R.T.A or R.D.A

Just assembled my first rda, a billow v3 with the coils that came with it. I haven’t tried any others so i can’t compare it but i like it. No leaking so far, no break in, great vape from the beginning. It comes to 0.3 Ohms and I’m giving it 55 Watts for now and it’s great. Sufficient airflow, that was a problem with the rebuildable deck for the Crown 1 for me. Very happy so far…

3 Likes

I too had issues with the nano. Found out it doesn’t like high vg liquid and also doesn’t like being filled to the top. Just to the top of rhe Glass otherwise it’s dry hits

2 Likes

The problem I had was nothing was tightened down enough, so when I got a dry hit and went to check the coils the whole thing came apart. Probably my fault. I should have disassembled it when I pulled it out of the box instead of doing a rush cleaning, then I would have caught that. But I got excited 'cause new toy! I don’t recall having this issue with my other Engines. Hell, my black one was a pain in the ass to take apart.

And, yeah, I noticed that as well. OBS tanks seem to be able to only handle liquids that are less than 75% VG.

3 Likes

Unfortunately the Billow v3 started leaking after a few days and I haven’t even taken it apart yet. In Germany everybody seems to be after the Advken Manta right now, apparently it was out of stock everywhere the last 4 months.

1 Like

I use several Engine Nanos daily using max vg and have none of the issues mentioned here. I love them. They are all generally running a tri core fc, 3mm 5-6 wraps. I particularly love my fruits in them. I have a Zeus that has the sexiest af I’ve ever experienced but flavor is not as good as the Nano imo. Crius 2 is another great single coil. There is a new Engine 2 being released soon, should be a winner.

3 Likes

The triple rta is ok.Takes a few attempts to get the wicking perfect though. Only a small slot to feed into. Chucks decent clouds but I found flavour could be a bit muted. Better flavour from the kylin imo.

2 Likes

RTA or RDA, why not both? They both have their uses :smiley:

The griffin 25 is a solid rta, I dont use mine too much anymore tho, should probably recoil and rewick the one I have standing here and give it a new go - geekvape were ahead of their time with the griffins imho.

For pure rtas I love them having a tight chamber (most if not all 24mm rtas), but able to fit a couple of 6 wrap 3mm id clapton coils. This usually give me the best flavour out of my ni80 wire (3x 28ga + 1x 36ga) at around 50w.

Currently in love with the Footoon Aqua Reboot, I concider this a 100 dollar premium RTA for 1/3 the price.

But as mentioned above, Steamcrave deliver some of the best RDTAs out there. Just remember, as a rule, and to all rules there are exceptions. The larger chambers often benefit from higher wattage / temp to achieve the same flavour / heat.

For anyone new looking into any RTA I would steer them into a steamcrave aromamizer supreme rdta v2. The options you have with the steamcrave products are better than most rta’s out there. And the ability to pull the deck out and look at it from every side helps the learning curve for both coiling and wicking.

However, I feel I get better flavour in general from the tighter chamber rtas. I love my battery life, and want to stay at around 50w. (Yeah I know, I’ve gotten stuck in a certain setup :smiley: )

4 Likes

Opinions vary! I can’t recommend this RTA to anyone.
Because of all the great remarks I saw about this RTA, I finally took the plunge and bought myself one. I’ve only once been more disappointed (i.e. the iJoy Limitless RDTA). The Griffin is very difficult to wick properly and the flavor is muted. I’ve tried wicking with different types of cotton, rayon, hemp, regular round wire coils of different gauges, high and low builds, different types of metals as well as claptons and fused claptons… absolutely nothing gave me any satisfaction.

Especially nowadays, there are way better RTAs that give tons more flavor, have more options when it comes to builds, have bigger and easier build decks to work on. If I really had to rate it, I’d give it a 2/5 rating.

6 Likes

FIrst off, yeah the ijoy limitless rdta were not a huge one here either :smiley: :-1:

I know what you mean, and I too can relate to what I initially thought were false reviews. Coil size and position is key for the griffin 25 (I think its the plus I have, not sure if the diffrences are huge from regular to plus tho). The cotton also have to hang down in a certain way to get this to deliver good flavour without any dry hits (not exactly for the freshies). Rewicked it like 12 times, adjusting coil positioning every time to come to a conclusion that the RTA had something going for it. Now with that said, yeah, taste is subjective, and for its time it were a good rta. Its not easy to coil and wick good. I might be biased based on nostalgia alone (if thats possible in 1-2 years? :smiley: )

I bought a churchill RTA for approx 100 euro here in Norway, and thought the RTA were a complete dud. 6 recoils later I had to eat the same words, it’s constantly in rotation and an example of how some tanks need lifted coils, wicking is probably the easiest on the churchill tho, but if you even think about lowering the coils above a certain height (or shorten the legs of the coils) its gonna mute anything going thru.

But yeah, you are right, taste is subjective, this is why I tend to steer people interested in rebuilding towards anything but rta’s. Now I should probably steer them into a prebuilt coil setup with mesh coils, above anything else :smiley:

4 Likes

I also need to rewick my Griffins, I have been using RDA’s instead of it/them (griffins) but love mine.

4 Likes

I love my griffin too. Still use mine…when I’m not using one of my Ammits.

3 Likes

@CallMeTut @Harlan_Grey @Mausberg What kind of vg/pg ratio, coils and wick are you guys using in the Griffin?
I’ll give it another try for the sake of it…

3 Likes

I swear by ni80 fused claptons (3x28ga + 1x 36ga) in rtas, 3m id, 6 wraps that ohm out around 0.2. Any vg/pg, I usually vape 80vg and upwards. Any wick goes as long as its not overpacked, I usually use cotton bacon cause its whats easily available.

3 Likes

never any dry hits when chain vaping? those wick holes are tiny…

2 Likes

Not really, but I dont chain that many puffs in a row to find out. This is where cotton amount comes in, cause mine seems to wick alright. Not the biggest hole I agree, but neither are the ones in the steamcrave aromamizer supreme rdta v2 either, its sort of the same principle, dont choke the holes with cotton, and the capilary (spelling?) action will take it from there.

edit:
I’ll try rewicking it and take some pics, can even try diffrent type of cotton and see if theres any huge diffrence.

4 Likes

I like the serpent smm with 1x0.1 ss316L ribbon 5 wraps 3.5mm od.
Never leaks, can be hot or cold and always gives about as much flavour as my goon clone.
Also, only runs in TC with at 20w max power and is up to temp super fast. But this is more the light coil.

My serpent mini with 0.5x0.1 ss316l 7/8 wraps 3mm does the same but is less versatile

4 Likes

Currently I do a 5 wrap of fused clapton (28 x2/32 x1) at 2.5mm center with Koh Gen Do cotton. Wicking is an art with a Griffin. I use 80 vg mixes.

3 Likes

I also use 80/20 vg/pg I had a few pics on how I wicked posted on here a while back I’ll see if I could/can find them.
EDIT:

3 Likes

I’m going to disappoint many of the connoisseurs in this forum. But my TFV8 with the RBA deck has outperformed many others that have been recommended to me. Big coils fit easily, I never get dry hits or leaks unless I really screw up the wicking. Flavor is better than any other RTA I’ve tried. It just works well.

3 Likes

what kind of coils are you using?

2 Likes