Re-wrapping batteries

I used a hair dryer to for a while then I got this heat gun

3 Likes

After my last post I did this re-wrap on 2 of my batteries using a clear wrapper I did the
logo

13 Likes

That one is done

1 Like

Agreedā€¦ I usually only keep batteries for about 1 year to 15 months then itā€™s time for new ones

Iā€™m coming up on that 1 1/2 year mark on all of mine

1 Like

Yup illumn is about to get more than a 100$ order from me in the next month or so lol

2 Likes

Is that where you buy your 18650s Jayrell?

1 Like

Yes sir only place I ever buy them anymoreā€¦ I have mainly purchased theseā€¦
http://www.illumn.com/18650-lg-18650g2-3000mah-high-discharge-flat-top.html
I donā€™t own any mechs and my topical build ohms out around .4 I usually donā€™t go lower than .3 and donā€™t really vape over 80 watts most days Iā€™m right around 55 to 65 watts so these batteries serve me well and very reliable

3 Likes

Does everyone rewrap their batteries. I have a few , where the little white ring fell out. I wonder if i should throw them away or rewrap them. They are only six months old.

4 Likes

You can get replacement insulator rings. I would re-wrap with new insulators if they are only 6 months old.

5 Likes

go to FT and order a bunch of wraps and some insulators. they are pretty cheap for even the custom ones.

the insulator is ABSOLUTELY the ā€œmost importantā€ part of the battery wrap and safety !!!

i have found that using a heat gun works the best, using a hair drier sucks and doesnā€™t work as well.

7 Likes

Itā€™s up to you @robin, and your patience level. Technically once a battery is damaged it should be tossed, BUT, as mentioned above you may be able to save some.

4 Likes

Clarification for folks new to re-wrapping:

A battery is not damaged merely by a wrap being torn. As long as the battery itself is in good physical condition, itā€™s a candidate for a new wrap.

If the battery is dented, mis-shapen, or any aspect of the metal container is breached (read as: has a hole of any type or size), then itā€™s best to handle it with caution, immediately remove it from use, and dispose of it properly.

There is a bit of technique and some basic information that should be understood before you attempt rewrapping.
For instance, you donā€™t want to heat up the battery too much during the process, and extra care should be given to the area where the positive and negative areas are closest in meeting (the whole reason for the protective insulation ring on the top).

There are other things to bear in mind, but itā€™s not a difficult process (for most). The main thing is to (as is often the case) do some research BEFORE you attempt it.

6 Likes

So this could benefit from a new wrap :smirk:

Before the guffaws start rolling in though: I rarely use this battery now anyway, since thereā€™s another 5 thatā€™re all higher mAh and in much better condition though I still swap it out in the charger while Iā€™m moving the newer ones around.

3 Likes

in the 2nd pic, I see a dent there on top. Is it the metal casing or just the wrap?

2 Likes

That, is from me prying it out of a mod with a screwdriver and damaging the battery in doing so :smirk:

Thereā€™s an actual hole in the side from that same screwdriver too, though itā€™s only very small and barely punctured the metal casing at all :slight_smile:

The battery still works, though Iā€™m sure yeah Iā€™m taking the piss a bit here: I mean I will use it if everything else is flat, but donā€™t otherwise :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Better be safe though. I would suggest to throw it away.

4 Likes

Yeah I should :slight_smile:

Will. I will chuck it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You donā€™t sayā€¦ :crazy_face:

5 Likes

you shouldnā€™t be using it AT ALL.

4 Likes