Realizing a few things about DIY

Getting ready to make this now…just need to come up with a recipe name to honor eStorm! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It sounds like you’re very new to things, so I’m going to throw some general info… (apologies if you already realize/understand how hardware plays into your mixing needs.)

For some of us, this is very much the case, and IMO it’s a hard and fast truth! Having an aversion to the throat-hit that alcohol containing flavors (which is the majority), and the way they indeed color the taste within a fresh mix (which has not had time to properly off-gass), and factoring (in addition) the fact that no flavors have had the chance to sufficiently embed themselves (homogenize) into the VG… Unless you use an ultrasonic with proper heat levels, or other such homogenization device… There is only time.

Best tips I can offer for DIY:
Even most fruits need 3 days (some need more) to settle in.

Trust what your mouth/throat, and body tell you.
Mix according to your body needs first, and then continue to search for hardware (atties) that match your needs/style.

Promote NO ONE to “DIY God” status (even mentally) on any forum, until you know your own thoughts, on your own flavors, so that you are then able to:

weed the wheat from the chaff (people who just parrot, but don’t know what they’re doing), and further,

be able to learn and apply things from those who you may not like, but are still talented mixers.

Best of luck, and welcome to ELR!

10 Likes

The magnetic stirrer really helps that much? Hmm, maybe I should get one? Any particular type/brand you recommend?

2 Likes

It’s not necessary for people that just mix for themselves at home, and let the truth to be told, it still needs settling/steeping time after. However it does give you a result faster, than just shaking and putting it away. As well as bigger batches being better/easier mixed, frother might have issues. I sometimes need that if I look for combos, sft, bigger batches or mixing something last minute for myself or some friends.

No idea about a brand, I got mine from a friend that just finished his degree, since he wanted too upgrade his. I think we have some magnetic stirrer topics on this forum tho, give it a read and decide, I would say :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Please as others pointed out, I don’t want a medal or badge etc. But what I like too accomplish is helping you, and others if I can, again taste is subjective even if you like it, there’s no reason to honor me. Just give back, meaning that next time somebody needs some help, do the same.

That’s how we all grow, and if you hated it, that’s OK as well, just give some feedback if you like, so others and I can point you in different directions and learn.

But I do appreciate what you were trying to do. Thanks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ll stop right there and tell you that there is a such thing as SNV or shake and vape. It’s not a matter of will it shake and vape but to create it shake and vape. I’m glad I saw this because I made one last night to shake and vape. I have it private but 'll post it here for you to try and see for yourself that SNV is a real thing.

If you want more SNV or need some help you can always message me, I’ll message you as soon as I can.

8 Likes

Even though we disagree, you’re still a legend/master mixer in my book! :kissing: :wink: lol

Don’t hesitate to take him up on it!
He’s Seriously gifted when it comes to mixing!!

9 Likes

I may should have said SNV isn’t for everyone and there are those “religious steepers” that won’t try a mix till it’s a month old but to each their own. I happen to have both LOL. I would like to mention though, I do have a few recipes that do not change much at all after steeping but, again, that is my perception and someone else may have a totally different experience.

8 Likes

lol No worries. I was pretty sure I knew where you were coming from… Though I’ve been wrong before! chuckles
I appreciate the clarification.

I’m definitely not one of “the religious” (per say), as I have quite a few that are ready to go after 48-72 hours.

But I have a strong sensitivity to throat hit (be it from alcohol, flavor molecule, or nic), so I’m pretty sensitive to it unfortunately.

That’s why I suggested “trust your body” first. Part of me envies those who can SnV. But, “in my world”, there just isn’t one. Yet. =/

4 Likes

I completely understand @Sprkslfly and makes sense because I like a little throat hit.

4 Likes

I have been one of the loudest SnV deniers, but I recant my testimony. All recent work at testing and development have been making SnVs. I have only been vaping SnV recipes for months, trying to see if steeping offers major improvements before posting here in the SnV thread. True SnVs are rare but if you started to focus on them exclusively you might be pleasantly surprised.

Like many, I love my Custards, but development can become a drawn out affair (steep times between testing). Focusing on SnVs has put a margin of Fun back into my mixing YMMV I’ll post it up in the appropriate thread when I have more data. There are just too many Newbie claims at Shake and Vapabilty clouding the truth re: SnV recipes …of course there’s always that Subjectivity element.

7 Likes

Oh so true. Personally the closest I come to SnV is a one week steep. And come to think of it I haven’t done SnV since I started mixing two years ago. Simply prefer to mix a bunch every couple of weeks, add it to the steep drawer, vape as I go, repeat…typically there are three mix sessions (10-20 bottles) in the drawer at one time.

4 Likes

There are some that I enjoy freshly mixed right after a very good shake. I find that the simpler the mix, the better chance of working this way. Not a hard fast rule, but I’ve noticed a 3 or 4 flavor mix takes much less time than a 10 flavor mix to be coherent.

Here’s one I made last night and vaped it all night after mixing. It was very tasty directly after mixing, but is a little better this morning, and will hopefully keep getting better until it fully steeps.

4 Likes

Thank you. I shake with both arms till my wings hurt. Is that enough? :rofl:

2 Likes

Garsh, that looks interesting :yum:

2 Likes

I wish I could get to that point. I mix 120mls of one recipe and then go on the lamb until it’s gone :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

I do not mix without a magnetic stirrer, never have, and never plan to.
I am sure I was at least one of the first, ever, because I have used them
for over 50yrs for my lab work. Just seemed natural to me and my understanding
and experience with ‘blending’, and I don’t mean margarita’s.

BTW, where is the link to your stash, eh? [young man…hahahaha]

P.S. My margaritas are shaken

2 Likes

I was too embarrassed to make it public but upon your special request I have acquiesced. I still have more to add but as I’ve said, I tend to go on the lamb. Maybe with a bit of nudging from a labrat I’ll get inspired. “Let’s go on up to the lab and see what’s on the slab…” Bwahaha

5 Likes

When mixing large batches I like heating the vg and pg to 140 degrees Fahrenheit then I let cool to about 90 degrees then add flavoring … and if adding nic i add nic last after mix has cooled even more…

Small batches or test batches I use that trusty hand mixer…

2 Likes