Real Flavors Super Concentrates Tasting Notes (Part 1)

Baja Soda was very lackluster at 1.5% so I bumped it up to 2% and it seemed to shine, even less. So I bumped it down to 1% and it is starting to taste better.
I think that this is definitely one of their more concentrated flavors. Will have to see how it tastes after longer, as it has only been a week.

Lemonade I have used at 2, 3, and 4%, to no avail. I have bumped my latest mix down to 1.5% and even after a week, find it to be very weak, almost flavorless. Perhaps I should bump it even lower after my discoveries with the Baja?

Blue Raspberry I used at 2 and 3%, once again to find little/ no flavor. Using my latest batch at 1.5%, it tasted fairly blue-raspberry-like. Might have to lower even more? IDK, in my opinion, blue raspberry is a flavor that should come across clear as day, no matter the flavor manufacturer, maybe this just is not RF best flavor? I hate to say that, as their flavors very rarely disappoint, but once again, I will have to try a lower %.

Would love to hear others’ opinions on these particular flavors

Despite many opinions, I have been finding that these flavors are very potent. They can become slightly harsh and mute after using even just 0.5% too much. This creates a very small window in which to work with, but does allow for stretching these flavors out, quite a bit.

Pink Burst Candy is tasting really good at 1.5% after a week and is not muting as my previous 2% batch was. Will try a 1% mix after I vape through this batch to see if it doesn’t just happen to taste stronger/ better. Mostly as an experiment as I find the 1.5% batch pleasant on it’s own, maybe adding some sweetener to thicken up the taste/ add mouth-feel in the form of sweetness on the lips.

I have the Yellow, Red, and Orange Burst Candy arriving in a couple of days and am very eager to get my hands on them.

UPDATE: Further down in thread, I have more accurate percentages.

6 Likes

Hmm…after reading some more of the posts here it would seem that some of the SC flavors need to be re-labeled as just regular, plain ol’ flavor concentrate or something to that affect. Especially if people like myself are misled by the “SC” part by assuming it is indeed super concentrated. Some are clearly not.

4 Likes

I think this is a major important point. I’ve actually used quite a few of the SCs as food flavoring and I can tell you that 1% cooking/ baking/food-flavoring has been WAAAAY more than enough. A tiny drizzle (probably around .3g) of apple pie SC was enough to overflavor a half cup of heavy whipping cream which I think comes out to somewhere around .25%. In ejuice I’m liking it closer to 3-4% in a mix. So when I’m doing single flavor testing, I don’t pay attention to the % on the bottle because I assume it’s based on usage in food.

11 Likes

I wonder if it is because heat is coming into play. I know there are flavors by naturesflavors that are made for vaping and are labeled as heat resistant. Perhaps heating them up is affecting them in such a manner.

2 Likes

This was my thought when reading your post. I know you have mentioned vaping 130+ watts and 6.7volts or something. Perhaps these flavors cannot stand up to extreme conditions. I vape 65-85watts and have had problems with muting as a result of steeping but never has muting occured mid vape sesh lol. I tend to agree with vape mama that 3.5-4% is an ideal range for many of the RF SC line. There are of course exceptions (cheesecake,baked bread etc )

5 Likes

I agree with you on the percents. I vape all my juice at 100 - 140 watts but in TC SS mode and have no complaints with RF SC when making recipes at 3.5%. I do plan to eventually try some side by side recipes (not single flavors) at 3.5, 5, and 7% to see if I may have been mixing them too low so far to see if I might enjoy them more at higher percents.

2 Likes

Possibly, although I’ve used the SCs in baked goods and in unheated foods and i still get a very strong flavor. For instance, I like using vanilla custard in place of’ vanilla extract and I usually use about 1/2 of however much vanilla is called for.

5 Likes

The SB SC tested perfectly as a solo flavor, but I’ve come to find it goes flat over time when mixed with creams and stronger flavors. As you can see from my early tasting notes I really thought this would be the one, but it is failing miserably. I’m starting to wonder if RF changed something in this formula because when I 1st purchased the 30ml bottle, it was labeled as a Raw Extract. After I bought a 120ml bottle it was labeled a Super Concentrate and it’s not performing the same as the 30ml Raw Extract I initially purchased.

I could be wrong tho… YMMV, but I’m not digging this flavor anymore.

4 Likes

I have asked around before if RF SC are extracts or flavorings to no avail. It is my assumption that they are man-made flavors but if they are extracts I would be pleasantly surprised. Though as I type this, I have my doubts…

4 Likes

@Walt_RealFlavors did answer it in a thread but i cannot recall what the answer was and i cannot find the thread - there is a reason the kids call me Dory sometimes.

Found it

11 Likes

Before the change over from VG to SC, all flavors were really raw extracts. Now that all the the VG blends are sold as SC, there are some “flavors” that are not extracts but are still man made with all natural ingredients.

This is one of the reasons we stopped calling them raw extracts as well. For example, Lime is a cold press extract from real limes, while flavors like Stuffed French Toast is a combo of extracts and WONF (with other natural “flavors”)

(Sorry it took me so long to see this.)

12 Likes

Thanks for the clarification Walt. When it comes to the sweetness of a (SC) fruit concentrate for example.Does the finished flavour of the reaL extract versions you do, consist of just the real natural sugars of the real fruit (like Medicine Flower do) or a sweetener substitute like most of the other manufacturers ie TPA or Capella etc I am only asking because they don’t seem to taste of natural sugars to me tbh.

There is a very distinct difference when you compare MF to anyone else. Synthetic or Natural flavours are very close almost identical in taste to extracts, including yours, it is the Natural Sugars that is the difference for me, and from the few flavours I have tried from your range so far. The Super Concentrates seem to be more similar to FA or Inawera in the fact they work at low %'s to produce a strong finished flavour. But I have yet to find one that competes or tastes as a real 100% extract because of the sugars/sweetener difference. But you do seem to use the term extracts in your reply, which still confuses me slightly.

I realise it maybe me getting confused with terminology, but being a big fan of MF I know the difference in taste to an extract to a Natural Flavour/synthetic flavour.

6 Likes

Because vaping sugars could lead to issues, or as i have been told in the past by larger customers, it may cause coils to junk up. We try our best to remove the natural sugars and replace them with a substitute or nothing at all and let you use your own sweeteners.

This is done to create a better vape friendly flavor.

8 Likes

That’s a shame :cry: you go through the natural extract process and remove or replace the natural sugars Only speaking for me, but these type of concentrates produce a so much better finished flavour than any other concentrate on the market at the moment.

I realise your larger customers are the lifeblood of your business and you need to work with what they want and tell you. Maybe in the future you could think about bringing a boutique line of real 100% ‘Natural Extracts’ directly yourselves. There may well be a market in the DIY mixers for this type of concentrates. That you haven’t tapped into yet? especially at the competitive prices you already sell at and for a process that you already seem to be doing but adding a step or two more in, that wouldn’t be needed for this type of flavour creation?.

7 Likes

This is wonderful to hear! I feel much more confident as well as safe knowing they are mostly extracts.

As always, thanks for being ever-present in this community, Walt!

Getting the rest of the Burst Candy flavors in the mail today, very excited to play around with them!

Also getting Orange Cream, Sweet Potato Pie, Sour Gummy, Pineapple, and Red/White/Blue Popsicle in today for anyone curious.

5 Likes

Very interesting, I stayed away from the V2 as people said they did not like it. I didn’t buy the V1 as it had diketones (Acetyl Propionyl and Acetoin), and I usually try to go 100% free of them, for my personal use.

I pop my head in on the Super Concentrates VG thread every once in a while to see if I can pull any information that is being passed around. Apparently, the difference in the V1 vs the V2 is the cinnamon.

Walt said that some people swear by the cinnamon in V1, while others enjoy the cinnamon that is in V2. To each their own and your post gives me more faith in trying the V2 (even with the off note that you detect).

Guess I have another cart going, lol.

3 Likes

So I made a Blueberry Pancake with 1.5% RF Pancake SC and 2% TFA Blueberry Extra. It was really good after a 3-4 day steep and continued to develop nicely for the next week. It has been 2 weeks now and I am getting a strange slightly bitter aftertaste. It reminds me of the earthy spice that I get from Quaker Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal. It’s not terrible but not exactly pleasant either.

Has anyone experienced this?

2 Likes

Has anyone had any luck with Rice Pudding? It smells awesome from the bottle and day one after mixed. Day 2 and on flavor is almost non existent. Mixed at 3.5% I had high hopes for this after opening the bottle and smelling it.

1 Like

I haven’t experienced that yet, but have not gone through 1/3 of my testers yet. Only thing I picked up on was the “clove-ish” taste to the FT v.2.

1 Like

Mines still steaming towards the 2 week deadline, no vaping yet.

1 Like