Regular Nicotine vs. Salt Nicotine (Steeping time difference?)

Has anybody noticed a difference?

3 Likes

Yeah I searched the site. And google. From what I could find, there’s a post about the added acid (in nicotine salts) inhibiting color change - Nicotine salts vs. free base nicotine - but @woftam didn’t comment on the actual flavor notes being steeped (unless I’m misreading something).

3 Likes

There is no difference IMO. For the most part the colour change you see is just nicotine and flavours oxidizing.

I took this to show a different point but it applies here too.

On the left you will see a juice (with creams and fruits) that was aged since the 15th of December on the right (with slight bubbles) is a mix that was mixed on the day of the photo (heating to 50c and stirring for an hour)
photo was take on the 31st of Dec)

7 Likes

Does one of those bottles have a salt nic recipe and the other regular nic recipe?
Btw, I appreciate you testing this stuff out––props.

I’m just thinking here… Not a scientist by any means…
The acid in nicotine salts preserves the nicotine from oxidation -> When that acid is dispersed into the recipe, it coats everything -> Theoretically, the vg/pg/flavoring/nicotine would all be preserved by the acid = longer steep time and we can visually see that through the lack of yellowish color.

3 Likes

No, they are both salt - it just shows the lack of colour change over time.

I think you may be under the misconception that colour equals steep IMO this is absolutely not true. I believe that colour equals oxidation and nothing more.

The only thing I believe happens with the aging of the juice is that the ingredients become uniformly distributed throughout the mix over time. In other words, if properly mixed with the right equipment there is no need for aging - unfortunately for us, the right equipment is extremely expensive and out of the reach of many of us. As a result, we use the next best option which is aging which will do exactly the same thing.

7 Likes

I’m curious of the nic mg. I’ve had some mixes that stayed as clear as day1 for months (@1-3mg nic mostly MF Fruity mixes). This the exception tho as most my mixes does show some color change over time… all freebase nic.

4 Likes

I switched from freebase to salt nic some time ago, and I almost exclusively mix 3mg. After switching to salt, the same recipes remain crystal clear instead of going yellow-ish, and the mixes that were deeper yellow or even amber, get a light yellow tint (mostly due to flavor color I think)

5 Likes

@AdamT Since you brought up Acids and Regular Nic vs Nic Salts. If you are trying to decide on the type of Nic you should use. I wouldn’t base it solely on how they steep.

Please consider…

How many mg/mL of nicotine do you need.

What kind of device are you using and it’s wattage and temp output.

And what wattage and temp do you like to vape at? Some people do like HOTTER vapes.

Not exactly sure what temperature the bonds break between the acid and Nic salts making them a concern. But it is an important thing to consider. If they do bond with Flavors differently? Sorry I just don’t know Ive only used Salts.

Nic River has a lot of good replies and advice for using their Nic Salts. If you open this video in YouTube directly you can read them all.

3 Likes

Happy new year mate good to see you dropping by :+1:

That mix is 3mg but most fruit mixes will stay crystal clear whereas creams custards will turn a light yellow over time as opposed to a much darker almost brown that many mixes (custards in particular) turn over time with Freebase.

6 Likes

I am also using salts and just had a brainwave.
Seeing as salts stop nic oxidation has anyone tried steeping differently.
Ie in a warm light place to see if it steeps quicker.

Ps feel free to split this if wanted.

2 Likes

I have noticed something different with nic salts but not real sure if it’s that yet…noticed coil gunking a LOT faster compared to regular nic. Before, when using regular nic and a particular flavor liquid, I’ll have to rewick once per week. When using nic salts, I have to rewick every other day. Doing a self test now so I can tell for sure

3 Likes

I use salts and haven’t noticed a difference. Some juices I get up to 2w some 4d. Same with freebase.

1 Like

what i have found is…i add my flavors…shake…then my nic salt…shake…let sit over night…next day add my VG…shake…I found my juice flavors mix faster…i did same with free base an did notice a differnce in the 2…but i only mix fruits an drinks…no bakery stuff…

1 Like

i want to say 2x as fast

2 Likes

I mix with 250mg at 8mg for myself in the mix. For my uncle 18mg; some of his are freebase, others salts. Same coil life with both using drop in coils. I use rtas and get the same wick life.

1 Like

Wonder why it messes coils so badly? Like it softens the wicks to the point to where they just pull apart after 1day use

1 Like

Not sure what ya mean but if ya mean cut in 2 then it u cookin it, not dripping or wicking fast enuff. i may have jumped the gun blaming salts for my gunking since i changed a few things at same time tho. When i started using s.s wire and salts i noticed more gunk so not sure which to blame. i use hemp in everything i can short of leaking the whole tank which always looks brand new when i yank it to clean the coil.

2 Likes

I’m getting bubbles like normal, good liquid to wicks like normal, low power. Everything is the same as before…just using nic salts now and noticed a change in speed in which coils gunk, softness of wicks after a day. I’ve got “orange cream” (brand new mix ) in right now but this time using regular nic. I have been using the same stuff for the last 2 days with no change in flavor.

2 Likes

Would be curious if it does have an effect that some flavorings does as far as gunking does. not something i could accurately measure tho since am always dumping random mixes in rdas and using different ones.

2 Likes

Hmm bit of weirdness - I have never seen extra gunk from salts before but i have not used FB nic in forever.

5 Likes