Recipe questions after first attempt

It will take about 6 weeks for those flavors to homogenize and fully steep. I might suggest mixing a new batch but be careful to make lt exactly correct, take notes exactly what was used in the first bottle but not dispose of anything yet, you will need notes to later adjust the flavors in that bottle if it is un-vapable.
Congratulations on your first mix, your well on your way to being free of the high cost of commercial e-liquid, and having a better tasting line of e-liquid specifically tailored to your own taste preference!

3 Likes

sometimes my juices get like that after driving in the heat or when im outside playing with kids and leave in sunlight… also imo and experience having 10pct cream over 5pct LMP or any fruit flavor will mute / take over especially after a steep …

3 Likes

It certainly would seem so and it explains what I’m experiencing. Its a good learning experience. Thanks for giving your thoughts…networking is good :smile:

1 Like

6 weeks??? :astonished: I didn’t know that steeping could take that long. Funny thing is that this mix was passable at first and has just got steadily worse…it makes me wonder if the original recipe will work…I might lower the cream percentages or maybe add some lime or dragon-fruit.

With regard to notes I always add all my mixes via the create recipe function so I will always have a reference. Nothing worse than making your favourite juice of all time and forgetting what was in it :pensive::grimacing:

4 Likes

Yours is nothing to fear, fear this!

3 Likes

So i’m guessing the one on the right is the same as the left but gone bad?

1 Like

the left is 3mg and the right is 12mg, only difference and steeped at same time

2 Likes

Ok so question is the 12mg still vapable? I am wondering about nic concentrations now. I notice that a lot of the recipes on the recipes site are made at low percentages. Is the nic a big issue in terms of flavour results ie. does it really affect the finished flavour a lot?

My nic arrived with a very slight yellow tinge but it seems to be odourless and more of a feeling on the tastebuds when you vape rather than an actual taste…(I think)?

Also were these 2 steeped under exactly the same conditions??

1 Like

I have a friend who likes to hide his juices for a year before getting them. He’s said repeatedly that the juice he likes the most takes a full year to mature. 6 weeks really isn’t a big deal once you get the conveyor belt working and always have some steeped juices in the pipeline.

2 Likes

Yep…agreed…need to mix up several recipes at once to start the process…I’ve got some shake n vapes of some of my favourite juices…its the impatience though.

But heeey…patience is a virtue :innocent:

2 Likes

I’m deeply impatient with juices. It was very painful for me to take the time to build up a backlog, partly because until you DO make a few spot on, repeatable recipes, you wait all that time just to find out it still needs work. Believe me, many is the time I’ve dipped into the Steeping Chamber against my better judgement just because the devil on my shoulder blew my patience. It may be a virtue, but damn it’s a bitch too.

Oh, and about your original question… Take notes and log what changes you made, even if unintentional. It is obviously not the recipe you set out to emulate, but who knows… maybe you will like it better than the original after they’ve both been steeped and compared.

2 Likes

Some say they find a different taste when mixed at higher nic levels but I have no experience there. I am sure you can find info on that in a forum search tho.

2 Likes

Creams especially Bavarian cream is notorious of muting juice, at higher percentage, but also takes a long time too steep.

Lemon Sicily (FA) is the quickest to fade but also needs 3-5 days of steep before even showing up. Lemon meringue pie v1 takes a long steep. If you would add to it, try lime not lemon. It contains enough of that artificial lemon, in my opinion.

in general it’s a very muddled flavor/one shot to begin with, you won’t find distinctive layers if that what you wanted, making it somewhat difficult to even add to it, without over doing it and muddling it even further.

12mg nicotine, free base I assume? You will have to increase flavor percentage.
Even more if you vape it at max VG on top of that.

Give that whole mix at least 2 weeks of steeping, adding the lemon in the last week.

Don’t store it in direct sun light, or any light and I also wouldn’t store it in the fridge.

3 Likes

Thanks…this is really useful information…if a bit dispiriting.
I was aware that the creams and LMP would kind of mix to a one flavour but I was expecting the lemon to come out as a strong top note. I really like the creams as a flavor but I can also see the logic in that they need to be used sparingly but then need a long time to even be distinctive.

I have around 35 single flavours, 20 FA 5 CAP 4 TFA and some others so this was only a first try of someone elses suggestion with a bad mistake too so I have plenty of other options (I hope)!!

It was mixed at an 18mg/ml nic concentration and yep not salts. 30PG/70VG. I wanted to vape it straight away and it was really nice at first including the mistake although the lemon was quite subtle but its only been 3-4 days and its not nice so wondering if its worth repeating. It is if the problems are all down to the increased creams put in in error.

By the way what’ the point of having a flavour which fades…you certainly couldn’t use it commercially???

Thanks again…very useful discussion.

2 Likes

You can but need to accumulate for that.

Let’s say I want a lemon custard, first I would go look for a less fading lemon lol, but let’s say we stick with FA’s for the example.

My custard that I chose let’s say steeps in a month, if used at 5% (just picking a random number here), then I look at where I want that lemon to sit and set the percentage accordingly.

If I want a bright top note that sits “above” the mix, I set the recipe to 3-5% of that lemon, by the time it’s “pre steeped” it will be faded enough to accomplish just that. If you would vape that a day after mixing, probably would never vape lemon again, so it’s crucial to wait or commercially “pre steep” it lol.

If I want it to melt into the custard, I would go with around 1.5-2%, because by the time it reaches the “pre steeped” phase, it sits just there.

Now keep in mind, most recipes layer 2-4 fruits of the same kind, but different manufacturer plus adding a certain “boost” to specific profiles, enhancing the main note, in your case lemon, or even “masking” other components that otherwise might be off putting.

Boosters could be, but not limited to lime, citric acid, malic acid, smooth, ethyl maltol, sucralose, cactus, apple, guava, lemonades, Dragon fruit, Jack fruit passion fruit etc.

On top of that a most commercial liquids are out of proportion and used at much higher percentage, as well as sheer amount of sweetener of any kind, this not only gives people the impression it’s well balanced but also “tasty” and most likely at that strength be able to be picked up by most destroyed taste buds and hardware.

If you would remove that “sweetener” and put the percentage at a reasonable level, without hitting the high ceilings, most but not all of course, would taste pretty bad or below average.

This of course is just my opinion and not a fact, or should be taken as such and everybody has different opinion and experience with that. I don’t try to discourage you, because at the end it’s you that needs to vape it. If you love it then that’s all it matters :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My custard that I chose let’s say steeps in a month, if used at 5% (just picking a random number here), then I look at where I want that lemon to sit and set the percentage accordingly.

So I need to clarify what you are saying…so we steep the custard mix without the lemon until fully ripe.

If I want a bright top note that sits “above” the mix, I set the recipe to 3-5% of that lemon, by the time it’s “pre steeped” it will be faded enough to accomplish just that. If you would vape that a day after mixing, probably would never vape lemon again, so it’s crucial to wait or commercially “pre steep” it lol.

Then we add the lemon so that the custard is at 3-5% of the lemon?? Is that correct? Or do you mean that we add the lemon at 3-5% if the custard was 5%??

If I want it to melt into the custard, I would go with around 1.5-2%, because by the time it reaches the “pre steeped” phase, it sits just there.

Same as above. Sorry but not quite getting this. Advice always appreciated. The more you know the less unvapeable juices you’ll make :thinking::smiley:

1 Like

Yes and no. After you mixed for a while, you will know the steeping time of the concentrates you’re using, and in which state you enjoy them the most.

My example was based on commercial, but it does apply at home too, just a bit differently.

You can steep the custard and add the lemon later, a week before vaping it as example, in that case you keep a “normal” and reasonable percentage.

If you choose not to do that, but rather mix it all at once, you would have to set the percentage much higher, if you know that flavor is going to fade rather quickly.

That is what I mean, if you’re mixing it all at once with that specific flavor. Other brands would have different percentage. This also includes the brand of the custard as well as the “heavyness” of the custard itself.

I’m sorry for the confusion, but what I’m trying to say is, get experience with your flavors either as single and in mixes. Don’t rush it, who knows maybe you need a higher/lower percentage, maybe it’s after all not the profile you wanted etc. But none of us would know that, since there’s no actual rules to diy.

2 Likes

I really appreciate your advice. This particular mix would definitely fall into that category for what i was aiming for.

I hope we’ll discuss some other stuff later…hitting the hay now. Cheers.:sleeping::joy::joy::smile: