Real Flavors Super Concentrates Tasting Notes (Part 1)

I loved my butter toffee SF tester at 1.5%, guess my bar is set low or you all set yours too high

2 Likes

I used it in a mix @.7% and it worked well. I didnt do any SF test tho.

2 Likes

i saw 7% at first, but I assume that is 0.7%?

3 Likes

Yep, 0.7% percent.

3 Likes

I mixed and I am just sampling another new toffee to me from Bestcigeliquid (Toffee Cream) alongside it and the BCL although still not perfect, has so much toffee flavour that you can taste in the finished flavour when compared to the RF (SC) version I tried previously over the weekend. The BCL version is still is a little sweet for my tastes, but it does have an interesting smoky note to it and the finished flavour is like chalk and cheese when it comes to the toffee flavour when comparing it to the RF version, I thought.

I see from the replies, some mixers can get the RF Butter Toffee to work for them at the %'s I was working at, so I think I will put this down to my tastebuds struggling with this flavour maybe?

I do like my toffee vapes (Hangsens being my favourite) and I prefer the ones that have the dark sugars and molasses notes coming through along with the caramel in the background, rather than the overly sweet or as I found with this RF toffee an overall weak finished flavour for myself.

4 Likes

I was hoping for better with the RFSC Butter Toffee as well but I still havenā€™t found a Toffee I really like, the only others I have is Hangsen and OoO. The RFSC Caramel isnā€™t going to replace my favorite anytime soon, just too weak for me.

I did just mix up this recipe using the VG versions though and the finger taste is promising:

I did add 0.50% RFSC Marshmallow to sweeten it up a bit. Going to give it a week before dripping some, just mixed it yesterday.

Not planning on using many RFSC as SF except maybe Paczki but even that might need a bakery note to balance it out a bit. They have been working well in mixes though, just like every other brand there are hits and misses but overall I like the line and they will get used.

4 Likes

I like Caramel Toffee by Hangsen a lot. Just tasting it on my finger, it is definitely creamy tasting.
But Iā€™m actually replying to sayā€¦ Have you tried adding just a hint of Cola or Cola Syrup to make your molasses notes. Iā€™ve played around a bunch in that area experimenting with apple juice because I donā€™t use cinnamon in my ADV Apple mix. If you are adding molasses, try just a drop or so of cola man.

5 Likes

You know I have been thoroughly enjoying Walts new SC line so much. I decided to go outside of my comfort zone & took advantage of this past Weekends Sale Event. So I am kind of excited to try these new to me flavor concentrates.
Strawberry Lemonade (SC)
Tropical Punch (SC)
Masala Chai (SC)
Blueberry Lemonade Slushie (SC)
As well as these flavorings I am familiar with but not from Real Flavors
Lemon Cookie (SC)
Cake Batter (SC)
Paczki (SC)
Fruit Pebbles (SC) <<<< I am really hoping this works out well, because I have not truly enjoyed others.

8 Likes

Lemon cookie seems to be a winner at 3-4%-ish as a standalone. I have a 30ml bottle that I tried a few weeks ago at 2% and it was weak, but bumped to 3%, the lemon flavour is emerging. I am going to load up a full tank with it tonight as it is a month old and should be close/ready to vape.

I mixed up a bottle of paczki @ 2% a few days ago. Havenā€™t tried it yet, but it smells promising at least.

7 Likes

The flavor fade some are experiencing, Walt mentioned earlier what the flavorings were made of:

It is very rarely PG, if it is, it is a very small amount (under 1%). I think that is only in 2 flavors as well.

The liquid you see is a mix of VG, PDO, or a different carrier like distilled water. (with the 3% alc in that), that is what Alcohol base is. We are working on getting the specific gravity listed on ALL flavors soon

Perhaps this is a part of it or maybe, as @woftam suggested, some might be using them at too high a %, not everyone of course. But many people have found flavoring masking when using PDO with certain flavorings.

I have had this issue with very few of the flavorings, i mixed the flavorings at a bit higher % than some as i expected there to be fade with long term curing considering that they are partially alcohol based. Maybe this was/is the wrong line of thought as the total amount of flavorants would be the same after the alcohol evaps.

Still a lot of work to be done in testing these.

11 Likes

That was kind of my thoughts as well.(the PDO) Walt has also mentioned EM being used and that is another possibility or a combination of both.

The 2 flavors so far that I have experienced some fading with seem to be holding up very well with a slightly higher % so we shall see in about another week or so.

4 Likes

That was a huge problem for me with the PDO. Great flavor for a week or 2. I was so excited to not have to steep. But after 2 weeks I couldnā€™t get it to hold on to flavor. Experimented for a few monthsā€¦still have PDO here. Just not for me. I think you may be on to something. The flavor fade and timing reminds me of the PDO exactly!

6 Likes

So with PDO, decrease or increase flavor percentage? Or are the flavors just going to be hard to work with?

4 Likes

Iā€™m glad you asked that. I was a tad confused too

4 Likes

I have a few other notes to write up but @Lolly asked about Strawberry Gelato!

After about 12 days itā€™s a very nice Strawberry, smoother and more mellow than the regular strawberry flavor, not artificial but not quite as realistic. Iā€™m not getting a creamy flavor as much as I remember with real Italian Gelato. Maybe this will develop in time but I wanted to let you know that I had tested it, lol. If it doesnā€™t change after a while, itā€™s still a really nice flavor that can be tweaked with a little extra something to add the creamier notes.

EDIT~ Forgot to mention I mixed it @2% .

3 Likes

I had already suggested the PDO was not playing nice in the RF SCs :frowning: now Ken o where gets the credit lol

6 Likes

I just dripped some of my month long steeped Paczki at 2.5% and it is a winner for me. Not a lot of pastry notes to it though, might add a little glazed doughnut to it. Lots of flavor at 2.5% which I like, that is the winning % for me.

I wish I could drip some more of my Fruit Pebbles I mixed at 3% a month ago but I polished off my tester about 2 weeks ago. Not as strong a flavor as Paczki but I enjoyed it enough to finish it off. 3% seemed good but will probably try at 3.5% on my next mix of it. Fruit Pebbles had a nice fruity cereal taste to it which was more balanced than Paczki, I could taste the cereal as much as the fruit.

8 Likes

Thanks for the insight :+1:
I will definitely take your recommendations on percentile of mix for both these flavors. As well as the tip on adding Glazed Doughnut into consideration

3 Likes

Ooooops. That damn Ken :smirk:

@mixologist13 Thank you for reminding me about the PDO. That correlation is very interesting and I hadnā€™t thought of that before. Thank you :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

I actually edited my original post that claimed PDO was an issue so Ken O where for the win lol. Doing my best to remain a humble mixer :wink: Anyhow i do remember Walt mentioning that some highly sought after e liquids contained a total % of 3-4%. Perhaps lowering the %s is the way to go with the RF SCs. I remade my Rice crispy and dropped the RF to 0.8% and instead of dominating the mix
(like it did at 2.5%) it blended in adding a few notes and bolstering others. Perhaps we are all too caught up in SF testing and as a result are in fact using to muchā€¦

7 Likes