Rayon or Cotton?

i used cotton, all the different varieties, exclusively for the last coupla yearsā€¦until just recently, last month, when i received a bag of cotton blend from FiberFreaks. after trying their cotton blend, i tried their original line, which is all cellulose, and from there, iā€™ve taken offā€¦i am now on a constant search for non-cotton wicking materials.
i was recently sent a bag of rayon by a fellow forum member and i am enjoying what ive used so far.
i believe that slowly but surely i will omit cotton from my wicking repertoire altogether. i am completely open to suggestions, links, advice, or anything to help me along with my switchā€¦
So @Kinnikinnick if you know any secrets, tips, tricks to help me alongā€¦or if you wanna share with me where you buy your rayon, iā€™m all ears!
thanks for listeningā€¦and helping, if you can

3 Likes

I bought a few things from Origin Vape a while back and saw they had rayon for sale in 3 ft. packs for $1. Itā€™s pretty much the same rayon that most folks use today. I figured after reading how much people liked it, Iā€™d give it a try for a buck! 3 ft. will last anybody a good long while, unless your wicking atomizers for fun and profit in your community! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Itā€™s cheap! $23 for 1200 ft on Amazon :stuck_out_tongue: You can get it in smaller quantities as well. Just go for the ones that are not ā€œreinforcedā€ā€¦

4 Likes

So basically wick it tightly, more so than cotton, eh? A couple years back i bought a box, first experience was bad then i gave it to a friend that works at a salon. A reddit member sent me some, along with some candy and 304SS, so i figure ill give it another try.

I better not like it as i have 5 packs of Shiseido padsā€¦

3 Likes

Yes, you cram a bit more rayon in the coil than you would cotton - Although I cram quite a bit of cotton in my coils, so I think it would be about the same (although rayon seems to have less mass, so a greater amount squishes together)ā€¦

4 Likes

Funny! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I found a post from a while ago that had ā€œsomeoneā€ talking about Rayon and itā€™s possible use in tanks!

ā€¦I never paid attention in school either! :pensive: If I had been a bit more curious about wicking back then (February '15), just think about all the flavorful vapes I couldā€™ve vaped.

3 Likes

On a side note:

My wife just opened a bottle of one of her one a day type vitamin supplements to find a huge wad of pharmaceutical rayon at the top! Woot! Itā€™s probably enough to last me 3 months worth of rewicking!

So, check those Rx bottles! :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna order some . I need a change !

2 Likes

If you wait a couple of days, Origin Vape is about to get some black Griffins in stock :heart_eyes: You can get two thing you want! :wink:

vapingmorecheap code gets you 5%offā€¦:grinning:

Add10 code gets you 5% offā€¦ :grinning:

Seems like add 10 would get you 10 % off, but it doesnā€™t, however, which one of these coupon codes would you like to use? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Or:

Black or SS in stock! :wink:

2 Likes

iā€™m still tryna find my happy place with rayonā€¦more in how much to use specifically. i know i can continue the trial and error bit, but i dont wanna keep rewicking my tanks, especially after filling them up with juice! so, i ask, any pointers? tips? guidelines? how much FU*#*N rayon should i put in the damn coil?? lolā€¦any help is appreciatedā€¦

1 Like

What are the issues with your rayon experiences?

1 Like

well, one of the first times i used it, i guess i didnt put enough in the coils(Billow v2) and the juice just travelled up my wicks and down the air holes under the coilsā€¦so now i am terrified itā€™ll happen again and i am finding myself stuffing as much as possibleā€¦so now iā€™m worried about dry hitsā€¦i mean, i can really worry myself into NOT doing something correctly. so i just want something to go byā€¦

1 Like

I wanna use it in something else besides the Aromamizerā€¦cuz, ya know, that thing cant leak!

1 Like

Is the Aromamizer a leaking machine? I havenā€™t kept up with the threads on this atomizer. :pensive:

1 Like

Oh gosh noā€¦it literally CANT leak

1 Like

So my question is: for use in tanks, how much rayon? Like as much as possible?

1 Like

Rayon is a bit tricky in the fact that you pluck off a bit more than you think youā€™ll need off of the master coil of rayon. Now comes the process of feathering and compacting the rayon down to a roll which is a bit smaller than a #2 pencil. This should thread into your coil with a bit of resistance but not enough to distort the coil. Tug back and forth on the rayon once installed I your coil until it slides smoothly from side to side. Cut the wick ends so that once you juice up the tails, the wick ends lay at the top of the juice channel on whatever atomizer you are using; donā€™t choke the juice channel with rayon.

I use a 40PG/60VG juice most of the time, so this may be why I donā€™t have flow problems with rayon or any wicking material. And if you use enough rayon and seat those wick tails properly, you wonā€™t have flooding. :wink:

1 Like

So I shouldnā€™t twist the hell outta this stuff so as to fit more in there?
Thats the part Iā€™m indecisive aboutā€¦the rest I know aboutā€¦thats the same no matter why materialā€¦

1 Like

No twisting. The fibers/strands of rayon are loooooong; so, you basically want to just flatten or compact the fibers or strands before you thread them into the coil. Twisting the fibers would create a corkscrew effect with the strands of rayon, making it more difficult for the juice to flow to the coil. :wink:

3 Likes