Re-wrapping batteries

Just thought I would create this tutorial to show you how to rewrap your batteries that have torn or damaged shrink wrap.

Items you will need.

18650 shrink wrap - this is sold either in single pieces the correct size for your batteries or in lengths. I bought a 5m length of shrink wrap.

A blow torch or jet lighter.

Scissors.

Measuring tape or ruler.

So if you’re like me and your batteries have seen better days. Notice the damage by my wedding finger.

Then you should be looking at rewrapping your batteries.

Start by using the scissors to cut the bottom of your shrink wrap off your battery.

Then peel the wrap off leaving your silver battery naked.

Make sure you keep the insulator/protector from the positive end of your battery as this will go back on.

Take your shrink wrap and cut 70mm in length of the wrap.

Slide your 18650 with insulator/protector into the 18650 wrap.

Make sure you have the same amount of over hang at the top and the bottom approx 3-4mm.

At a distance of about 4-5inches start waving the blow torch acros the top of your 18650 until the top fits snug.

Repeat the process for the bottom and then for the sides.

When complete go over the entire battery until you are happy with the fit.

It may take you a couple of attempts to get this technique to a point you are happy with but I just thought I would share how easy this process is.

Vape safe everyone.

CMJ

30 Likes

Excellent tutorial @Jondamon. I’ll need to rewrap a couple batteries soon. This will come in handy when that time come… Bookmarked!

2 Likes

I thought I had better contribute something as I’ve been very quiet lately. Lol.

That’s all your fault!!!

Damn 22gTi and its flavour lol.

CMJ

6 Likes

Nice!:wink:

Having used shrink wrap in the world of my livelihood, I know there are different thicknesses of shrink wrap. What is the thickness of the shrink wrap you used and where did you purchase yours? We might not be able to purchase from the same vendor, but we can use the vendors info for comparison with other vendors. :grinning:

2 Likes

Never thought to post the original advert.

Amazon.

It was around $3 for 5m.

It’s thicker than the wrap that came off the 25R’s.

CMJ

4 Likes

Here’s the Ebay listing with free ship…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-16Ft-29-5mm-Green-PVC-Heat-Shrinking-Tubing-Wrap-Cover-for-1-x-18650-Battery-/311319515426?hash=item487c16d122

2 Likes

Cool, thanks!

With our box mods, the thickness of the wrap is not such a big deal, however, with mechs, one might meet with limited success if the wrap is too thick! :confounded: I guess just buying the thinnest wrap one can buy, would be the way to go? :wink:

2 Likes

I learn something new everyday. I probably would have bought the first wrap I saw. The school of ELR… Good info. :+1:

4 Likes

Here you go, if you don’t mind a Slow Boat From China (SBFC Shipping), a listing with lots of pretty colors, even better price, and still free ship…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/29-5MM-18-5MM-PVC-Heat-Shrink-Tubing-Layflat-Wrap-Li-ion-18650-18500-Battery-2M-/311151125880?var=610358468557&hash=item48720d6578

2 Likes

I’m starting to have second thoughts about some of these vendors. EFun has me looking at them with a side eye. Like the saying goes… you get what you pay for. I bought a cheap mod and I got a cheap mod.

3 Likes

I get them at Fasttech, 50 pieces for $1.36 and I do the shrinking with a hairdryer cause I have no blowtorch.

5 Likes

Actually that’s not bad at all. Already cut to size and 50 pieces. As long as…

they don’t use SBFC shipping…lol

4 Likes

Since I’ve ordered from Gearbest I will never complain about Fasttech again. Gearbest doesn’t have a boat, they deliver on foot.

6 Likes

These are the ones I got http://www.ebay.com/itm/271834999423 ordered on Monday afternoon, on my porch Friday afternoon (Houston to Dallas). Probably take 1-2 more days for more remote parts of the country.

They have other colors, too. I’m not sure what possessed me to get the clear ones. It was a silly idea. :blush:

Very easy to do though. I expected it to take a lot of time under the hair dryer since you’re supposed to use heat guns, but it was pretty much instant!

1 Like

That’s an awesome pic! ROTFL😂

2 Likes

Hmmm, yes, I noticed that…

5 Likes

Great pictorial … Thanks! I need to wrap a few of mine, now I know how :smile:

3 Likes

thanks J I might try some later tonight. nice job makes it look easy…? ha we’ll see

2 Likes

Cool! Never even thought of this. Thanks!

Alternatively you can order transparent wraps from FT and put all kinds of cool stuff underneath like this. :wink:
Oh and you can use a hairdryer instead of a blowtorch to shrink those wraps too.

10 Likes