Ready to start diy journey

Hello, I’m Letitia. I’m going nuts looking for recipes. Would like to ask for some guidance. Primarily use single coils rtas with various clapton builds. My favorite vapes are all orange types, pineapple, and floral.

3 Likes

Tyr these links out

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/list?q=orange
http://e-liquid-recipes.com/list?q=pineapple
http://e-liquid-recipes.com/list?q=floral

if you click on the Rating tab (upper right) it will give you the top results first.

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

There is a lot of reading but the pinned threads in the beginner forum has so much valuable information that it is totally worth the read and re-read, hehe. Best of luck on your journey, the rabbit hole is deep so be careful!

4 Likes

Search function is your friend. Tons of info out there. Just need to set time aside to read and read some more.

3 Likes

^^^

This includes Google. A lot of stuff is on ELR (and can be found with Google) but you can also find other relevant information on other sites that may help you. There’s a ton of information on ELR, Youtube, Reddit, DIYorDIE and so on.
A lot of people have already published their personal flavor notes that can help you narrow down which flavors are better suited for certain things than others. Flavors are a bit like colors… there’s more than 50 shades of grey and there’s more than 50 different flavors of anything as well.

3 Likes

Thank you for showing me the “orange” thread. Finding a simple recipe has been a nightmare. I just need to find which oranges I like first.

Followed your link. You are a true gem, and entertaining to boot! Thank you. Read most of it, will read over it again tomorrow. Would like mix stand alone orange, mandarin & tangerine to learn what brands I prefer for mixing. :yum:

Orange is a true pain in the butt. For a true full orange flavor as the primary without the harsh hit. If you only bought a few to start… tangerine flv (I have been enoughing this lately mixed with shisha orange inw with a cream base). Blood orange FA. Orange FA…only if you want a low percent to mix a bakery.

And I can easily say no to juicy orange cap, orange dream bar FW. Both are week and when you start going high in the percents it gets that harsh high note which for me destroys the mix.

4 Likes

I was going to order MTS Vape Wizard FA to help with that. I like tang on my tongue, but do not like th. I want to try an orange blossom. Was thinking 3 part mandarin, 1 part orange, 2 part honeysuckle, and .5 part jasmine. Any tips on %'s to start with?

I absolutely LOVE FA Orange (have yet to try FA Blood Orange but I read it’s basically Orange with a little extra). I use it up to 4% in cookies (but that needs a steep to mellow down). Love, love, love it! Can’t live without it anymore. If I had to drop every fruit and remain with only 1 choice left, this would be it.

But flavors are very subjective. A lot of people love CAP Sugar Cookie for example and I find it a little “meh”, it’s OK but I’m not over the moon about it. Same with VBIC and custards (even though I love to eat them).
Other people’s flavor notes are important and a good guideline, but there’s still a lot you have to discover yourself. When you buy stuff, don’t forget to take notes yourself.

Always test your flavors in standalone. Lots of people don’t want to mix single flavors and dive straight into recipes, but it’s a really good thing to do. If you’re cooking, you also constantly taste to see where it’s going, what ingredients taste like by themselves.
A drop on your hand or in some water can give you a very good idea where a flavor is at, but it’s still not quite the same as vaping it.

MTS Vape Wizard is I’d say an advanced additive. A lot of people don’t use it at all and when you see recipes, it’s usually just mentioned in the notes (optional 1 drop of MTS per 10ml) or something like that. I’d definitely start mixing without it to start with. It’ll also give you a bit of an understand of what it actually does if you first mix without and if it’s harsh or too airy, you’ll see what effect it has. Use it too much and it completely ruins a recipe.

When you’re talking about flavors and ask for %, always mention which brand and which specific flavoring you have in mind, what you want to be the dominant flavor and what an undertone. Some are very strong, others are not strong at all. Some flavors get soapy, peppery or give a chemical taste to it when you use them too much.
You can always check up on the flavors (User / Flavor list) and check what the average % are for those flavors and read up on others’ notes. These things are in detail explained in the beginners guides, most are pinned threads in the Beginners forum and I highly recommend you go through them before you start mixing. There is a ton of useful information right there.

4 Likes

Some excellent advice in this post. Ive been mixing for a few years and almost every time i dont mix a single flavor tester i regret it.

While i use the site for some of my recipes im working on i still write them down. I also write down my tasting notes, this helps shove these memories into long term storage in my few remaining brain cells.

Always remember that taste is more subjective than you think it is and none of the flavoring companies like flavors will taste exactly the same. There are 30 hundred bagillion strawberry flavorings and each one is just a bit different. So when you find a mix that you want to make and dont have the exact flavor you use your single flavor testing knowledge to find the best substitute from your collection. Or just buy the fracking flavor, hehe.

And dont be afraid to ask questions, answering them is what we do. :slight_smile:

Most of all enjoy.

PS. There are very few blunders that large amounts of menthol cant fix. :wink:

4 Likes

Found the flavor list, so helpful to have a starting point for %. Actually relaxing and starting to enjoy the beginning of my new journey! Afraid menthol wont help me, can’t stand it or koolada. Odd since I only smoked menthol for 46 years.

1 Like

I had the same thing when I started mixing and a couple weeks ago I ordered a bottle of ws-23 (from what I’ve read, it’s a “different type” of koolada). There are quite a few different cooling agents that you can use actually.

It’s pretty neat if you want a bit of a cooling effect when you’re vaping your “ice cream” or a “cocktail” that is supposed to be cool, not hot.

3 Likes

I usually start a bit below the suggested %s, the site has been around for a few years now so some of the older flavorings, (Flavor West, The Flavor Apprentice, Capella) might be a bit high, ive even gone back and edited some of mine.

Sucks about the menthol, when i first started mixing i vaped a lot of it because of my screw ups.

I was just asking about that tonight, im considering getting some but have 4oz of menthol crystals and a big bag of koolada.

2 Likes

I only used it in 1 mix so far and I royally screwed it up. It really is what they write about it, an arctic blast :slight_smile:

Someone said use 0.5% to 0.75%, so I used 0.5% and man, brain freeze! I have to experiment a little with it but it’s going to be in drops per 30ml next time.
If you’re going overboard and you’re sensitive to menthol, you might notice a hint of menthol, but really only if you focus on it. Most of it is just “freezing cold” blast. Mostly in your mouth, not so much in your throat, lungs or nose. Use it sparingly if you get some.

2 Likes

Would take a lot of convincing, Maybe down the road if I’m missing something and have tried everything else. Was very intrigued when persimmon was mentioned as a bridge. Going to order for singles now. All I’ve known is commercial juices, want to see what my fruits taste like without all the sweeteners. Going to order a sweet cream and a meringue for single in case I want to add to something after steeping.

1 Like

Some are very sweet by themselves and may need a little extra to tame them a bit, with others you expect them to be sweet and they’re not at all… this is where the flavor testing comes in :wink:
It’s definitely not because you use your own flavors that there won’t be any sweetness.

2 Likes

So if 4% is recommended, start with 3%?

1 Like

Yeah there have been a couple of people tell me I’m crazy to bother with singles. Say I should jump in with full recipes. I feel they are wrong. How will I learn what I like if I don’t try flavors individually?

2 Likes