Real Flavors Super Concentrates Tasting Notes (Part 1)

We need to invite @MysticRose to this discussion as well as @Ken_O_Where , they were the others that noted some flavor lose on the RF RAW Brownie Batter extract a while back.:slight_smile:

6 Likes

I love MF extracts, but if I can find a cheaper alternative Iā€™ll use it. Have you tried Holy Vanilla? Iā€™m finding it to be a very good alternative to the MFā€¦ Especially for bakery mixes. I tend to use Vanilla MF for fruit mixes.

2 Likes

Yes , I have been using the Holy Vanilla for almost three months now and I canā€™t fault it at all.

5 Likes

Thanks @BoyHowdy for the tag. Been super busy with some stuff lately, so kinda MIA in keeping up right now.

Ok, I do have quite a few flavors that has had flavor fade. But not all are SCā€™s, but most are VG as I already had them and am using them up before purchasing the SCā€™s. I will try to keep my thoughts clear and not ramble.

These first ones are Super Concentrates, and all opinions are based on single flavor testing.

Brownie Batter: 1.5% at a 3-10 day steep was my sweet spot, lick the spoon rofl gooey goodness. After that it slowly fades into a baked brownie flavor and loses itā€™s gooey fudgy flavor. 4 weeks is a weaker version of baked brownie, still good but nothing like fresh!!

Yumberry 1%: Copied and pasted from my notes. At a 4 week steep. This flavor has surprisingly faded a little bit with the longer steep. Still bright and juicy, just not as strong. I will be using this as a S&V at around 1-1.5% as itā€™s plenty strong as a SF. If using in something I will be steeping I would start at 1.5-2.5% SF. Starting point as a mixer for me will be at 1% and go up from there.

The following are VG.

Lemon Cake at 10%: Copied from notes. @4 week steep. This is still a good lemon. It has muted just slightly with steep as is common with lemon, but very small difference. However, the cake has almost completely disappeared to me. Still very sweet. I will use it more as a S&V and not mix more than a weekā€™s worth at a time, because that first week it was amazing.

Coconut Cream Pie at 10%: Very very creamy and yummy from day 3 to around 5-6 weeks. After that fades into a thick cream with only a hint of coconut. Iā€™m finishing up one at about a 4 month steep now and all I get is creamy slightly sweet weak coconut.

Butterscotch Pudding at 10%: Incredibly rich and delicious for me from about 3 weeks until the 7-8 week mark. After that it quickly fades into nothing. Again working on a bottle now that has steeped around 4 months and it still has a slightly thick mouth feel and is sweet, but the butterscotch is almost nonexistent.

Thatā€™s about all I have noticed as of yet with the ones I have, but I donā€™t have very many of their flavors yet. I do have notes on all the flavors I have in my stash though.

Sorry I couldnā€™t help more, but thank you all for pioneering the super concentrates and taking the time to keep us informed. I am watching and reading and is extremely helpful to me and Iā€™m sure many others.

8 Likes

I dont want to say bad things against RF, but I spent too much on them, so maybe somebody will find this info useful when working with this company.
Their flavors are unstable, fading and are very different from time I ordered them. RF can just change recipe and still sell as is. For example in august I ordered 1litre of Apple Pie and Coconut Cream Pie. Coconut cream Pie was totally waste of money. I liked Apple Pie alot, so decided to order another litre. It came, with different color, but while I was still using previous litre, this bottle standed unopened till this day. It is another flavor at all, no cinnamon that I liked, also they added Sugar Cookie to this Apple Pie. Confused now what to do with it. Anybody experienced the same?

3 Likes

Weird results from 2 different mixes using SB Raw RFā€¦

This 1st mixis lively and full of flavor after 1 month. The SB is full but the GC is very light, almost non-existent.

Strawberry Cream Pie

1% Cream Whipped (FA)
1.5% Graham Cracker (SC) (Real Flavors)
2% Strawberry (SC) (Real Flavors)
1% Sweet Cream (CAP)
0.7% Vanilla (MF)
5% Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP)

Flavor total: 11.2%
Remember to rate it at: http://tjek.nu/r/7NtH

For this 2nd mix The SB is very weak and lacks the definition of my 1st mix. Iā€™ve used this base in several mixes without issue, so it makes me wonder if the Cake batter is the issueā€¦

Strawberry Shake v2

3.5% (Flavor Base) Vanilla Milkshake (Gmix)
0.8% Cake Batter (SC) (Real Flavors)
2.5% Strawberry (SC) (Real Flavors)

Flavor total: 6.8%
Remember to rate it at: http://tjek.nu/r/7QJA

6 Likes

I just tried an adapted version of one of my juicesā€¦( btw Iā€™m having so much fun using the RF raw updating my recipes ! )

OMG that SB is sooo sooo good I am so happy I read yā€™alls reviews

I whole heartly agree 100% the SB is like a semi sweet one that has a touch of wild berries not green but just a lil wildness. So good. I have been using it all over but mainly for a higher top note around 1.5% in a mix.

Condensed Milk - Man if you really like a drier milk that leans toward a powedered milk then this is for you itā€™s got body & depth as well as a terrific mouthfeel. Very fluffy ! I just may toss FAā€™s out the window Bye !

9 Likes

Hoping to start single flavor testing of my 24 new flavors today. Planning to do them in 6 flavor batches. I do 20 ml testers in 30ml bottles and test them off and on for a couple weeks to decide if they need more/less flavor and once I have tested them enough to get some bottles below 15ml they will get combined into 30 ml plastic dripper bottles to try combinations and wash/reuse the glass bottles for more testers. It is going to take a couple months to get thru all 24 and keep doing my recipe testers with my limited number of glass dropper bottles.

Batch 1 is tentatively:

• Banana
  • Baked Bread
  • Bourbon
  • Cream
  • Coconut
  • Brown Sugar
7 Likes

This would be a terrible thing to do. If the formula changes it should be introduced as a different version. Mixers create their mixes on a certain profile and any changes to concentrates will also change the mix.

RF has been very been transparent in the past, so hopefully this was some type of bottling mistake. Consistency is key to DIY. You should contact @Walt_RealFlavors at RealFlavors with your issue.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll be doing the same when mine arrive :+1: I swear it takes longer to get from London to my address than it does to get from US to UK!

4 Likes

I canā€™t be of much help but I will tell you what I have found out.On a question about the color differences , it has come up before and here is the response given by @Walt_RealFlavors from that thread.
It was a similar question from @MysticRose about the color of the Cream Soda flavor.
"Sounds odd but one of the natural ingredient extracts likes to change a bit on me depending where I source it fromā€¦ #NotAlwaysInSeason "

I have over 60 flavors from RF but I have only replaced three of them and they were always the same.I will say when dealing with RF the most important thing is to shake them ,and shake them some more before mixing.This is especially true in the VG , I now do all of my flavors from every company this way.
This is especially true when using Cinnamon , it will separate and it will come to the top.Then when you dispense it from the bottle the cinnamon goes to the bottom and it will seem like the cinnamon is gone.
I hate to hear of your problems @evaper !

6 Likes

Oh boy I got high hopes for that RF SC Bourbon. Fresh in the bottle it smells like a super high proof bourbon but mixed down at 1% in 70vg it smells absolutely spot on. Had planned on doing 1.5% to start but decided to go lower to start. The cream I did at 0.8% and once these are both thoroughly tested as single flavors they will be mixed together to see how it stacks up against the big bottle of VG based Aged Bourbon Cream I have steeping. The Banana and Baked Bread will eventually get mixed together as will the Coconut and Brown Sugar testers. All of them smell really spot on once mixed with my badger for 20 seconds.

6 Likes

Thank you for taking care about my problem. I dont want to distrub @Walt_RealFlavors, yeah I remember that color depends on season/harvest. But my situation is different. I experienced this problem only with big orders.

Just one question to everyone, maybe related to wrong labeling. I have Cinnamon Roll SC on hands, and cant smell any Cinnamon in my bottle, while I tried VG version and liked it a lot.

BTW some RF SC are in steeping stage, smells amazing, later I will post complex recipes that I mixed.

2 Likes

Had to SnV test the Bourbon then the Cream testersā€¦ not sure what to think, they werenā€™t bad, but I already drank a few real bourbons before hand. Will try to let them steep and give some sober tasting notes later.

4 Likes

Banana in own juice

Ingredient %
Banana (SC) Real Flavors 1.5
Caramel (SC) (Real Flavors) 0.5
Stevia (Real Flavors) 0.5
Sugar Cookie (SC) (Real Flavors) 0.45
Vanilla Custard (SC) (Real Flavors ) 0.8

Flavor total: 3.75%

Remember to rate it at e-liquid-recipes.com!

Really loved some mixes with RF Banana SC, so sharing best one and some tasting notes along.

Banana (SC) RealFlavors - very authentic banana flavor, but you know real banana has ā€œbutteryā€ note, here it is missing, it is flat-tasty banana. Also found that without any work on it, it can give you, mm, ā€œnewspaperā€ taste )) However, with little work it can give good tasty banana that everyone will be in love. Do not heat this flavor, very volatile. I think min amount in mixes: 0.75%, standalone 1.5+%

Caramel (SC) (Real Flavors) - very light on its own, liked it. Nothing chemical here, very lightweight caramel flavor. Min amount in mixes: 0.5-1.5%, standalone not sure, didnt tried.

Stevia (Real Flavors) - diluted in PDO, very nice, loved it. Tried 0.5-1.0%, going over 1.0% is overhead for me.

Sugar Cookie (SC) (Real Flavors) - what a wonderful diamond from RF! Really, can give good addition to Custards, especially for CAP Vanilla Custard. Nothing chemical, must have. This SC is potent enough comparable to other SC. Amount in mixes: 0.2-0.8%

Vanilla Custard (SC) (Real Flavors) - same as VG version for me. Liked it a lot, very buttery, but as I like it to be. Nothing chemical or annoying found here. Also this one is potent enough. Try it from 0.2-0.8%. This concentrate does not fade, only shines from time.

9 Likes

dude, wait, whatā€¦ they have their own steviaā€¦ added to next order

1 Like

link to pdo stevia, not seeing itā€¦

2 Likes

Try to search in Lab supplies category

3 Likes

Blueberry extract severely fades after 30 days using .5%

3 Likes

believe iā€™ll have to go 1 to 1.5% on the blueberry to get the flavor where i need it after a steep with a particular mix. no other issues so far with RF SC when using the bakery type flavorings. right now itā€™s just the fruits that fade. im wondering if the SC blueberry just doesnā€™t like heat during vaping. not sure. need to experiment more. i even mixed this recipe with RF blueberry SC along with MF blueberry and it still faded.

3 Likes