Real Flavors Super Concentrates Tasting Notes (Part 1)

I have mixed up about a dozen single flavour testers at 2-3%. I expect some of them will be really good as stand alones but the fun will really start (for me anyways) when I start playing mad scientist and adding to my SF ejuices.

I expect many of the ones I have mixed will need a bit of fruit, cream/custard or cake/pastry/donut, but I am looking forward to trying different blends.

I wish I found RF SC’s earlier as I have only had them just over a month!

5 Likes

That could very well be also. My sweet spot for SF on the black label FV is 1%. So if I’m getting a nice strong flavor stand alone at that percentage, could very well be. I might mix up a Butterfinger at 1% to compare to the 3% original mix and see if it fades the same…hmmmm

3 Likes

Thank you lovely :smiley:

3 Likes

This is the last of my 10 bottles I bought, that I have left to review. It is Peanut butter steeped for over 4 weeks @ 2% and 2.5% (this was the best % for me of the 2) Overall I thought this was a good Peanut Butter flavour with the right amount of sweetness with the butter and nuts. Sweet peanut flavour was nice and distinctive in the mix with a good buttery note to the finished flavour. Definitely 1 of the better flavours from the 10 flavours I tried overall for me.

8 Likes

Good to hear, I am not touching TPA’s peanut butter because it has diketones and Flavorahs peanut butter should just be renamed. It taste like straight peanuts!

2 Likes

@TheTinMan1 I held off getting the Sangria, I didn’t know if I would really use it or not… let me know how it is when ya play with it if you will.

2 Likes

I sent Miss Hobbit a PM yesterday. Going to do a few mixes tonight. Probably a stand alone and use some of her ideas to add some fruits to the wine like flavor.

I will let you know tomorrow eveing with a 24 hour steep and then test again in 2 weeks.

2 Likes

thx I was thinking it might be good as background notes to a fruit or berries mix but didn’t know if I would really use it.

2 Likes

I bought 8 or 9 Real Flavors SC’s after reading so many positive things. I mixed up a few things tonight and off of two of them, I’m getting a very funky taste. Their are two common flavors. Brown Sugar (SC) and Condensed Milk (SC). In one recipe, they were mixed at 1.0% and 0.5%. The other recipe they were switched (0.5% and 1.0%). Are these two flavors that need a heavy steep time? I’m thinking its the Brown Sugar (SC) but I could be wrong.

3 Likes

Condensed milk is very strong and it steeps stronger. brown sugar is also quite strong so you may find both mixes are dominated by the 1% - not sure about the funky taste as i don’t get that but dropping them down some may be the answer. they do both require a minimum of a week but better at 2.

Hope that helps

4 Likes

Thanks @woftam. I’m gonna let it steep for a couple weeks and recheck it. Will try lower %'s if it still is funky after steep.

4 Likes

For my personal taste I couldnt understand Condensed Milk at all. Where is milk? If no milk, so what is condensed then? :smile: Havent found any useful cream or milky flavor from RF. Anybody?

3 Likes

What? I’m not understanding what you mean? I haven’t tried the SC version yet, but the VG version is on point for Borden’s brand.

3 Likes

Absolutely, in a couple mixes .5% over powered all of the subtle notes. Not as sweet at the VG version, which i prefer and thank you for that @MysticRose. :slight_smile:

I dont disagree, many of the creams need support so i have been going with low %s of Italian Cream (Hangsen). This is the future of flavorings tho, all the things that gave our creams body and depth are being left out, except by FLV it seems.

With that said i do like many of the creams from RF, they just need a little help.

8 Likes

I’m really starting to think that I fucked up when mixing/blending some of my testers. All I have written down for condensed milk is that it was so faint that I could hardly taste anything (At 2%). I just mixed it again and made sure to give it a good shake up this time. I really hope that’s what the problem is.

5 Likes

I’ve remixed all of mine (apart from baked bread) at 3% and am steeping them for a month to see how they go. Initially I think I mixed them all between 1 & 2% and the flavour was there, but only faintly, for quite a few of them.

8 Likes

I redid quite a few of mine at 3% to 3.5% as well, just to see how the work out. My first batch was all steeped for 4 weeks and had the same results as you.
I know everyone has different tastes but I’m finding it had to get my head around the difference in strength people are experiencing. How did you find the ones you got direct from Real Flavours?.

6 Likes

These are the ones I’ve remixed, along with a couple of new ones from Rainbow that I haven’t tested before :+1:

I think once we roughly nail the %'s and how they’re playing with other flavours it will be much easier…that’s just gonna take a long time and a lot of input from us all. :grin:

9 Likes

Could be that our taste buds are bollex’d from too many curries lol. I agree that it’ll get easier after a bit more time. I still rate them as better than the cap and tpa flavours I have though, plus they’re cheaper than cap.

6 Likes

If i remember right i mixed the VG pretty low too, somewhere around 1-1.5%. This is quite a bit different tho, taste wise.

When i think of recipes that i have eaten with condensed milk it was never a main note, with the exception of one dessert my mother makes.

Here are some of the recent mixes i have used it in:

Hope that helps a bit.

6 Likes