply I have but not on SS. Thanks for the offer man. :fist:

1 Like

Unkamen?
I have his as well AND I have some 24g and 20g beadalon wire thats fabulous…lemme know if you want some beadalon wire…I mean it!

1 Like

Yes, fron Unkamen. Oh and I should correct myself. In my rant I mentioned the eVic 60w. I shouldn’t have typed that in there.

1 Like

Well i got some SS on its way. I will see how it works in a few days lol. And a new scale too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear your frustration. My experience with SS is mostly non-TC. Today for example, I’ve got a 0.5 stock dual coil crown head in my tank again cuz my Ti build started shorting out on me last night and I didn’t have time to rebuild before bed. This stock coil vapes great at 22W, but I try to set it to TC and it tastes vaguely of scorched fibers no matter how I set it. So today was a non-TC day.

One thing about stainless is it has a very different Temperature Coefficient than Ni and Ti. Higher I think? Anyway the point is, because of this different property, it’s resistance doesn’t change as much with heat as Ni or Ti, so as finicky as building those are, there might be even less room for problems with SS. I might be gettin it wrong, but that’s my interpretation of some stuff I’ve read on TC.

1 Like

The only thing I’ve imagined could be wrong apart from bad wire is that maybe the build is moving around while I’m vaping. I really don’t see that but then again as short as I keep the legs I suppose it’s possible that expansion of the coil when heating could be causing a short. I dunno. I just sent @Pro_Vapes a tank with a fresh SS build in it. Perhaps he will look at it and see potential problems.

2 Likes

i vape SS spaced coils on my IPV3liVR and IPV4s in TC set on Ti settings…works perfect…
i havent tried SS on my DNA200 in TC yet…i hear its very unstable…people bitch about it in the forums all the time…so in the meantime, i just vape SS in wattage mode…like 85w-95w…

The comments I hear is that there are so many types of SS you can’t use just one TCoR setting… as far as it being unstable is false. I’m vaping SS right now and I’m having no issues. I just drained a tank and TC kicked in right on time. The vape was very bland from the start, but once I kicked up the heat I’m getting flavor and it’s getting better by the hit. Sometimes you just need to try it for yourself and form your own opinion.

1 Like

I ran across this post about why some are saying SS unstable using the Crown SS coils.
http://evolvapor.forumchitchat.com/post/temp-control-on-crown-ss-coils-7783496

2 Likes

The behavior they describe is much like what I’ve dealt with as well. Difference being that I build all my coils so there’s no nickel involved.