Regulation of Flavors in Tobacco Products (FDA) (Comment period now open until 7/19/2018)

When I submitted my comment, there was a field on the side that said the number of comments received was the area of 1300 but only 35 were posted. Sunday morning when I checked it, the number of comments was over 3100 but only about 800 were posted, mine still wasn’t. Today when I checked, the field at the side listing the number of comments submitted is gone and only 821 comments are posted. Scrolling and skimming through, I’ve yet to see anything in support of this. All of the comments are how flavors played a crucial roll in helping them quit smoking.

3 Likes

There’s a new survey just been released yesterday that could be very important in addressing what you mentioned. It’s designed by Dr Farsalinos and uses FDA software so it will be admissible as part of the comment period. When completed it will be analysed by his team and submitted as a paper for peer review, it will then be published in various scientific journals. They will need at least 30000 people to take part and it will be for US residents only, the survey is detailed and should take around 20 minutes to complete. I have more details and a slide show from Dr F if anyone wants to know more. US vapers need to get people on board with this and pass it on to any vendors you deal with.

3 Likes

Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos Announcement for the flavors survey
Dear US vapers,
Sorry for the delay in launching the flavors survey. As you may know, we are using an FDA compliant software for surveys, which is of vital importance for the FDA to accept the results of the study. The questionnaire has already been uploaded, but the software company needs to validate the survey. Additionally, we want to make a final check on the question logic so that we avoid any mistakes that would create problems in the analysis. We think that the survey will be online and ready for recruitment today. We will keep you updated. Of crucial importance, we need absolute honesty in your responses so that we have realistic and representative results.
Best regards to all vapers in the US.

3 Likes

How do we know this is legit? How could someone write this, distribute it to people and not expect it to leak? The line “As dear Stanton suggested…” is fishy. Why would one Dr. refer to another as “dear” in a professional memorandum? I don’t doubt that this behavior is legit, but I’m not buying that memo without some provenance.

Is this today? Is it up yet? When it’s up, can you post a new topic about it with the link? I’ll pass it on to every vaper I know who isn’t already here.

2 Likes

I’ll post it the minute it becomes available. This is the link to the slide show that should explain what the survey is about (hopefully it works).

2 Likes

I think we can know it’s legit just by looking at the ‘research’ and ‘studies’ that have come from the man himself. How flavour bans have come into effect in areas of California based on the outright lies he and his department spreads. The accusations of professional plagiarism and harassment, the cherry picking of data to support his agenda and the mountains of money being funnelled to him and his departments from pharma and the master settlement agreement would also suggest that it’s pretty damn accurate.

2 Likes

I don’t doubt any of that about Glantz. It’s the actual memo I question. It strikes me as being faked. I’m just curious as to how one could know that it is a legitimate memo by Dr. Karen Smith.

Maybe because they’ve actually done what’s said in the memo.

1 Like

Take the survey, here is the link

https://secure.dacimasoftware.net/CSURES/A/FLAVORS.1/2/

I already started a new thread for it when it went live.

3 Likes

Is that the thread with the title something about :High End Mod Giveaway"…?

I completely missed it because I don;t give a darn about “Giveaway” Threads, so never click on them.

I suggest a title like:
" IMPORTANT - Action Required Take FDA Flavor Survey"

with the correct link:
" IMPORTANT - Action Required Take FDA Flavor Survey"

Thanks-

Thanks for the reminder, I completely forgot to change the title back. I was trying to catch some of the Team Free Shit crowd because there was so few views on it.
The link is the correct one as it came directly from Dimitris Agrafiotis who in turn got it from Dr Farsalinos.

2 Likes

Super glad for the link, heres my wordy comment!
I started smoking when i was 16. It turned into a pack + habit a day. I tried various things to quit or cut down on smoking to no avail. In desperation, i followed the innovative progress of vaping and eventually jumped on board. I have been vaping for two years. I have not touched a cigarette in about 22 months. The biggest appeal was the wide variety of flavors, but little did i know, there was other more miraculous things about to happen. My chronic bronchitis went away, coughing is a thing of the past. I can breathe and chase my children around the house with out running out of breath. I do agree that suggestive names of juices that appeal to children is a fair thing to do away with. I do not agree that banning flavors would be beneficial to the fight to keep our children away from vaping. I believe we as parents have a duty to our kids to teach them about harmful things, to expose them to the harsh reality of life. I believe that vaping will keep me alive long enough to see my grandchildren play. I believe that vaping saved my life. I refuse to go back to cigarettes, but taking away flavor options will hinder my success. I believe vaping gives a better future to ourselves and the people around us.
It is an amazing thing when the people are asked to speak up about issues that directly affect us. Thank you for this.

5 Likes

This is worth sharing as he’s the architect of a vast amount of anti-vaping propaganda. It truly baffles me how this charlatan can be handed literally millions by the US government and various organisations.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/ucsf-professor-faces-second-sexual-harassment-lawsuit/

2 Likes

Comment period has been extended for 30more days to 7/19/2018

If you haven’t submitted your comments, please do so. Link for entry at top of thread.

3 Likes

Commented yesterday, thanks for sharing the extension.

1 Like

I just checked this a while ago and there was 187521 submissions but only 15000 accepted. I’m hoping it’s because there’s a big delay between submission and approvals otherwise it’s time for the tinfoil hats.

Just checked looks like mine got accepted

Edit:

2 Likes

Looks like the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids have been getting their comments in too.