Real Flavors Super Concentrates Tasting Notes (Part 1)

I was really hoping it was because I applied some heat to mix up my samples because I can honestly say that the flavour, albeit weak in some, was really good in all of them. As of right now I’m extremely disappointed in every one of the fruits I got because the flavour took a nose dive off a cliff. This was from mixes at 2% so I’ll probably try them again at a higher percentage.
And before anyone starts telling me reasons why they taste weak to me, like them being made primarily for the food industry, 1 - 2.5% is a guide only, taste is subjective etc… I’m well aware of all this. But, I think it’s important for newer mixers like myself to know that these low percentages don’t work for everyone.

8 Likes

i made a strawberry cheesecake last night , just something im playing with i used the strawberry milkshake and regular strawberry , SM at 3 and strawberry at 1 pct seems high but t know the mix will have to steep awhile im hoping at the higher percents the strawberries will be just perfect once the other flavors all develop i did try it right after and the strawberry combo was strong but tasted freaking great couldnt taste much of anything else except a little graham cracker

3 Likes

3% is where I’m heading with it so good to know! @Walt_RealFlavors said there’s a teeeeeny bit of almond - @bluenose63 clearly has a very refined palate :grin:

3 Likes

I should’ve also mention that Rice Crispy Treat is one that got better for me.

3 Likes

I haven’t been able to keep up with thread! I see something to reply to, and then there are a hundred more posts. Sooo… I’m just going to throw out a few thoughts, take them leave them. :wink:

Strawberry: I have not had this long enough to comment on flavor fading or extended steeping. But I’ve found that at 3% in mixes it is beautiful if you want a shake and vape! I might regret that % after more time, we’ll see. I’ll be sure to post an update.

Boysenberry, yumberry, champagne, apple: as single flavors at 2.25% they really did nothing for me. They were very faint as SNVs and I wasn’t impressed with long steeps (tested over the course of a few months). I haven’t gotten around to testing them at higher %s yet, but if you’re wanting SAs I would recommend starting a little higher. Having said that, I like strong ejuice. I have a tough time tasting light flavors by themselves. So if you’re more sensitive to mild flavors just ignore me. :wink:

1.5-2% Apple in mixes with other apples adds a really nice brightness, light tartness, and another layer to the other apple flavors. I think this is just ever so slightly more candy-like than fa fuji.

Condensed milk: crazy strong. I have not tested this as a SA yet but I’ve replaced various creams in other recipes with it at .25-.5% and I think .25% is going to be my high limit. It tastes a bit dry to me and I like tpa or purilum MM with it to round it out and sweeten it up.

I have more that I’ll add when I get the chance… Gotta run the kids to Target. :grin:

8 Likes

This may be part of the problem you are experiencing. I remember vaping pen devices with high ohms 1.5-1.8 and always struggled to taste the E liquid. As devices improved higher wattages were available, more heat was produced coupled with better airflow and i noticed a substantial increase in flavor. I vape dual twisted titanium at 0.07 ohms or dual kanthal claptons (0.15-.3ohms) at 65-80watts and 70-85joules in TC mode. The flavor is always there and strong yes even with RF SCs using anywhere from 2.5-4%. I do not vape SF only when testing. I think the expectation that RFs are one shots or should be dynamite as standalones is unreasonable as most brands offer little in the way of standalones

2 Likes

Thanks, bu no that’s not it at all! I use tanks like Kayfun v3, and have for years, no problems with flavors. And no problems with other RF flavors either at the usually reported 1-2-3-4% etc depending on the flavor, only the few we were discussing (lemonade/Orange Burst) are near flavorless even at 4%. Going to test 6-8-10% soon, but it’s not ideal at the price-point

More heat to me is terrible, too hot and causes less of flavor is all I’ve ever noted from trying that.
I did use 1.2-1.4ohms for a while, but it’s not as enjoyable to me. I have also tested a few devices using TC and 0.6-0.8ohms, all the same to me… terrible from many angles.

2 Likes

Come on now! I have read all sorts on here now like they should be classed as one shots, they arent working due to set up, the percentages used are too high and muting the flavours, the percentages are too low and they are made for the food industry so the 1-2.5% shouldnt be taken seriously, there is fade so should be shake n vape, nobody should judge them until steeped for four weeks.
This is the VG thread all over again, why arae these concentrates being given so much more leeway for any poor results than other vendors concentrates? They ARE single flavour concentrates just like Capella strawberries and cream is, we all know set ups effect taste but if someones set up is working with other concentrates and not with RF…you dont blame the set up, the only UK vendor I know stocking these is rebottling them and they are labelled as 1-2.5% as that is how they have been marketed, if they are not to be used at 1-2.5% that SHOULD be taken seriously at is misinformation.
I am not wishing to be over critical of Real Flavors, I find them like for example Liquid Barn, there flavours like pacific cooler, sweet pipe tobacco and other I tried I got very little flavour from at all but at the same time I love there belgium waffle and vanilla ice cream. I have found the same with Real Flavors, I havent been that impressed with the majority of them but there are still some I do really like. I am however in total disagreement with many of the reasons I am reading why some peoples mix of a SINGLE flavour is supposedly not working for them according to somebody else.

4 Likes

Ok I guess for now I only have two more for now.

Paczki: Bright raspberry filling with a little bit of donut. This needs supporting flavors for the dough part but I’m perfectly happy using this as the filling part. 2.25% was perfect for me.

Apple pie: 4% works as a standalone, but at 3% with 1% apple sc and 1% cap sugar cookie I found a base that I really like. I’ll probably build up the crust some more in my next batch with some biscuit, and maybe a little amber to cook the extra apple.

8 Likes

How long did you let these steep? A lot people are saying they’re S&V but I’m trying to restrain myself at least a week with the bakery flavors.

1 Like

What percentage did you mix your Purilum Butter Pecan? I mixed at 3.5% and it was very blahhh to me.

2 Likes

I started testing them right away but I let them steep for almost a month.

2 Likes

Thanks! I might test a few of them this week, I know my son will probably vape all the samples I gave him in the next few days but I’ve been trying to let them develop since they’re more complex than fruits.

3 Likes

While I do understand your point, I look at it as for what their original intended purpose is, they are food additives and not vaping additives, we as vapers are using these food additives to vape with. The percentage that is printed on the bottles packaging are designed for the intended use of these products which is for food, not vapor.

5 Likes

I made that mix (22/3) but dropped the sb down to 1.5 changed the vanilla mf to premium fv rf and dropped the custard to 4 while it is a little different it will give us a good indicator on the sb. I will dig it out today and taste it

3 Likes

That’s exactly the type of thing I was talking about earlier. We use 18650 batteries that weren’t originally intended for vaping devices. We use Kanthal and SS316 wire that wasn’t originally intended to be used in vaping. We can all comment on the pros and cons of various batteries and resistance wires though, so why does there have to be excuses made if some people don’t find these concentrates as potent as others do. I was reading this thread for months and most of the notes were talking about how strong they were at low percentages and I didn’t see anyone offering up reason why that was the case. Maybe the planets were aligned just right at that moment or the gravitation force of the moon excited the molecules of the mix to make them super strong. This isn’t a cooking forum so what they’re originally intended for is irrelevant. I’m sure I could mix some up at 1.5% and use them as eye drops and they’d be seriously strong, but I don’t intend doing that with them either. If it’s okay for people to say they’re really potent at 1% then it’s just as acceptable for some of us to say that for us they’re not.

11 Likes

Totally agree, I just keep seeing people hung up on the percentage things on the bottles. If SB at 3% is good for me and not for someone else… hey, that is what diy is all about.

9 Likes

I’m so confused I don’t know where to start! I’m not a big steeper. I usually like to vape my juice between 2 weeks and 60 days. If it’s more then 2 months old it goes into a bag to be given away to my cousin. If it’s something like chocolate that I know she doesn’t like it goes in the trash. I personally don’t like to vape juice more then 60 days old. I feel that the 2 week mark it’s at its prime and after that it seems to be degrading (probably not the best word to use but u know what I mean). Like any other company u think RF has its gems and ones that I will probably never buy again as well. I know I have a few recipes that I’ve been vaping the heck out of. It’s mimosa sunset and the recipe is 5% flavoring and it’s all RF except the pineapple which is flv at 0.6%. I don’t think this recipe needs more or less of anything that’s in it. I’ve never tried it past the 60 day mark. I can tell u I still have about 10ml left from a month ago and it still taste almost the same as it did when I first mixed it. The flavors have come together a little better and it might be a little less harsh (champagne is a little harsh and boozy at first but I like it like that). I can still taste the orange, cherry, pineapple (flv) and lemonade in it as well. I’ve been playing with these flavors for a little while now but I’m still learning just like everyone else here. Taste is totally subjective. I had a bottle of a vendors juice for about 4 months. I was trying to clone it and I got bored. I sit it aside and the other day tasted some on my hand and the sweetener was pretty much all I tasted. It’s almost like that stale sweetener taste. Yuck! Idk what I’m trying to say. I don’t like vaping or tasting old juice. I carry around 4 mods a day and all have different flavors in them. I don’t mix more then 30ml at a time bc I get bored of flavors. I do agree some things need a week or 2 to make them better but I’m a firm believer that if it taste like sh*t when i mix it what makes me think it’s gonna be better in 2 weeks. if I see potential and think it might calm down then I’ll give it a chance but If not it goes to cuzo or the trash.

5 Likes

Hey, each to their own right…?

4 Likes

In general I sort of agree that if a juice is not great after a couple of weeks then it won’t get better but I have definitely had exceptions. I don’t mind spending money but at the same time hate throwing out juice just in case. I had made a recipe using mainly FA and INW flavors from a popular mixer but after 2 weeks I thought it wasn’t great. I just put it into my fuhgeddaboudit drawer, tried it again before I was about to throw it out after 4 months and wow, so much better that I made a 100ml bottle to steep for however long it takes. That wasn’t the only one either but it usually involves creams or custards getting richer. I had one recently with RFSC watermelon and strawberry, shake n vape was a disappointment but forgot about it and after a couple of months the flavor really popped. I made another 30ml to change a few things and with a drop on my finger it is sweet and tasty but hardly any flavor like the steeped version when I vaped it.

Everyone is different though and steeping is a PITA, if I can avoid it I always try.

4 Likes