Questions regarding stainless steel wire

So far I cant say enough great things about the VTC mini its been fantastic.

2 Likes

It is an amazing little mod :slight_smile:

2 Likes

24 hrs later and my twisted SS build is holding firm with temp control. :fireworks: Unlike @daath and @cloyce I’m at 500F on the eVic Mini and 50 watts. TC is spot on. And yes, for it’s size this mod is one of the best I ever used. Definitely true for single battery mods!

2 Likes

My wife is getting one for XMas. Shhhhh…don’t tell her.

3 Likes

I’ll second that. Excellent little mod[quote=“SthrnMixer, post:83, topic:34823”]
for it’s size this mod is one of the best I ever used. Definitely true for single battery mods!
[/quote]

2 Likes

316l For me, ive been using it for quite a long while.
26g twisted
I prep it with an alcohol wipe and hit it quickly with a mini torch.

1 Like

Why do you twist it ? To reduce the resistance or for asthetic reasons?

2 Likes

More surface area. Im a single coil person so to achieve the flavor and vapor production of a dual coil build i twist it.

Pretty easy to do, first i hit it with a torch then use the coffee cup method to twist it. The down side is that it pops like crazy with some liquids, not sure why that is.

1 Like

Good to know. Thanks mate. :+1:

2 Likes

Anytime. :grinning:

One of the reasons i switched to 316L in the first place that it is a lower resistance wire meaning it require more wraps to achieve the same resistance as the same gauge Kanthal More surface area almost always equates to more flavor and vapor. And it is quite clean, no taste at all of the wire/metal.

1 Like

I’ve been using 317l ss for a while now just never thought to twist it. Been using closed and spaced coils, even with the coil closed theres still alot of surface area.

Been using this set up today on my steancrave rda

3 Likes

Do you just buy unbranded welding wire? It is what got me started on SS wire but you have to buy in bulk to get a decent price so i looked into 316L which is used in jewelry making and can be bought in smaller lengths. 30 meters for around 10 dollars i think i paid for the last bunch.

I think with my next build ill try a twisted spaced coil to see if it helps with the popping, never considered that. It can really scare the crap out of you if you arent ready for the POP! Seems to only happen when the wire is cold.

1 Like

I’ve been getting my wire from www.wireandstuff.co.uk and i think a few other ppl have been on ELR its got a good stock of stainless ni200 titanium kanthal and they even do claptons in ng 80 and kanthal. I highly recomend a look.
I have my mutation to rebuild tomorrow so i might try a duel coil 317l twisted and space that in case of any pop. See how i get on. Loving the stainless but the titanium doesn’t half bring the flavour out.
Half my gear is done in ss and the other half in ti. Ha. Best of both worlds :smile::+1:

1 Like

@Pro_Vapes sent me a bunch of wire awhile ago, in the package were some titanium core/kanthal clapton wires. It was some great stuff but of course i used it all already, hehe. So i went back to twisted as i cant make claptons because of my old man hands.

You just reminded me that i have a roll of titanium, ive got to look for it and give it a go again.

1 Like

Good. Lets know how you find it. Nice to talk to you. :+1:

2 Likes

And you as well, i always love to meet new people. :smile:

1 Like

:wink:I was around before your break but was just a nood then. Ha

2 Likes

This is sittin on my VTC Mini, 26G 316L reading 0.15 ohms. The build is a couple days old, but I just noticed how dark the wires have gotten. Not sure when that happened there. Been running it 480F at 50W today. Wanna say it was working OK at a lower temp previously, but I haven’t been taking notes, so I may just be thinking of what the Crown was running at.

Anyway the flavor’s good, and TC seems to be working OK. I love not getting dry hits on a dripper!

3 Likes

I built a few winch coils with 316L and I didn’t get any popping. Great flavor and nice heating. Give it a shot.

Damn, I can’t find 316L on that unkommon website, all I see is 317…could somebody link me up?