Real Flavors Super Concentrates Tasting Notes (Part 1)

I am also one of the ones that let all my stuff sit for 4 weeks or more before vaping.

I also do not think of many of the RF flavors as traditional Single Flavor mixes. To me most of the ones I am currently testing are more like a one shot recipe made like you would make any other mix using other companies flavors to taste like what you want.

Example: Butterfinger Type RF SC BETA I would not truly classify as a single flavor so I treat it just like I mixed it using multiple single flavors combined to get the results I want…

9 Likes

Why ??? and im just wondering … but what makes RFSC flavors any different than any other manufacturer where their flavors should be treated like a one shot concentrate am i missing how their Blueberry Muffin is any different than FLAVORAH blueberry muffin , or is that just how you see it ??? i only ask because i dont understand and im sure this could confuse someone who reads this and not more of the thread ??? please dont take this the wrong way its your opinion and your choice im just trying to understand why

3 Likes

That is how I see it also, it’s a flavor… like Strawberry, you can vape it on it’s own but you can add other things to it to make it more of a Strawberry that comes across as you would like it, point being is the “you” in that sentence, all of us you’s taste things differently. For some that Butterfinger type might just be right up their alley, for others, they might add a bit of this or that… then it’s a Butterfinger, still others might taste it and say they would never vape it as a standalone, but it might be a great base for something else.
In the same boat, one person may like it right after mixing and another might say it needs to mellow out for a month prior to vaping. There are no rights or wrongs (well there are a few, I never boil anything)… but seeing and reading how others have treated their flavorings and how they have applied them in different ways, at least to me, is insightful. I own a number of cookbooks, and I look a variations of the same type recipe (and look online at recipes) prior to cooking quite often. Drives my wife batty…

4 Likes

OK I guess I can start adding to this.
Made 10ml testers on 4.21.17

Strawberries and Cream (SC) + Amaretto (CAP) @2.5%/5% Almost exactly the favor I was going for after a few days. May need some additional Strawberry and cream

Beavertail @ 2.5%… tasted a bit today… made a 60ml bottle there after. The fruits are coming out now, this is going to be a good one!

Black Raspberry @ 2.5% Almost floral, need to make a 2nd tester to be sure

Apple Pie: @ 2.5% & 5%. Like most have said not strong on the crust but I do get it depending on the atty. Had to make a shake and vape batch. This scales up pretty well with out going sideways on the flavor.

7 Likes

Was there any “large” difference you noticed between the 2.5% and the 5% of the Apple Pie?

2 Likes

For me the jury is still out. I love what you did with the strawberry RF. But the oranges and kiwi are coming up short for me. Watermellon is good’ish (better than the oranges)…but still testing.

Overall I am really wondering, as a few others, this whole 2-2.5% recomendation. So in theory I increased my percentage use of kiwi and in a separate mix watermellon. Over the 2.5%.

5 Likes

I’ve been following this thread since it’s inception and I’m still very confused as to what’s great (the best you ever had) and what isn’t. I hope at some point all this testing will end in some solid flavor recommendations. So far I’m seeing most of these need flavor increases/decreases or they need more testing. I’ve never seen this much confusion about a flavor line before.

10 Likes

id buy again list

yumberry
coconut
Strawberry Milkshake
Milk
Vanilla Custard
root beer ( both )
cream
strawberry
pancake ( i could live without it , but its interesting enough )

would not buy again

cinnamon toast
raspberry
french toast V2
silly rabbit
fruit circles
blueberry muffin
mixed berries
pumpkin pie

this is just my opinion btw the Vanilla Custard was surprising being diketone free

i have another 20 that need to be tested but cant vape bc sore throat hope this helps

NOTE : the french toast V2 is good except the funny taste other have also tasted in V2 products this makes me want to buy the V1 because that taste is supposed to not be in the V1 if this makes any sense at all lol ( it barely makes sense to me )

** i have only tried these in SF form

6 Likes

I agree, it’s a shame. we are all here to help each other, and although maybe disappointing to Walt, it’s a service to him as well. He doesn’t want to be know for having bad flavors. I have mentioned before some of my negative opinions, and didn’t feel attacked. Sure, I sympathized with Walt as I know he takes pride in his product, but I also consider it as respecting him and his commitment to his product as well as his desire to improve and succeed.

I have mentioned before that some of these flavors take a huge learning curve to work with. Some are amazing and just makes me say Wow! But there are also a lot that fade or become flavorless after a 4 week steep. Sometimes after a 2 week. Do I keep testing those? No, I just count them as money lost and move on, I have too many other good flavors to use and/or try that doesn’t require 2 months of finesse to be able to work with.

I don’t feel anyone should be jumped on for having a constructive negative note. And I will ignore or tell them to hush if they are being trolls instead of help. But I am quoting just a few of my negative comments that I have made and not gotten attacked for. Please please everyone, all opinions count, this is not a fan club or an advertisement for RF. This is a discussion by DIY’ers on flavors where we can come together and bounce feedback and what we learn off each other. Does the owner of RF stop in and interact…yes. Is that a good thing, yes, it shows he cares.

But if he couldn’t handle or value criticism or want to hear honesty, he wouldn’t stop in, guaranteed!

One that I have tried to make work repeatedly is the Cream Soda. It has been so inconsistent. The first one I bought was VG and I fell in lust. Then I restocked and the next one was flavorless. No matter how long or short it steeped. Then a friend sent me a 10ml of the SC version, and while a bit stronger mixed at 3%, so far it is still too weak. I still have to try a higher percentage. But, a very disappointed chase to try to find the amazing flavor of that first one I had.

My biggest, overall pet peeve across the board is flavor fade on the SC’s. It’s affecting a minimum of 50% of those I have tried. And for the VG versions, my biggest pet peeve is the overall weakness and long steep times. However, there are some real gems that I will continue to buy, use, and steep. Even if I have to use 15-20%, they are worth it for me…i.e. bread pudding and cinnamon custard I’m talking about you :heart_eyes:

and this one wasn’t even constructive…I just blurted it out there…oooops :relaxed:

[quote=“MysticRose, post:1463, topic:92474”]
Has anyone had any luck with Rice Pudding? It smells awesome from the bottle and day one after mixed. Day 2 and on flavor is almost non existent. Mixed at 3.5%

No, it’s just a mostly generic sweetness to me as well. If I’m trying really hard to taste it, and exhale through nose and do the tasting mouth I can almost get a slight hint of starch/rice. But not much. It needs rice, butter, cream, cinnamon, and raisins and it would be a perfect rice pudding :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Me still so sad! Waited a long time for this one :frowning: Guess I’m going to have to break down and try that “other” brand[/quote]

Anyway, my long and winding point is, this is a forum for mixers. And as much as I value having some fantastic vendors being a part of our group, I will still continue to be honest, and beg you all to be as well. I read these threads because I value and learn from everyone’s opinion. It does none of us any good if we only discuss positives. We all learn mostly by trial and error, and that includes Walt. Stop worrying about kissing ass and start worrying about all us fellow mixers :wink:

10 Likes

If you enjoy a nice ripe Cantaloupe then Melon Melody is very good and looks to be a good flavor for other fruit mixes.
Blood Orange also seems to be a good ingredient.
Coconut for me is nice (I can’t use Coconut extra, it just kills things for me)
As for items I can see as a single flavor I like the VG version of Bread Pudding (I mix it with a Creamstone, but still keeping it a Bread Pudding), I have both the SC versions (V1 and V2) sitting a bit prior to trying them out so can’t really state I like them as of yet, I really do like the VG version though but I had to use 11% of it to make the recipe work right.
Additionally I just mixed a RF version of Bust a Nut and the Hazelnut in it seems to work very nicely so it will most likely be repurchased. There are a few things like the Paczki and Yumberry that can be used as a foreseeable base fruit mix (as Harvest berry and Forest mix does)… but I don’t know what a yumberry is so I place it with a berry fruit mix flavor.

5 Likes

the rf sc hazelnut I am testing is glorious after just a day or two steeping, can’t wait until I have time and the bottles to mix up a rf sc BAN mix as posted and at a lower percent to compare. Luckily I still have about 13ml of FW Butter Pecan to use for those testers/batches but eventually I will have to replace it with butter toffee or something else until the butter pecan hits the rf sc line.

6 Likes

My 50ml batch of BAN took only 2ml of Butter Pecan FW.

3 Likes

Purilum Butter Pecan is amazing, if you need something while waiting :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Not really, I could taste the cinnamon/spice more. I’m going to play with it some more and have a little better detailed notes on the flavor scaling… but it is really good and I’m picky about my apple vapes

2 Likes

@fidalgo_vapes I thought my statement as quoted above was pretty clear so not sure why you are confused by what I said. I was speaking of my own experience so far with my testing of the few flavors I have already tested beyond the 4 week point and none of them have been flavors like Strawberry, Apple, Kiwi etc. all of which I would classify as a single flavor.

I can be an opinionated asshole at times but that has not been my intent at all and you can rest assured if I come across a flavor that is disgusting to me after fully testing and trying to figure out what works I will also post about that.

I think everyone should be sharing the good and the bad but I also believe you need to experiment a little beyond 24hrs or even 2 weeks before final judgment.

4 Likes

i dont care if you could be an asshole , if it was clear to me i wouldnt have asked , so i must have missed something , i did not understand that you havent tested any single flavors like strawberry , yumberry , blackberry etc i now understand what you are saying which is you have tested things like say blueberry muffin , strawberry milkshake etc flavors that replicate a real one shot concentrate , i Ass umed that you were saying all of RFSC flavors are more like one shots which would include individual / single fruits or creams like the ones we have already given as an example , hopefully you get where i was confused , that is why i stressed so much in my post i was unsure /confused/ misunderstood which ever way one wants to put it , to sum it @wvsanta i was simply asking a question which had nothing to do with weather or not you could be an asshole or however you took , just to let you know maybe for the future if you care or not i. not sure but if im trying to be a dick or belittle someone or question what they are saying it will be obvious thank you for the response i think i get what you were saying now and didnt notice the example of butterfinger or whatever it was called

1 Like

I am with you, I feel that orange is not RF’s strong suit, whether it is orange burst candy or orange cream, I just cannot detect much orange flavor. I have turned them both up and down in % and no luck.

I have heard good things about Blood Orange, however. Were you using just the regular orange?

@Walt_RealFlavors
Sent you a PM a while back, hope you reply!

2 Likes

I’ve tried orange and blood orange. Neither pop as compared to strawberry. I’m going to retest at higher percentages but for now their going to sit unmixed…I had other vapes in the works that needed mixing that I was excited about.

That and I’m oranged out since I flavor tested a bunch of other oranges. Nothing like single flavor testing oranges from cap FA RF mf and FW. Uggg.

4 Likes

I agree with you guys both there on the Orange Burst Candy. I’ve tested the Orange Burst recently, picking it up because orange and pink are my favorites of the candy and the Pink Burst is a great strong flavor.

The Pink Burst works perfect for me at 2 or 4%, both % very flavorful, but the Orange Burst at 2 or 4% is barely flavored at all, and citrus is doesn’t really ever need a steep. Of course, the creamy/sweeter parts of the overall flavor profile here will improve a little as it steeps, but the orange aspect itself is citrus and I know that isn’t going to increase with a steep so the Orange Burst to me is nothing in comparison to the Pink Burst flavor-profile or strength-wise.

Orange Burst is a big let down coming from enjoying the pink so well :frowning:

Hope @Walt_RealFlavors can revise this version! Now, I hear great things about the yellow Burst, will be trying it next and hopefully it’s better and more like the pink’s overall flavor profile! :+1:

Bring on the butter pecan! :+1: :yum:

4 Likes

Exactly, the pink burst is an INCREDIBLY powerful flavor.

3 Likes